Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[RELEASE] - Nightlife, A GZDoom map with a synchronised light show.

Aww yes, I love colorful wireframe stuff like this! What was that fade out effect seen on the borders of the map? I almost mistook that for a HOM. XD

Damn, I want test this so much, but tiredness is more important thing to deal. I'm getting weird cyberpunkish vibes from screenshots, it's a good thing ;)

When you think about it, this is really quite amazing. I can't imagine anyone anticipated things like this coming from the Doom engine over two decades ago. 

Wow...while this maps appearance doesnt appeal to me personally, I will not deny the amount of work, and the amazing talent you have dragonfly. it really does look like an amazing map! Well done!

It's nice to play a neon map that isn't super hard or a joke. This is a fun little playground.

With Bloom effects from GZDoom, this must look absolutely neat. Please let this be the beginning of a Tron-style episode...!

Guest Unregistered account

Mario Kart 8 Electrodrome anybody?

Looks insane, Dragonfly!! I'm booting this up as we speak~

Nope. No 3D sloped architecture from what I remember. There's a lot of slopes, just none of which are 3D. :P

Alright, I played your map. After few loops, music gone and stays silent(I'm not fan of your music choice,sorry :") ). Visuals are awesome, they don't hurt eyes. Maybe, create second version of map - without music,so people could put their music packs and enjoy visuals and gameplay with their music choice. 

I think that's a good idea.  The option to replace the music with your own.  You could probably do it on your own with slade for personal use.  I'd like to see some kind of followup to this or revision, or perhaps others taking Dragonfly's cue and creating a similar wad, where the pulsing-to-the-beat visual aspects are placed even more in the foreground.  It's a gimmick, for sure, but it's a cool gimmick.

maybe it's possbile to make it like an equalizer or whatever those things were called in winamp :D

No matter which song you put, the script will detect it and synchronize the light show accordingly.

1 hour ago, ImpMan11203 said:

I thought Doom doesn't allow that?

Vanilla doesn't, no, but this is for an advanced source port called GZDoom, which has thousands of extra features.

30 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Alright, I played your map. After few loops, music gone and stays silent(I'm not fan of your music choice,sorry :") ). Visuals are awesome, they don't hurt eyes. Maybe, create second version of map - without music,so people could put their music packs and enjoy visuals and gameplay with their music choice. 

22 minutes ago, cacomonkey said:

I think that's a good idea.  The option to replace the music with your own.  You could probably do it on your own with slade for personal use.  I'd like to see some kind of followup to this or revision, or perhaps others taking Dragonfly's cue and creating a similar wad, where the pulsing-to-the-beat visual aspects are placed even more in the foreground.  It's a gimmick, for sure, but it's a cool gimmick.

I like the sound of it, but do bare in mind the fact that the 'visuals' will have almost no relevance to your music and will, as a consequence, look really weird. Imagine the background suddenly strobing during the quiet part of your song choice? The beat will also be totally off unless you beat-match your music. I believe the song I used is 128 bpm.

@MysteriousHaruko as someone who is primarily a metalhead I do agree, but I had to find music that was non-copyrighted and suited what I was going for in the map.

@cacomonkey You're more than welcome to use the textures and have a shot at creating something similar? :D

If both of you are interested in this kind of map, where there's an active light show, you may want to take a look at the 4th bonus map from Skulldash. It's a bit of a meme, thanks to using a midi of "Darude - Sandstorm", so you'll have to uh, deal with that. :P

I've quickly recorded a playthrough for you here:

11 minutes ago, rodster said:

No matter which song you put, the script will detect it and synchronize the light show accordingly.

This is way beyond what's currently available in GZDoom, or any doom engine for that matter - open up SLADE / Doom Builder 2 and view the scripts to see how meticulous it was to craft this, so it's not a matter of 'oh just do this', sadly.

I just tried it, it looks awesome, but my crappy computer wont let me get past the first sector without crashing :-(

i need to buy a new one already...

