Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mars873

Possible source of inspiration for PSX Doom theme.

Who thinks it sounds like PSX/N64 Doom theme

Edited by mars873 : Is this title OK??&/7/7/

Likely coincidental (though plausibly deliberate), but damn, that is very close at the start!

Aubrey was originally asked to do rock music like the original games. He was probably informed (if it wasn't already obvious to him) that Bobby was instructed to lift tunes from popular metal and grunge of the time. He might've taken some slight inspiration, who knows?

Speaking of Aubrey and the direction of music he went in, he had to first convince them to go with his idea. I wonder; did this influence PSX Doom's dark visual style, or was that already in place when Aubrey was brought aboard? Someone should ask him. Not me, I'm not so good at the whole "contacting people" thing.

I also want to ask him on the reasoning behind Doom 64's music, when other games at that time (and today) typically use instrumental music.

Paging @Aubrey Hodges

Might be better to get his attention through channels he's more likely to notice. He's registered here and has indeed posted, I don't know how often he checks these forums, though.

12 minutes ago, Voros said:

I also want to ask him on the reasoning behind Doom 64's music, when other games at that time (and today) typically use instrumental music.

That's a question that's already been answered. He thought that doing ambient music was more fitting, and as much as I love Bobby Prince's music, Aubrey's approach really worked.

The thing I'm curious about is what came first: the dark visual style, or the dark music?

You've already wondered about this and already got an answer:

On lundi 19 novembre 2012 at 6:00 AM, Aubrey Hodges said:

I didn't have visuals to go on for quite some time during development. Lighting and actual textures came after the levels were fun to play (which takes a ton of tweaking). I was given great descriptions of what things would look like which helped a great deal. Eventually they got the actual art and lighting pass completed and we were fortunate that the everything came together perfectly.

-Aubrey

Whoops! Disregard. I guess the music did influence the art direction, seeing as it was implemented later in development when the new style of music was already there.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:53 AM, mars873 said:

Who thinks it sounds like PSX/N64 Doom theme

That song isn't Metallica's.  

am I the only one who hate these "am I the only one who [insert popular opinion]" threads?

Edited by Ancalagon

5 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

am I the only one who hates these "am I the only one who (insert popular opinion)" threads?

Yeah, you're the only one. 

I also hate these uninformative titles that want to trick you into opening the (most likely boring) thread to find out what it's about. Really fucking lame.

I always thought the PSX Doom theme sounded like a slower Danny Elfman Batman theme.

Must be coincidental, since the i am evil rhythm is very march like and quite short, but i gotta admit that i must have heard that song a thousand times and i never noticed how similar it sounds to the PSX doom theme