Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(this user does not exist)

Custom Cyberdemon Sprites Not Appearing- Why?

Question

It's about time I created an account on this site.  I've been exposed to Doom for a while now, yet I've never really looked into a creating an account on this seemingly cool website.  I have created an account for the sole purpose of asking a question relating to Doom editing, because I'm not really that experienced when it comes to Slade 3 or any editing tools designed for Doom in general.  I'm using Slade 3 to make a wad for Doom II that would replace all of the cyberdemon's sprites with an image of Danny Devito  (I know, it's stupid).  My method of doing this involved creating a decorate script for a new monster that inherited from the cyberdemon class.  In the script, I designed it so that the new class (DannyDevito) would replace the cyberdemon class.  Additionally, I upped the speed from 16 to 34 and changed to obituary to read "(player) was annihilated by the Trash Man".  After finishing the decorate script, I inserted 65 png images of Danny Devito and converted them to Doom graphics.  I even renamed all of the sprites to the names of the cyberdemon's sprites.

However, when I load the wad into gzdoom, the sprites of the cyberdemon are unchanged.  Notably, the speed of the cyberdemons and the obituary message did change in the way that I intended.....but those sprites.....

Also, I've experimented by using both "summon cyberdemon" and "summon dannydevito" in the console window.  Both commands summon the altered version of the cyberdemon (without the danny devito sprites, of course).

I'm not so sure what's causing this problem for me.

(Extra notes: If you're going to ask why I'm making such a wad, here's my answer: "why not?".  Also, sorry if I'm coming off as an idiot)

slade3imagenumber1.png

slade3imagenumber2.png

slade3imagenumber3.png

24 answers to this question

Terrywads are lame but we shouldn't be forcing people to not make them or something, especially since the days of people getting genuinely trolled by them are behind us. Now it's made for people who are actively seeking them out and seem to genuinely enjoy them. This guy's just politely asking for a little help, I don't see any harm in it

IDK if this counts, but maybe the sprites are too big. Downscale them to at least 20% or add "Scale 0.2" in the DECORATE lump.

I said 20% because I hate that picture you posted. 

Well, adding "scale 0.2" in the DECORATE lump didn't fix the problem- it just made the cyberdemons smaller.  I'll try to make scaled down versions of the images and report back the results.

Edit: Is there a quick way to scale down all of the frames at once within Slade 3?

Edited by (this user does not exist) : I'm asking this additional question so that I could potentially save more time and frustration.

If you're using the same sprite for each frame, CYBRA1 - A8 can just be replaced with CYBERA0. Basically there's usually 8 rotation frames for each animation, but since you only need 1, you can just use a 0 instead of replacing all frames 1 - 8 for each. Naturally the same applies to CYBRB*, CYBRC* and so on. Just to save a couple minutes and a couple megs!

3 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Looks to me that you're making a terrywad. Heres my advice.

Dont.

This! So.Much.This

Well, it's basically going to be a terrywad, but without the earrape and the obnoxiously invincible enemies.  Gameplay-wise, this will be fully playable like any other Doom wad.

Okay, it might still be considered a terrywad by some definitions, but at least I'm not adding a million god-tier monsters that exist solely to make your ears bleed.

Terrywad stuff is outdated and very 2013. Why people don't let this thing die.

2 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Terrywad stuff is outdated and very 2013. Why people don't let this thing die.

Some people just like beating a dead horse, even after the remains are but vapor at this point.

5 hours ago, (this user does not exist) said:

Well, it's basically going to be a terrywad, but without the earrape and the obnoxiously invincible enemies.  Gameplay-wise, this will be fully playable like any other Doom wad.

Okay, it might still be considered a terrywad by some definitions, but at least I'm not adding a million god-tier monsters that exist solely to make your ears bleed.

If you wish to have any respect as a doom mapper, you'll stop right now, and rethink. Terrywads are not good, they are trollish and just generally bad. Stop, think what you want to be to this community. If you wish to be seen as a troll, go ahead, but if you wish to be respected as a mapper, this isnt the right path.

First off, I'm not planning on uploading this specific wad to this website.  I don't even have enough knowledge about how this website regulates those kinds of wads.  Secondly, what's stopping me from creating a double-life in this community anyways?  By night, I could be using this account to become the Tommy Wiseau of Doom wads, and by day I could use another account to become a god-tier mapper.  Thirdly, I'm not even trying to be a troll, I'm more of a general Doom sh*tposter because I'm making it clear that this wad is garbage.  Hell, the filename is "dannydevito" and I'm planning on changing it to "dannydevitogarbage" in the near future to make it even more clear that you should not expect anything pleasant from this wad.

Well... It's you're choice so no one's really going to stop you from going through with it. We're just saying we think it's a really bad idea. Secondly, as far as I know, Tommy Wiseau actually thought "The Room" would be a great movie. He wanted to make a genuinely good movie; not something so bad it's good. Thirdly, I don't know the community rules too well but I think having multiple accounts might be against the rules. Again, I don't know so I can't really say if it's actually against the rules or not; but I think it is.

Losing respect as mapper? Jesus man what does it take to get a come back? Make a SUNDER level of detail megawad with cool gameplay? thats BS. especially since this isn't some 2007 troll making this.

Yeah man...better be careful...if you make an intentionally bad wad...Some people on the internet might treat you poorly because of that!