Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

The rocket launcher idiot club

I'm a rocket launcher idiot. I'm really bad at judging rocket splash radius. When the enemy is kinda close to me and there is not much space, I will definitely take some damage while trying to find a good distance to keep. Columns, lost souls, and spectres are my worst enemies. And if there is an obstacle in front of me and I'm not sure if it's low enough, that's pretty much a recipe for disaster. The easiest way to kill me in Doom is to give me a rocket launcher.

Who's with me?

I'm convinced the splash radius conveniently expands, particularly when already low on health.

The only time I use it really it is for taking out large crowds, or rocket jumping while speedrunning. Other than that I don't really use it. I like the SSG or Plasma Gun better

Lotta people don't know this, but the walls are ths true enemies of Doom, and they kill me with my own rockets quite often ;D

I'm pretty lucky most of the time but ill totally eat some damage just to get a rocket in one of those perfect C-shapes in a crowd that will take out 6 imps at once.

4th of July like 15 years ago my friend's drunk dad was setting off expired and illegal fireworks. Due to being drunk nothing was going to stop him because they expired a year ago. They need to be used now before they get anymore expired! I helped out as I didn't want him to end up with a hook for a hand while the rest of the crowd cowered 30 meters away.

I'm uncertain whether it was the fireworks being expired or neither of us having any idea how to set off professional fireworks, but several fireworks went up, came straight down and then detonated with us in the blast radius. We also had to put out the neighbor's lawn that we set on fire.

Anyway miraculously we both lived, but ever since then fireworks just aren't the same when you've been within the blast radius and felt the sparks.

As for games and splash damage... that's how you could rocket jump in Quake engine and later games so I'm cool with it.

Edited by geo

You're right geo, they're so much better after you've felt their burn ;D I had mortars go off less than 10 feet away from me before, fun times heh. Pro tip: always wear leather; check hair first. I'd like to hear a longer version of that story, btw :)

Also, I'd like to know what a professional firework is (aside from maybe a firework that uses an eletronic fuse out-of-the-box).

1 hour ago, Fonze said:

Also, I'd like to know what a professional firework is (aside from maybe a firework that uses an eletronic fuse out-of-the-box).

A firework that holds a job to support a family of four. 

I often get myself killed by teleporting enemies, just when I am going nuts spamming rockets, one spawns right in front of me and then I get killed. Teleportation, my worst nightmare, especially the Pinkies.

Has anybody felt like the goddamn autoaim can result in hitting a wall corner? Like ... if there wasn't autoaim, the rocket would not hot the wall and you would not be destroyed?

If I ever make a DM clan this will be its name and I would require all members to practice their rocket-play regularly.

Join clan RIC and get wRIC'd.

Finally, a Doom-related club I actually qualify for. This is a glorious day.

Yeah, I usually avoided it entirely because I'm a moron. But then I played Valiant, and that finally forced me to learn how to use the darn thing.

What about preparing to rocket an enemy that is on a ledge in front of you, but the autoaim says "oh wait there's a sleeping invisible spectre in this pit between you and that enemy over there that can wait a few more minutes to be killed don't you think? yes you do", because autoaim and infinite height haven't met each other yet or are secretly evil allies.

11 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

What about preparing to rocket an enemy that is on a ledge in front of you, but the autoaim says "oh wait there's a sleeping invisible spectre in this pit between you and that enemy over there that can wait a few more minutes to be killed don't you think? yes you do", because autoaim and infinite height haven't met each other yet or are secretly evil allies.

That or a freaking lost soul appearing suddenly in front of you....

As everyone said, anything that not moves like pillars and walls or faster enemies are nasty factors for you...

50 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

I'd really be up for some all-RL DM maps, if those exist. 

you just gave me an idea...

Splash damage is square. It means that the safe distance might be different depending on your position relative to the explosion.

I can deal with lost souls and rocket launchers, but I hate doors and elevators. They are my nemesis. Once I can finally do a victory cry, their timing is perfect and next thing I see is my face is covered in blood.

Taking cover behind column-like structures during a rocket launcher fight often does more harm than good to me - and trust me, not because of the foe itself.