Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mars873

The hell is this Doom port?

13 minutes ago, mars873 said:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdoom207/

What is going on with description and why is it still unknown having 5k downloads this week.

Damn, I remember thread about that video,source port and author. Sadly, I don't have link for you. 

P.s. Or maybe not, I'm not sure is that guy created destructable brigde under same manner of video in old computer(my memories got weird). Sorry. Atleast you got attention. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

Well, I just tried it and it really what it says, there is stuff like 3D floors and 3D slopes etc. But why have it seemed like a joke for me?

11 minutes ago, mars873 said:

Well, I just tried it and it really what it says, there is stuff like 3D floors and 3D slopes etc. But why have it seemed like a joke for me?

People are weird and they rather create quite useless "true cool hardcore vanilla Doom" source ports under ms-dos systems, avoiding boom/zdoom source ports and their formats and forgetting that time moves on. 

Actually, if I want spice my Dooming life, I can always load chocolate Doom/dosbox and pretend that I'm in ms-dos timeline. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

I suppose he wanted a port that runs in true DOS for whatever reason. The developer of Retro City Rampage created a DOS version for that game just because he wanted to: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/07/how-and-why-one-man-squeezed-a-modern-console-game-onto-ms-dos/

This guy probably did the same.

It's a 'fun' (very subjective) way to challenge yourself as a programmer and learn new ways to solve problems.

Nobody actually understands Carlos. His weird posts and descriptions are nothing compared to his attempts to spam the /idgames archive all because one of his uploads was rejected (simply due to an invalid e-mail address).

The less said about him the better.

It's actually not a bad source port per se, you could think of it (engine wise) as what vanilla Doom could eventually have become, as it's pratically MBF with Room-over-Room extension (remotely related to Eternity's, from which most of cDoom-exclusive maps are converted from, BTW).

The port's author has launched cyber attacks against Doomworld and the idgames archive for YEARS over some baffling grudge so no thanks, let's not discuss him or his port.