Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nintendo is finally releasing a new Metroid game and I have to buy a fucking Switch now. I'm such a jumble of emotions because I can't decide whether to be furious or overjoyed. I couldn't care less about anything else Nintendo does, but oh my god new Metroid.

I don't know whether it's really worth supporting Nintendo. They've got a horrible history (monopolization, frivolously litigious), and even some disgusting things in very recent memory. The Amiibos were the kind of DRM everyone hates, but even worse because of the physical nature and sparse supply (perhaps intentionally). Then there's their heavyhanded way of dealing with Youtubers.

The Switch definitely seems to be a move in the right direction, but I honestly wish they'd go the way of SEGA - stop making consoles (though it'd be awesome if they kept making peripherals), and be cool with the fans.

Their business practices are extremely out of touch with their consumers, but they've generally been pretty consistent when it comes to developing top quality games. I might buy a 2DS XL when it comes out. 

3 hours ago, Ajora said:

They should really do something about finally releasing a direct sequel to Metroid: Fusion. 

I assume that's what Metroid Prime 4 will be. Getting the virus out of her body. Metroid has a cannon and continuing plotline. New Aliens means new Metroid.

A new Metroid Prime shows their desperation. They REALLY want you to buy that Switch. 

But I won't. Not until I at least get a new Starfox game that isn't complete fucking garbage and/or a rehash of SF64. 

3 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

They've got a horrible history (monopolization, frivolously litigious), and even some disgusting things in very recent memory.

Don't tell me the A2MR debacle is an example of "disgusting things in very recent memory"

Half excited, half worried. Tanabe is in control of the project and has expressed a lot of bizarre ideas for the direction the series should go in that I really don't agree with. So I'm in the wait-and-see department given I'll need to buy a whole console to play it, and the fact that the Metroid Prime series is sacrosanct to me and if they end up ruining it with another Other M style debacle, I'd rather go to my grave saying I only played the good ones.

Where is my Hong Kong 97 HD remake?! I haven't killed 1.2 billion fucking reds in a while. If Nintendo goes on like this, they are going to lose a potential customer soon :(

I can still hear the theme in my head.

我爱北京天安门,

天安门上太阳升 !!

我爱北京天安门,

天安门上太阳升 !!

我爱北京天安门,

天安门上太阳升 !!

*loops*

26 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

A new Metroid Prime shows their desperation. They REALLY want you to buy that Switch. 

But I won't. Not until I at least get a new Starfox game that isn't complete fucking garbage and/or a rehash of SF64. 

How is them making a new game in a series you're not a fan of considered desperation on their part, but a new StarFox game is totally cool and worthwhile?

I'd like to see both series succeed personally. It's unfortunate that Star Fox Zero didn't quite live up to expectations.

22 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

People still care Metroid? I thought they stopped caring after Metriod prime 3

Nintendo has let one of their most well regarded franchises languish in mediocrity for years now, so for them to reveal two new and promising titles is kind of a big deal. As a fan of the series I'm glad I finally have something to look forward to.

45 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Where is my Hong Kong 97 HD remake?! I haven't killed 1.2 billion fucking reds in a while. If Nintendo goes on like this, they are going to lose a potential customer soon :(

I can still hear the theme in my head.

我爱北京天安门,

天安门上太阳升 !!

我爱北京天安门,

天安门上太阳升 !!

我爱北京天安门,

天安门上太阳升 !!

*loops*

Someone needs to make a Hong Kong 97 mod for Postal 2. Then you could kill f*cking reds.... IN 3D!

43 minutes ago, AgentSpork said:

How is them making a new game in a series you're not a fan of considered desperation on their part, but a new StarFox game is totally cool and worthwhile?

Where did I say I didn't enjoy Metroid Prime? 

On 6/14/2017 at 1:50 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Don't tell me the A2MR debacle is an example of "disgusting things in very recent memory"

What's that? Wanting to sell products with a character that's been dormant for a decade seems like desperation? The fact that the character has been used sparingly seems like complete preservation rather than desperation.

By that logic iD must have been pretty desperate to make Doom 4.

Edited by geo

Nintendo doesn't actually give a shit about Metroid. Metroid sells better in the US than in Japan. Nintendo is a Japanese company -- a big one. They do not actually give a fuck about anyone who isn't Japanese. The US market is completely a secondary concern to the larger Japanese companies; smaller ones like From know better because they want to be financially successful, but Nintendo, Capcom, Konami? They couldn't give less of a fuck. They want our money, but they don't actually care about what we want -- they're happy to just cram another goddamn Mario game down our throats. All this is is Nintendo going "gawwwwwwd, alright, here's a fucking Metroid game, are you happy now?" because Metroid fandom won't shut up and everyone was pissed at how Nintendo completely ignored the series' 30th anniversary last year. "OH IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY? I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, THO"

They're throwing us a bone to sell more Switches and keep us hooked for another 10 years while they make more Other Ms and Federation Forces, which were deliberates attempt to destroy Metroid's reputation so they could point at weak sales and say "see? nobody likes Metroid." I guarantee you they're not going to give any more shits about Metroid until the next console comes out and they need to meet sales projections. They would be just as happy if Metroid fans gave up and stopped demanding new games so Nintendo wouldn't have to make new games for a franchise it doesn't like for a market it doesn't care about and is punishing the creator of for a completely different fuckup.

