Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I found out Doom's pregnant. She's been with a lot of guys and last I knew she had head spiders about 10+ years ago. Now that's one STD you don't wanna catch. Man that kid's gonna be a fuggo.

Edited by geo

If you implement either the flats STEP1 and STEP2 or the textures bearing the same names into a map you're making, but NOT both the flat and texture each, the other variant will still show up in the "used textures/flats" whatsoever.

34 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

The rocket launcher sprite has an open "see-through" bit at the top when firing, but this is closed when not firing. What's up with that?

Maybe the barrel is pushed back by the launching rocket, opening that hole and it springs back after the energy of the launch dies down.

39 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

The rocket launcher sprite has an open "see-through" bit at the top when firing, but this is closed when not firing. What's up with that?

The "see-through" indicates you have a rocket loaded. So naturally, when you fire, you can see through, because there is no rocket to block your see-through anymore. ;-)

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

The "see-through" indicates you have a rocket loaded. So naturally, when you fire, you can see through, because there is no rocket to block your see-through anymore. ;-)

So I guess you don't have to look into the barrel to see whether the Rocket Launcher is loaded, and accidentally misfire and blow up your face, only other things will be blown up (eg: your house). What a nice design!

15 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

So is the vent open when you are out of rockets, but not firing? ;-)

When you have no ammo in Doom and pickup some ammo, Doom automatically changes your weapon to the weapon for which you have picked up ammo for. 

For example, I have a shotgun, but no shells left. I'm using my pistol, but pickup 4 shells, then Doom automatically changes to the shotgun. 

There is no sane way to scroll textures in a direction that isn't just left or right without using ZDoom.

So instead of blood flowing upwards, you get an insane blood geyser spiraling around itself. Net gain, I guess. This map for Nova 3 definitely made me love 254 - Scroll wall according to line vector.

^

255 -- Scroll Wall Using Sidedef Offsets

For simplicity, a static scroller is provided that scrolls the first sidedef of a linedef, based on its x- and y- offsets. No tag is used. The x offset controls the rate of horizontal scrolling, 1 unit per frame per x offset, and the y offset controls the rate of vertical scrolling, 1 unit per frame per y offset.

https://soulsphere.org/projects/boomref/#ld255

5 hours ago, axdoomer said:

When you have no ammo in Doom and pickup some ammo, Doom automatically changes your weapon to the weapon for which you have picked up ammo for. 

For example, I have a shotgun, but no shells left. I'm using my pistol, but pickup 4 shells, then Doom automatically changes to the shotgun. 

I was pretty sure that the conditions had to be more specific than that in order to force a weapon change upon picking up ammo, and from looking at the source code, it looks I was right, though the first condition is actually tied to previously having 0 ammo of the newly picked-up ammo type. Here is the relevant vanilla code:

Spoiler

//
// P_GiveAmmo
// Num is the number of clip loads,
// not the individual count (0= 1/2 clip).
// Returns false if the ammo can't be picked up at all
//

boolean
P_GiveAmmo
( player_t*	player,
  ammotype_t	ammo,
  int		num )
{
    int		oldammo;

if (ammo == am_noammo)
	return false;

if (ammo < 0 || ammo > NUMAMMO)
	I_Error ("P_GiveAmmo: bad type %i", ammo);

if ( player->ammo[ammo] == player->maxammo[ammo]  )
	return false;

if (num)
	num *= clipammo[ammo];
    else
	num = clipammo[ammo]/2;

if (gameskill == sk_baby
	|| gameskill == sk_nightmare)
    {
	// give double ammo in trainer mode,
	// you'll need in nightmare
	num <<= 1;
    }

oldammo = player->ammo[ammo];
    player->ammo[ammo] += num;

if (player->ammo[ammo] > player->maxammo[ammo])
	player->ammo[ammo] = player->maxammo[ammo];

// If non zero ammo, 
    // don't change up weapons,
    // player was lower on purpose.
    if (oldammo)
	return true;	

