Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2017 Mentionation Thread

38 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Almost without a doubt too silly to be added, but someone gave me the idea. :D

Really like this picture :)

31 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

CotY sounds kinda funny as well...

That sounds they have a plan to break up on January 1...

If Devilution drops in 17, I feel like the collective TNT sequel ought to share the award 

I tried playing Saturnine Chapel last night but it actually made my Asus GTX1070 run choppier on GZDoom than any any Doom wad I ever played, and that's a fairly big beast of a GPU.  But the main reason I stopped playing was because it was, for me at least, not so much an enjoyable pwad as a dying simulator.  My Doom survivor skills aren't what they used to be, what with these decrepit 56 year old hands that don't have the twitch reflexes they used to... Well, I got plenty of twitch but not much reflex these days.

My vote goes to Brigandine.  Nice looking, good lvl design and not unbearably difficult.

It's a pretty good year for GZDoom stuff, so I've been trying to catch up on the major releases.

Shadows of the Nightmare Realm is fantastic. Every inch of it is dripping with atmosphere. I opened up the start map just to get a preview of what the set looked like, but I got hooked and kept playing all the way through.

Waterlab GZD is also very good. Great use of effects and custom monsters.

I wasn't so impressed by Distribution Center. Joel was though, and anything that beats the likes of dead.air and Path Over the Abyss in a major mapping contest at least deserves a mentionation.

On a more Boomy note, I quite enjoyed Moonblood, though I doubt it will ultimately be one of the 16 best wads of the year. Like Bloodstain, the best maps are toward the end, so it leaves a strong impression. Fun story, nice short maps, and a good set of Plutonia-esque custom textures.

Edited by Not Jabba

23 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Water Labs is also very good. Great use of effects and custom monsters.

Water Labs?  Couldn't find it anywhere.  Is this the correct title?

6 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

I guess it's actually called Waterlab GZD.

Yeah, I wanted to know because I wanted to play it.  This wad made me realize something for the very first time in all the wads I've played over the years - that I can't remember a single female of any species appearing in any Doom wad.  It was a blast to see zombiewomen and chicks getting their grunt on in the doomiverse for the first time (that I can remember) in this wad.  Good job, Mr. Enjay, for always trying to keep it fresh.

Waterlab definitely gets my support as well.

For me this is easily the best map of the year so far, by a comfortably wide margin actually.

I'm gonna throw a name in the fire and say Disjunction by floatRand. Just completed it, and it's pretty good especially for a first project. Others may enjoy it more than myself, but it's worth a play. 

TNT: Revilution for the all time Moredeth award. Nothing else comes close.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:09 PM, pcorf said:

Plutonium Sandpit by Kristian "Nebula" Aro

Been playing this a little.  It's got some nice, subtle customizations of some of the monsters, is colorful in that PSX Doom TC way, and it totally rewards exploration.  Also had something I never saw before in a doom wad with the wind and the sandstorms outside.  Very effective in creating a nice atmosphere.  I love when I see new things in new wads that don't seem gimmicky and keep it fresh.  I do get several errors when loading it on GZdoom 2.0 and over, however, like:

Unknown patch ICONMRB4 in texture ICONMRB4

Unknown patch ISONAAMA in texture ISONAAMA

Warning: SkullTree2 and SkullTree1 both have doomednum 6454.

WARNING: duplicate F_END marker found.

I have no idea if they effect anything but I always wince a little at red errors showing up during loading.  Noticed a couple of flashing textures.

I'll second (or third, or whatever number it's on) Foursite. Huge map, with great detail, interesting fights, high difficulty, and an innovative boss battle.

- TNT: Revilution for Mordeth or even cacoward :P

- Waterlab GZD, easily...

- Chapter 2 of Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony, I bet...

- Shadows of The Nightmare Realm, good candidate also...

- Disjunction is a serious candidate too for it, imo

On 6/10/2017 at 2:04 PM, scifista42 said:

Rise Of The Wool Ball - even more impressive than its predecessor, not only because the arbitrary limitations emulating an old engine were loosened.

+1 to this.  I think it's criminal that its predecessor, Shadow of the Wool Ball, was just a runner-up for a Cacoward.  Hopefully, that will be rectified with RotWB.

On 6/10/2017 at 3:50 PM, loveless said:

Stardate 20X7, no question there.

Hasn't this been out for almost 2 years now?

1 minute ago, stru said:

After rounding, yes. :P

19 minutes ago, stru said:

It has yes but, it was released on idgames very recently ;) 

On 2017-6-10 at 8:04 PM, scifista42 said:

I just beat the 1st episode last night and already this mod has had my jaw drop several times over. They've really nailed it with this release and the quality is irrefutably fantastic. Consider this a +1 from me, too.

It just occurred to me in retrospect that Rise of the Wool Ball has the best Doom boss battle I think I've ever played. It actually feels like an honest-to-gosh "video game" boss fight, not just your usual IoS or some crazy dehacked/DECORATE monster like you usually see.

On 10.6.2017 at 9:12 PM, leodoom85 said:

- TNT: Revilution for Mordeth or even cacoward :P

Mordeth maybe, but a full Cacoward? Let's be clear here: Does it do anything extraordinary? It's a good mod but in terms of what it provides it's not really that special. Been there, done that a hundred times before, sometimes worse, sometimes better.

I'd prefer to see those handed out to mods which do something special.

Of more recent things I played, Shadows of The Nightmare Realm would be a definite candidate.

30 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

I thought Cacowards were for the best wads of the year, not the most "original" or "different." It's not an abstract art exhibition.

....So you meant I can't take a photo of cat poop, sign it, frame it, and get a Cacoaward?  

Don't crush my dreams.