Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyTheWolf

An extra weapon for Classic Doom?

I am sure many of you must have already noticed already, but as of Doom II, each ammunition type tends to be shared by two weapons - except for the Rocket. This makes me wonder: what extra weapon Id Software could have had added to a hypothetical third Classic Doom sequel to rectify this? At first, I thought about a Grenade Launcher, since that is pretty much what Id did in Quake, but then, I am not sure Id Tech 1 could have handled it at the time. I also thought about a Railgun, which would use rockets to shoot a perfectly accurate projectile with no splash damage whatsoever.

What do you think?

Also, as a side note, is there such thing as a vanilla-style mod that just adds an additional rocket-based weapon to Classic Doom? I tried Google, but alas, so far I keep getting results pertaining to Doom 2016. I know of larger mods that do add weapons like a grenade launcher and a railgun, but they tend to completely change the gameplay.

its tough to think of another weapon that would use rockets besides a rocket launcher

idk, a rocket thrower? rocket dropper?

Chainsaw launcher. Uses chainsaws as ammo (which is why there's a few lying around) and keeps a monster in hitstun from afar so you can control the fight better.

Yes, I know I know. This is ridiculous I'm a genius and you should all worship me.

52 minutes ago, Spectra said:

(About your ideas: Grenade launcher still a better idea than railgun, but grenade launcher why use rockets, this is a bit strange)

Because, as I said, that is how Quake did it.

but they could have definitely done a grenade launcher

heck, you can still do a grenade launcher using sprite+dehacked trickery. I don't think it would bounce around, but you could...

A. make the sprites look like it's arcing upwards and then use dehacked and give the rocket the extra states needed to show it arcing, and when it reaches the end of it's arc, just keep it at that state until it explodes. granted, then you'd just have a cool looking rocket launcher reskin, but a proper grenade launcher would have different direct hit and blast damage values. or, you could...

B. have the grenade move really fast but turn on the gravity flag and change it's mass so it hits the ground and slows down and then make it simply explode after a little while if it doesn't hit anything. although i'm not sure if that would work, since it might just explode upon impact with the ground, but it might be possible that it wouldn't if it falls due to gravity. you'd have to test it yourself.

anyways i'm dumb and i dont think either of those things would actually work

heck, i dont think you can even change the blast damage in dehacked in the first place :(

frick

I assume a flame thrower because it would use the rocket fuel. It was removed because someone said we need to limit the amount of weapons to 7 because that's all that would fit on one hand.

Maybe it could be like a double rocket launcher or something like that but has a longer cooldown between shots and does more damage overall?  All the doom weapons that have 2 weapons per ammo slot use the ammo realistically like the shotguns both use the same shell type and the chaingun and pistol still use the same bullets, the only two weapons that could really have vastly different effects from eachother are the plasma rifle and bfg because they use pure energy instead of physical bullets.

So by this logic maybe we could have a machinegun rocket launcher that has multiple barrels that shoot 1 rocket per time and reloads a barrel while another rocket fires, maybe like the duke 3d chaingun that has two barrels?   Just my thoughts anyways

I'm thinking something along the same lines. Basically, a Super Rocket Launcher, parallel to the SSG. What I imagine is something like the Scythe 2 Afrit's attack: 3 projectiles, left/center/right. Would really have allowed them to go in an even more proto-slaughtermap direction perhaps!

(Nothing will beat the chainsaw launcher idea though)

I've thought about this before, and I always come back to the triad of Rifle/Flamethrower/Grenade Launcher.

The rifle/flamethrower because they were both teased in promo/beta releases to some extent, the grenade launcher because it kind of logically makes sense and it's a staple in later Id games.

There could be a kit that would allow Doomguy to rig his rockets to function as a remote control explosive. With multiple mines in use, it'll obviously be pretty deadly.  It's a little derivative of Duke3D, but plausible nonetheless, especially if ID implemented it in Doom I/II. Enhanced versions could include proximity/timed mines, a la Goldeneye.

Homing rockets could be quite useful for long-distance skirmishes. But what would be a real blast are RC rockets with a camera feed. Being able to direct missiles through level architecture, for purposes of scouting, ambushing, and picking off various nuisances from faraway would make Doomguy's arsenal into the proverbial Swiss army knife.    

Disable the detonator in the rocket and you got yourself a stake-gun. Could work as a projectile-railgun thing.

2 hours ago, Gifty said:

I've thought about this before, and I always come back to the triad of Rifle/Flamethrower/Grenade Launcher.

The rifle/flamethrower because they were both teased in promo/beta releases to some extent, the grenade launcher because it kind of logically makes sense and it's a staple in later Id games.

The rifle is something I commonly poke about with. Either an accurate burst-fire gun in the vein of 2016's burst rifle, or a stronger, faster-firing, accurate semi-auto weapon (basically a Super Pistol really) both work well. They also go hand in hand with buffing the zombieman.

The grenade launcher runs into the issue of how hard it'd be to use in non-free look gameplay, but something like Skulltag's works fine otherwise.

The flamethrower runs into the issue of being a weaker/clone of the plasma gun. I remember that Wolfenstein for Mac had a flamethrower that behaved similarly.

I did not know Skulltag had a Grenade Launcher.

I also see it is available as a mini-mod on Realm667. Maybe this is what I am looking for!

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

How about a grappling hook or a stun gun?

Both of these can be pretty useful when it comes to dodging enemy projectiles or whatever.

It's a personal preference of course, but I've always found grenade launchers in FPS games to be mostly useless, and I rarely use them (a notable exception is the underslung M203 on the MP5 in Half-Life).

A flame-thrower sounds interesting for spraying down a roomful of low-tier enemies, or possibly a land mine weapon, for making a barrier of explosives to prevent enemies from getting too close.

I'll say this again: Doom needed a flamethrower, for no particular reason other than it being cool. Maybe the rocket ammo could be simply called "explosives" or something, a more generic term that would make it plausible to have a Flamethrower sharing ammo with the Rocket launcher. The flamethrower would basically be a shorter range Plasma rifle that dealt more damage.

If one new weapon could be added to Doom, it would definitely be a flamethrower. Preferably with special death sequences, similar to Strife's flamethrower.