Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

Would you rather...?

Cross a entire map through and fro at least fifty times before finding a keycard/switch?

OR

Stay in one room shooting at monsters pouring from one entrance at least 5 minutes?

-----

Suffer through a complicated dungeon with textures and coloring so bad it rapes your eyes?

OR

Do a lot of platforming with raising pillars?

-----

Keep dying at the same spot at least 100 times?

OR

Die once just right before pressing the exit button at a end of a complicated and really long map where you forgot to quicksave?

-----

Deal with 3000 pinkies after you in a maze?

OR

Deal with 10 archviles after you in a open field?

-----

Deal with a Icon of Sin which only spawns Archviles?

OR

Deal with a 20 invisible archviles reviving at least 1000 dead monsters of all variety?

-----

Choose wisely. MUAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA

5 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Choose wisely. MUAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA

I take it this means you are creating a Doom mod that will implement half of the things you've listed above, and we get the "privilege" of choosing which half? :-P

8 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I make maps like this on occasion, so... :P

5 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I take it this means you are creating a Doom mod that will implement half of the things you've listed above, and we get the "privilege" of choosing which half? :-P

No, no, no...

Spoiler

Not yet, hmphahahahaHAHAHAHAHA

Not any soon, I do plan to use the first two questions though, rest are just sadistical quizzies :D

Stay in one room shooting at monsters pouring from one entrance at least 5 minutes.

Do a lot of platforming with raising pillars.

Keep dying at the same spot at least 100 times.

Deal with 10 archviles after you in a open field.

Deal with a Icon of Sin which only spawns Archviles. 

This is what Sunder map30 should be like. 

Ragequit is the only correct answer in these scenarios. Ragequit and load a better wad. 

#1. 2 - Long, drawn out switch hunts are never fun.

#2. 1 - This could go either way, though it's leaning to 1. I don't really like big jumping puzzles, and I could tolerate bad textures, as long as it's not Terry-bad.

#3. 2 - If I forgot to save and I die at the end, it's my fault. If I die 100 times in the same spot, it's the map's fault.

#4. 2 - Neither sound very appealing, but 10 arch-viles with no cover, while not very fun, will be over with quickly. 3,000 of anything in a maze would get tedious quickly.

#5. 2 - Eventually 1 would end up like #4. And then it gets worse. 2 is better, but even this can be irritating if it's done wrong.

those seem like some really heckin easy questions friend

1. Stay in one room shooting at monsters pouring from one entrance at least 5 minutes.

2. Do a lot of platforming with raising pillars.

3. Keep dying at the same spot at least 100 times.

4. Deal with 10 archviles after you in a open field.

5. Deal with an Icon of Sin which only spawns Archviles. 

gimme some hard ones

being lost is easily better than smash tv style gameplay to me; I love both dungeoneering and platforming; dying at the end of a map to a joke trap would make me cackle outrageously; fighting demons in a dark maze for hours is my preferred Doom gameplay and I already made a map that had invisible arch-viles (albeit ones that didn't attack, just res) so this doesn't actually seem like punishment at all.

if you had put this sort of thing together:

""Would you rather:

traverse a three-key linear hub while a Duke Nukem midi plays

OR

watch a blind Twitch let's player traverse a three-key linear hub while a Duke Nukem midi plays""

then THAT'd be punishment

Its a bit early for an April Fool's map.

Maps like you describe would land in the virtual dumpster for me. If I had to choose between shit and extreme shit, I'd head to the exit (from the game, not the map.)

1 minute ago, Graf Zahl said:

Maps like you describe would land in the virtual dumpster for me.

1 hour ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Cross a entire map through and fro at least fifty times before finding a keycard/switch?

That Freedoom Phase 2 MAP12 that's being thrown out, Graf? ;)

2 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Maps like you describe would land in the virtual dumpster for me. If I had to choose between shit and extreme shit, I'd head to the exit (from the game, not the map.)

This is only purely for fun questions. It is like the "would you have dick sized nipples or nipple sized dick?" because either way it is unpleasant and unbearable and if you had to choose between two evils which one would it be.

Same goes for everyone else.

Question 1: I think the second one, but for the first case it's really important that those 50 minutes were pure fighting and fun adventuring.

Question 2: Second option, at least my eyes are safe.

Question 3: Second option, because that would never happen to me simply because I never leave someone alive in a map before pressing the exit switch.

Question 4: I can't even tolerate a two archviles in an open field, how can I bear ten?. Option one is the one.

Question 5: Quit, close my laptop, go to bed, and ask myself "what am I doing with my life?". Wait... can the archviles be killed? If so, then yes, second option, who said I can't get them to infight 

5 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

who said I can't get them to infight

doom's code says you can't get them to infight....

The only way to get viles to infight are source port based oddities...

To be clear: Viles can attack and kill other monsters. But viles will not be a direct target of infighting.. so you can't get two viles to shoot at one another, as a rule of thumb...

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

doom's code says you can't get them to infight....

The only way to get viles to infight are source port based oddities...

Oh, actually "them" stands for the resurrected enemies.

I say:

1  (I am a masochist probably, but I like that feeling of knowing a map really well, even if I spend 30 minutes free-roaming.)

