Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ImpMan11203

Why are you still playing classic Doom?

its the most evocative collection of user-made insanity i've ever laid eyes on

I don't care about the gameplay aside from Doomguy's movement, and I don't really like the original soundtrack so you couldn't call it nostalgia as such, more an attraction to the crazy possibilities of the basic engine.

funny because many games have creation suites and yet they aren't growing their own ALT.WADs unless you consider massive clothestores full of revealing dresses for the female player model in Oblivion to be ALT.WAD

• great gunplay
  • enemies are all fun to fight (mostly)
  • so much user-made stuff that you'll never run out of unique stuff to play
  • i really, really like old PC video games. probably because i grew up with maxis and sierra :p
  • really cool community

There's an odd nostalgia that we get, mainly because a lot of us have been playing Doom since the 90s. It's got very unique PvE combat that was WAY ahead of its time, and even better than what we see in current games. I love the very vibrant saturated colors, textures, and architecture that mappers are always making. There's an endless amount of content with new shit popping up everyday. Awesome MIDI music. There's a very nice balance between luck and strategy when playing. The community is better than pretty much any other gaming community out there. 

That's pretty much it. My eyes like it and my ears like it. It's the main reason why I didn't get hooked on the new Doom game. Colors are dried out aside from some areas. SnapMap is a PITA compared to what people can do in Doom Builder. Music isn't as earpleasing. No versatile CC custom textures that we see nowadays. And of course, no skillsaw. Remake Valiant in Doom 2016 and I'll be all over it like flies on shit. 

1. simple and fun, also cozy because I know every inch of a level

2. incredible atmosphere, especially with the neuromancer-grey sky of ep1. Skies are very important, they set up the tone.

3. magic of glittery pixels of 320x200 resolution on Chocolate Doom. Buttery-smooth graphics just look meh on old games

4. no crap info on the screen, no by the hand gameplay, you never know when a monster is dying, no glowing crap, just what you see and hear

5. SCARIEST THING: you never hear a word in english, just growls, which makes you feel even lonelier, exiled on a hostile environment. Simple but so important detail that stupid loud modern shooters just don't get.

6. SCARIEST THING 2: when you die, you can still  see the world moving along perfectly fine without you, like your existence never mattered (or was that in Quake?)

7. limited color pallete = easy to parse the visual elements of spaces.

in general, life is pretty safe and in turn, boring. For me, its empowering to be challenged in such a way that I have to react accordingly to emergency situations and use tools around me to respond life threatening simulations, even of they're not very realistic. Its the thrill of being in an unfamiliar place and going to a war with a force much stronger and resilient than I am but still having that drive to come out on top. Its unlike anything i can seriously do in my normal everyday life, and I rarely play other games that capture that same feeling.

I don't actually play doom anymore, I just hang around here for the free cookies.

31 minutes ago, gtsgreece said:

3. magic of glittery pixels of 320x200 resolution on Chocolate Doom. Buttery-smooth graphics just look meh on old games

They look meh to you. I literally get a headache if I play in that res for too long, and it's also annoying to me to constantly wonder what those 5 moving pixels actually are.

I have played many FPS games in the past, and some before Steam was a thing, of course I made my account late but oh well. Now there was Wolfenstein, Quake, and Unreal in my life but out of all the FPS games, Doom just hits a spot that no other FPS game have done to me. The games unmodded are still enjoyable for me to this day and some of the levels remain top-notch with abstract design and just focusing on the fun aspect rather than immersion. Also, it is pretty much the FPS game to promote modding and I find it impressive how 24 years later, people are still modding the game to new lengths. So to me, I find it as one of those games with infinite replay value with new content that doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

Also Revenants, I have a craze for them, luckily you can make your own maps to have as many as you want.

Out of many things that could be said about Doom, one of them is that the game has one of the better-designed and well-rounded casts of monsters. Their characteristics allow them to be used creatively in numerous situations, and you can never be for sure how they will work against you. Their level of lethality cannot be precisely measured because of their placement in a level, and whoever they accompany can magnify, or detract from their strengths and weaknesses. Being chased by Revenant missiles as you try to kill the Archviles that enthusiastically undo your hard work, while fretting over the growing cloud of Lost Souls spawning from those hideous brown gas-bags is just one example. You can cause infighting between them, but any mistake in your approaching of the situation can easily put you in a likely-to-lose scenario.

On ‎16‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 8:37 AM, DoomGuy II said:

Cuz my computer is a hunk of shit, so it can't play anything better.

welcome to the club ;-)

On 6/18/2017 at 6:47 AM, ImpMan11203 said:

welcome to the club ;-)

even the cheapest $95 win10 pc stick can run Painkiller from 2004 on max settings, what kind of pc do you own?

1 minute ago, gtsgreece said:

even the cheapest $95 win10 pc stick can run Painkiller from 2004 on max settings, what kind of pc do you own?

a compaq from 2007 it runs well but has no GPU. Doom 3 plays ok on it

The graphics (depending on port) and ease of multiplayer support/access/community are the only things that haven't aged well VS. newer FPS... but that's it. The game, in terms of balance, environment, complexity, level design, difficulty, and continued wad/mod development is truly second to none. I am not someone who has consistently been on the up and up with newer games, nor am I the best classic doom player in terms of speed/efficiency... But I continually return to classic Doom on a yearly basis for months at a time for the reasons listed above while never really returning to the newer FPS. I love finding new mods/ports (vanilla preferred) and megawads when returning to the game after a length of time that offer a fresh set of levels.

And now I'm branching out into the Doomworld community for the first time! See? Something new that's classic doom-related after all these years!

25 minutes ago, Jer Del said:

And now I'm branching out into the Doomworld community for the first time! See? Something new that's classic doom-related after all these years!

Welcome to DoomWorld!

53 minutes ago, Jer Del said:

The graphics (depending on port) and ease of multiplayer support/access/community are the only things that haven't aged well VS. newer FPS... but that's it. The game, in terms of balance, environment, complexity, level design, difficulty, and continued wad/mod development is truly second to none. I am not someone who has consistently been on the up and up with newer games, nor am I the best classic doom player in terms of speed/efficiency... But I continually return to classic Doom on a yearly basis for months at a time for the reasons listed above while never really returning to the newer FPS. I love finding new mods/ports (vanilla preferred) and megawads when returning to the game after a length of time that offer a fresh set of levels.

For a close-to-vanilla experience with easy multiplayer, try ZDaemon. For more advanced graphics and more gameplay options with easy multiplayer, try Zandronum.

I just feel like I can't get the same sort of experience with newer shooters like I do with the classic Doom games.

There's just something about classic Doom that makes it so re-playable and enjoyable.

I'd say the bright and unique textures that can be found in the game, the style of enemies, the sick weapons, puzzles, mazes, not to mention how fast paced it is. Games nowadays just don't do it for me.

Doom is actually infinite, and that's why it will always reach back to its roots aswell, regardless how newer technology is already making us an even wider variety to customize it. Given its impact when released back then and how it lasts after all these decades, the charm of novelty felt then is still strong enough to amaze the community again and again.

... Heck, I'm drowning in cilchés just by telling the truth.