Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BobFromReboot

Coop on deathmatch maps?

I've done some searching and haven't really been able to find if this is possible.

Is there a mod or a sourceport that allows a poor mans invasion game type, where monsters can spawn on maps made for deathmatch?

If not I think that could be pretty cool, and would add extra replay to the billions of existing doom maps.

The monsters could progress in strength/numbers as the map numbers increase.

They could spawn on weapon spawns, perhaps corresponding to monster type. They could also spawn on far player spawns.

Any thoughts?

Wouldn't adding that monster cube spawner thing (and other necessary things to make it work) in several places of the map work?

I think so?

To clarify, I'm asking if there is a gametype/mod, that allows monsters to spawn in maps intended for deathmatch (without monster spawns placed  by the mapper), by utilizing the things already placed on the maps to generate the monster spawn locations.

For example:

I load in one of the 32in24 DM wads using this hypothetical mod, set flag -deathcoop.

Start the game, choose my difficulty, which effects the game just as it would in a singleplayer/coop wad.

Map01, HMP:45 monsters, UV:60. Those are the amounts of monsters that spawn.

Map02, HMP:80 monsters, UV 120. etc.

Kill all monsters, then use the exit. If no exit, level ends when all the monsters are dead.

The types of monsters that spawn could follow the monster introduction/monster amounts of the doom episodes, and doom. Other mods with random monster variation spawns could then sort of piggy back off that, allowing for even more replay.

Edited by BobFromReboot

well you would have to go in the map in doombuilder, use skulltag mode or whatever it's called I forget, and program the invasion waves yourself. not to mention any texture issues when converting formats 

At least that's how i remember it. you would have to convert the map yourself. any random generator would most likely choose bad or unbalanced spots and spawns for an invasion mode. Invasion maps are made by people and balanced to make the experience perfect. I've tried this myself and it's really not worth it but I guess if someone did it I wouldn't complain. hope i answered your question decently enough

So you're asking for a mod that randomly places monsters by replacing other things in the maps? That might break the flow of the map.

Maybe Fractal Doom can serve as a good alternative? I haven't tried it yet, so IDK.

Fractal Doom is a completely different concept. 

It seems like a pretty simple concept to me, generate a monster list based on a difficulty curve, then have them spawn in maps that weren't intended. No special spawn points would be needed. Literally exactly how invasion works on UT2004.

I know it would break the flow of the map, that isn't the point. I guess since nobody is really giving any answers that maybe such a thing just isn't possible?

bioshockfan, I realize I could edit maps to fit other gametypes. The whole point of this thread is asking if something like this exists where you don't have to modify the maps, because it is some kind of script using the location info of player spawns, and using it to put monster spawns.

Edit: It appears somebody has made a similar mod, but only to play invasion on coop maps, not dm maps, and the link is dead.

Edit2: I've never actually successfully programed anything, but it looks like SpawnSpot in ZScript could be useful for creating something like this. 

Heres how it could work.

1. Map is loaded, script reads map number. Chooses number of monsters, and monster types appropriate for that map number based on difficulty selected.

2. Player(s) spawn in map. Ten second counter appears.

3. Timer runs out, monsters start spawning in waves on player starts using SpawnSpot in sequence determined by script.

4. All monsters have spawned, and been killed.

5. Level ends, or if exit is present, changes from killing the player, to moving to the next map. Could have an option to force the first behaviour.

Edited by BobFromReboot

Thank you Turbo Saber! This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

It's actually what I thought invasion would be when I first tried Zandronum, then found out it needs special maps.

Really glad that mod exists, I've had the idea of manually placing invasion spawns in good old DM maps but never got around to it. Looks like I wont have to now!

I know right! I was actually sad looking at all the DM maps that were made over the years... Nobody plays DM on doomseeker, so the maps are almost "gone to waste", playing bots just isn't that fun...but not anymore! And invasion itself doesn't seem to have a lot of maps.

It would actually be nice to see Invasion Simulator built into some sourceports as it's own mode, with more options/variables.

We play loads of DM, but I get what he means - it really is a shame for the masses not to see some of these great old maps since DM is (tragically) nowhere near as popular as it aught to be.

As an aside, I recommend using Doom Explorer and adding Zdaemon (and odamex if you haven't) to your list of servers. You're more likely to find an appealing active server when you have more to choose from! Sometimes you'll see active DMs and I totally suggest getting in on em if you haven't yet :) Even if you're not into DM, cooperative/survival/etc is frequent on ZD as well

Thank you, there's always room for more source ports! I had a feeling that Zandronum with Doomseeker was giving me false impressions. Glad there are people playing more than just megaman, considering I started playing Doom again after all these years to play Doom lol.