1  (Depends on how tedious the platforming is, or how much eye rape the dungeon is. But because I have seen some terrible platforming recently, I will say 1)

Me not knows  (It could be that I am missing the proper skill, for dying 100 times at the same spot, which would mean challenging gameplay and self-improvement for me or the author did a terrible design choice, in which case, WHY DIDN'T YOU PLAYTEST THE MAP, BEFORE PUBLISHING THE WAD? But a well placed trap, near the end, can always tease you enough and next time you will play the map, it will be just fine. Plus you may survive it by accident, which adds to the fun. Though, you may also hate your life, if you fail, at that point and it was a lot, what you did before that trap. In that case, a trap sucks. So both are bad and ok, at the same time.)

2   (Open field with 10 Arch-viles will be a good challenge, if it has even only a 32x32 pillar to hide. On the other hand, having to fight 3000 pinkies, with the chainsaw I guess, will be boring.)

1   (I guess I would spam rockets on the Icon of Sin and get the job done, before the flaming begins.)

Unpopular opinion incoming:

3 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I value my lifetime, so this is crap, repetitive, potentially dull, meaningless, uninteresting, tedious, boring and lots of other things that aren't any positive at all... EDIT: Oh yeah, "mind numbing" is also really high up there...

Stay in one room shooting at monsters pouring from one entrance at least 5 minutes?

Any player with at least minimal concerns for her/his own lifetime is best served with this. 5 minutes isn't a long time, and this makes for good excercise.

------------------------------------------------

Suffer through a complicated dungeon with textures and coloring so bad it rapes your eyes?

Sounds mostly boring.

Makes for good practice (hopefully) So this.

------------------------------------------------

Not an issue... For fast UVmaxes I tend to restart/die quite a bit in dicey spots.

Die once just right before pressing the exit button at a end of a complicated and really long map where you forgot to quicksave?

Nope...

OR

10 viles are easy game.... Either stay away far enough so they don't attack, or BFG them to oblivion. Both is nice and simple. If either of these methods don't work, and there's no way to distract the viles, then fuck your map. ;-)

OR

Deal with a 20 invisible archviles reviving at least 1000 dead monsters of all variety?

Both sounds fun... I'll probably go with the 20 invisible viles though, eventhough invisiViles are shit.

4 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

OR

2, I enjoy doing that tbh.

Unfortunately, goddamn mappers make their maps like #1 all the time. Long live linearity.

(yeah, blame the mappers, not the fact that my eyes are burnt like the surface of a supernova after a life wasted in front of the screen)

OR

2 with IDCLIP, because I can.

OR

Resurrect, because I can.

OR

TNTEM cheat, because I can.

OR

I'll skip that map. Guess why?

I would like everyody who chose this answer to record and upload a video to YouTube doing that on map 23 of doom2, no cheats, no turbo, just nomo and movement. To the exit, and back to the entrance, rinse and repeat. I think we'll talk again after. ;-)

My brother used to randomly ask people this question, except his were more like "Would you rather take a bison's projectile shit in the face or drink a gallon of dumpster juice?"

There's no correct answer.

Question 1:

Stay in one room shooting at monsters pouring from one entrance at least 5 minutes.  It's over in 5 minutes is the primary logic.  Also, I've experienced this before; Dues Vult 2, map 23, Hell Cleric siege

-----

Q2:

Do a lot of platforming with raising pillars.  It's not eye rape, therefore less bad.

-----

Q3: skipped for now

-----

Q4;

Deal with 3000 pinkies after you in a maze.  3000 is excessive but with berserk, the first 50 might produce some fun at least.

-----

Q5: later

====

I would rather roam around a map 50 times before finding the keycard, because shooting monsters for 5 minutes feels like an eternity.

I like platforming. I don't like eye raping textures.

Dying just before the exit switch of a long map, because I like to test my endurance. Once or bust.

Pinkies in a maze or Archviles in the open? Pinkies. Definitely Pinkies.

Invisible Archviles? Fuck it, I would rather fight an IoS that spits out normal Archviles.

====

Actually, I'll do whatever what I want. The response to a situation depends mostly on the map design.

On June 17, 2017 at 0:45 AM, Jayextee said:

That Freedoom Phase 2 MAP12 that's being thrown out, Graf? ;)

The old MAP13 was worse. I still haven't figured out how to finish that map. At least I found out how to do MAP12.

"would you have dick sized nipples or nipple sized dick?"

That's a terrible analogy. It's obvious people would rather have big nipples rather than small dicks.

1. Stay in 1 room. It sounds fun to me.

2. Bad texture maze. I have the automap and I honestly don't mind bad textures and I've had more than enough bullshit platforming when I completed ProDoomer

3. Die once just right before pressing the exit button at a end of a complicated and really long map where you forgot to quicksave? I never forget to save-scum. NEVER

4. Deal with 3000 pinkies. I can handle this.

5. IDDQD. IDFA. Give me both MUAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA

#1 Depends on what type of monsters spawn, and how many at a time.

#2 The former. I seriously hate platforming in FPS games that weren't designed with platforming in mind. Hell, even some that had Platforming in mind still have horrendous platforming sections(I'm looking at you Rott Reboot)

#3 The former. When it's the latter I usually can't bring myself to continue playing and I just stop.

#4 The former. Tedious as hell, but a lot more manageable. I actually detest archvile-centered sections.

#5 I'd probably kill myself irl