Ah, I thought there might have been some kind of software-based triac going on with the music beats and light show where it pulses to the sound no matter what song you played.  But I guess it's safe to assume that this is beyond the capabilities of the otherwise miraculous and God-like doom engine.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Unfortunately, I'm sure I have no talent for wad-building and if I submitted something I fear y'all might lobby to bring back the Cacoaward for Worst Wad of the Year just for me ;) 

@Dragonfly you are by far one of the most talented, amazing mappers i've ever met. my god, i'd love to map even a tiny amount as good as you.

Hahaha, well no harm done! Upon reflection I could have used an excel spreadsheet or some handmade software to simplify/calculate the 'beat placement'. Based on the song's BPM, and Doom's "35 tics / second" timing, I seem to recall the beats landing every 16.4 tics, which was awkward to work with. I did use while loops and other things to simplify some of the lighting effects. See how some of the lights 'fade through the colours of the rainbow' at times? Rather than tell it what colour to be every tic by hand I wrote a loop that does it for me:

while(true) {
		if(vargskelethor == 1) {
			if(b <= 5) { vargskelethor = 2; }
			b-=5;
		}
		else if(vargskelethor == 2) {
			if(g >= 250) { vargskelethor = 3; }
			g+=5;
		}
		else if(vargskelethor == 3) {
			if(r <= 5) { vargskelethor = 4; }
			r-=5;
		}
		else if(vargskelethor == 4) {
			if(b >= 250) { vargskelethor = 5; }
			b+=5;
		}
		else if(vargskelethor == 5) {
			if(g <= 5) { vargskelethor = 6; }
			g-=5;
		}
		else if(vargskelethor == 6) {
			if(r >= 250) { vargskelethor = 1; }
			r+=5;
		}
		else if(vargskelethor == 7) {
			if(g <= 5) { vargskelethor = 1; }
			g-=5;
			b-=5;
		}
		sector_setcolor(5, r, g, b, 0);
		sector_setcolor(7, r, g, b, 0);
		sector_setcolor(8, r, g, b, 0);
		delay(1);
	}

4 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

@Dragonfly you are by far one of the most talented, amazing mappers i've ever met. my god, i'd love to map even a tiny amount as good as you.

I uh, don't actually know how to respond to this. I'm insanely flattered, but I've got a long way to go to join the list of 'the greats'! Thank you very much for the confidence boost, I do really appreciate it! :)

13 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

If both of you are interested in this kind of map, where there's an active light show, you may want to take a look at the 4th bonus map from Skulldash. It's a bit of a meme, thanks to using a midi of "Darude - Sandstorm", so you'll have to uh, deal with that. :P

I've quickly recorded a playthrough for you here:

This is way beyond what's currently available in GZDoom, or any doom engine for that matter - open up SLADE / Doom Builder 2 and view the scripts to see how meticulous it was to craft this, so it's not a matter of 'oh just do this', sadly.

Hahaha.  That's cute... and colorful :D  It's like a night out at the local doomgayguy disco... it's, like... a rainbow! <insert old psychedelic Rolling Stones song here> We need to get more chicks in these wads lest all the other modding communities think we're really all a bunch of rainbow joyboys but with big bad guns.  (official and mandatory disclaimer: not that there's anything wrong with that) lol.  Now I've got to go and download this for my collection :D

Don't you mind if I convert these textures in other pallette and recolour them for my future project? I'll give you credit and other required things. 

56 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I uh, don't actually know how to respond to this. I'm insanely flattered, but I've got a long way to go to join the list of 'the greats'! Thank you very much for the confidence boost, I do really appreciate it! :)

I cant wait til I can play skulldash. is it playable yet? because god, you're very quickly becoming one of my favourite mappers, and i've never played any of your maps!

I've run out of likes to give today, first time that's ever happened to me. :P

Anyways, Skulldash has been available to play for well over a year, but the 'expansion pack' that is due to release later this year heavily improves the mod, upgrading every single level and adding at least 10 new ones by myself and other mappers. Would you be interested in being a beta tester of the expansion pack? :)

If you don't want to be a beta tester, the link to the old version is available on the Skulldash website, but honestly the quality jump is worth playing the beta for imho. :P