Ever notice how we don't have Game Boys anymore? Gunpei Yokoi created Metroid and he invented the Game Boy, but then he created the Virtual Boy which was a huge flop. He was "promoted" to a nice corner office with nothing to do, so he left to work on the Wonderswan before he was killed in a car accident. Nintendo was having financial issues at the time and the Game Boy Advance was part of their bid to right the ship, but that would be their last Game Boy model. There was no reason they couldn't have continued to use the Game Boy name for their handhelds. Maybe I'm reaching here, but it's almost like they want to bury Yokoi's legacy any way they can.

The Metroid Prime games were XBAWKS HUEG influences on me, so I'm actually looking forward to this.  Hopefully ideas don't stray too much and they stick with the gameplay and atmosphere that made the first two so amazing.

Too bad I have to buy a console to play it.

57 minutes ago, dethtoll said:

Maybe I'm reaching here, but it's almost like they want to bury Yokoi's legacy any way they can.

I think you were, a bit. The Metroid series is heavily influenced by the west, and has only ever been a niche series in Japan, but I don't think Nintendo actively try to make the games bad. 

Also, I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't develop that much of Other M. I think it was almost entirely done by Team Ninja.

I get the feeling that the Another Metroid 2 Remake fan game they tried to bring down with a DMCA request lead them to finally make their own remake version of Metroid 2.

I'm kinda burned out on Nintendo. I laid down a pretty penny for the Wii U and only ever had 3 good games to show for it. Their business practices are also horrid as mentioned by a few others. Not sure how much stock I put in the "they don't care about the west" theory regarding sales - naturally a company wants to continue to make money off millions of consumers, but they've just garnered so much "meh" from me in recent years that, unless I see something truly mind blowing, I very likely won't be spending money on their products any time soon.

So here's how we evolve the Metroid series past Metroid Fusion:

1. Make our own sequel.

2. Wait for their lawyers to show up.

3. Wait for the official sequel to materialize.

If they manage to make Metroid Prime 4 impressive, I may get a switch. But for the moment, I'll wait and see.

7 hours ago, Ajora said:

Also, I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't develop that much of Other M. I think it was almost entirely done by Team Ninja.

Actually, Team Ninja just did the gameplay. Sakamoto of Nintendo was responsible for the Story and overall direction.

7 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I get the feeling that the Another Metroid 2 Remake fan game they tried to bring down with a DMCA request lead them to finally make their own remake version of Metroid 2.

That was my same thought! The Another 2 Remake was really great, I enjoyed it. And the good thing is, Nintendo listen to his fans and give thought to them. I'm looking forward to the Metroid 2 Remake for 3DS. And I need a bit time, to play the trilogy, I only played Metroid Prime 1! xD

But I'm little worried about, that Retro Studios (developer of the trilogy) don't work on MP4. But let's see how this goes...

Yoshio Sakamoto has honestly kind of ruined Samus with the overt sexualization of the character to the level of a DOA game -- and that's saying something. Metroid has always kind of skirted the edge of objectification, but it ultimately didn't matter as long as Samus was in her armor. But with Sakamoto at the helm they've definitely gradually devolved her into a sad, creepy anime waifu who spends as much time in her skintight body suit as she does in her armor. Even Team Ninja placed the blame for Samus' characterization getting thrown under the bus squarely at Sakamoto's feet.

yeah, wasn't Sakamoto let go of getting involved in the Metroid franchise, at least with as such an important job as he had with Other M, precisely because of how poor the reaction to the game and Samus's character was?

1 hour ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

yeah, wasn't Sakamoto let go of getting involved in the Metroid franchise, at least with as such an important job as he had with Other M, precisely because of how poor the reaction to the game and Samus's character was?

Uhhh...no. That's some serious fantasyland stuff. He's a producer on Metroid: Samus Returns and also worked on Federation Force. 

On 15.06.2017 at 0:28 PM, dethtoll said:

But with Sakamoto at the helm they've definitely gradually devolved her into a sad, creepy anime waifu who spends as much time in her skintight body suit as she does in her armor.

Does she also have a high-pitched voice?

Sort of? The biggest issue was her weird, limp, melodramatic manner of speaking that made her sound like a bored adolescent. Considering Sakamoto's obsession over pointless details and micromanagement of other developers' work during this project, I wouldn't be surprised if he ''oversaw'' the voice direction too.

It's funny how we've reached this point with a character that was apparently supposed to be about 6 foot, 200 pounds initially.