Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Pixel size of Doom textures and enemies?

Question

I am using gimped to create my own textures but I am not sure how large I should be making them. I do know how big the textures are in the actual level editor (128x128, 64x32 etc) but those aren't the same as the actual pixel/resolution size are they?

Let's say for example I wanted to create a new door texture that was the same size as the vanilla door texture. How big should the texture be in terms of resolution/size? Is there any information anywhere that shows this stuff? Oh, and same question also applies to monsters and sprites in general.

6 answers to this question

Sprites are typically set up like this ????X# or ????X#

???? = the sprite name, such as POSS for zombieman

X is the frame it uses in the animations. For instance, zombieman uses A, B, C, D. E and F is for the firing animation. G is pain, and H to U are the two death animations.

# is the angle. 1 is straight ahead, and it rotates around clockwise until 8, which is diagonal facing right. If it's X#X#, than it's usually mirroring the sprite. So that A2A8 means it will use the same sprite for angle 2 as well as angle 8. If it's 0, then it will be the same for all angles. Typically items and decorations use 0, as well as death animations.

1 texture/sprite pixel = 1 map pixel. Unless you scale the assets, as some engines allow it.

The texture sizes in the editor are exact.

Ah ok.

Bonus question: When making a custom monster (assuming you are using modern source ports) is there some specific rule on how many frames of animation/sprities are used? While browsing through the Doom 2 iwad I noticed that certain enemies have a ton of frames, like the zombieman for example seems to have not only 1 frame for each angle but even more as a part of his walking animation. What exactly controls how many frames are used for a monster and when said frames are used? I am completely knew to making custom monsters so I know nothing lol. 

Guest Unregistered account
On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:10 AM, Ichor said:

Sprites are typically set up like this ????X# or ????X#

???? = the sprite name, such as POSS for zombieman

X is the frame it uses in the animations. For instance, zombieman uses A, B, C, D. E and F is for the firing animation. G is pain, and H to U are the two death animations.

# is the angle. 1 is straight ahead, and it rotates around clockwise until 8, which is diagonal facing right. If it's X#X#, than it's usually mirroring the sprite. So that A2A8 means it will use the same sprite for angle 2 as well as angle 8. If it's 0, then it will be the same for all angles. Typically items and decorations use 0, as well as death animations.

This was very in-depth and helpful, I'd always half-heartedly attempted deciphering the sprite names but always gave up because I can't instantly recognize hex-tier character jumble. Thank you, @Ichor! :3