// We were down to zero,
    // so select a new weapon.
    // Preferences are not user selectable.
    switch (ammo)
    {
      case am_clip:
	if (player->readyweapon == wp_fist)
	{
	    if (player->weaponowned[wp_chaingun])
		player->pendingweapon = wp_chaingun;
	    else
		player->pendingweapon = wp_pistol;
	}
	break;

case am_shell:
	if (player->readyweapon == wp_fist
	    || player->readyweapon == wp_pistol)
	{
	    if (player->weaponowned[wp_shotgun])
		player->pendingweapon = wp_shotgun;
	}
	break;

case am_cell:
	if (player->readyweapon == wp_fist
	    || player->readyweapon == wp_pistol)
	{
	    if (player->weaponowned[wp_plasma])
		player->pendingweapon = wp_plasma;
	}
	break;

case am_misl:
	if (player->readyweapon == wp_fist)
	{
	    if (player->weaponowned[wp_missile])
		player->pendingweapon = wp_missile;
	}
      default:
	break;
    }

return true;
}

I've been playing Doom semi-regularly ever since its shareware days but only learned this month about straferunning.  I always wondered how the fuck certain gaps in certain wads could be jumped.  They seemed near-impossible (Water Spirit, I'm looking at you, junior!) then learned that straferunning increases your jumping distance by about 20%.  Now if I could only learn how to do it with any semblance of effectiveness.  I need to create some kind of macro so I can attain the highest level of that trick.  Pressing 3-4 different keys at exactly the precise moment seems too hardcore and out there for me.  Is there a Gzdoom mod or setting that allows this jumping distance by default?  I know PrBoom+ has this setting, but once you go gzdoom you never go back to boom, unless you have to.

@cacomonkey, This is something I just recently learned, but there are 2 types of straferun:

SR40 is just 2 keys, and is easy to practice. Run forward and sideways at the same time -- you get about a 28% speed bonus.

SR50 requires 4 keys, or 3 keys and a mouse movement. Run forward, strafe left or right, "strafe-on", and turn left or right (same direction as you are strafing). This gives about a 41% speed bonus. Most of the time, you don't need this -- I've never played a map that requires it, but I've heard some do.

The PrBoom+ setting makes it "too easy" to execute an SR50, and there was some dispute about whether that feature should be allowed. Something about it giving an unfair advantage to speedrunners who used it, and whether their demos could be submitted to DSDA or Compet-n or something... I don't know of a GZDoom counterpart, but I don't think you need it. Just practice with SR40 for a while, and you should be able to play any "normal" maps.

24 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Teach me how to make this work on a round pillar, where the textures need to be aligned horizontally.

Solution #1: Each of the pillar's sides must be equally as wide as the texture (or a whole multiple of it), then it will align automatically.

Solution #2: Each of the pillar's sides must be exactly half as wide as the texture. Make 2 versions of the texture in a texture editor: A) an identical one and B) one horizontally offset by half its width. Put texture (A) onto one side of the pillar, then texture (B) onto the next side to the right, then texture (A) to the next side, then (B)... The scrolling texture will look well aligned all around the pillar then.

Solution #3: Each of the pillar's sides must be exactly quarter as wide as the texture. Make 4 versions of the texture in a texture editor: A) an identical one, B) one horizontally offset by quarter its width, C) one offset by half, and D) one offset by three quarters. Put texture (A) onto one side of the pillar, then texture (B) onto the next side to the right, then (C) next, then (D), then (A) again... The scrolling texture will look well aligned all around the pillar then.

Solution #4: Same as before with 1/8 width and 8 textures instead of 1/4 width and 4 textures. And so on...

10 hours ago, Albertoni said:

(...)you get an insane blood geyser spiraling around itself. [...]

Boy how much I caught framerate-breaking "wildeliquids" upon playtesting in the phase of me trying out #255.

@scifista42 I think you'll be needing some SubSolutions# for animated textures, unless Albertoni is satisfied enough to have some incredibly "deminanimate" bloodfalls scrolling downwards - at least they're acting docile unlike geysers, don't they. :D

Do liquid fall textures really need to be animated at all if you're scrolling them downwards via a line scroller?

1 hour ago, cacomonkey said:

I know PrBoom+ has this setting, but once you go gzdoom you never go back to boom, unless you have to.

Sez you. :-)

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Solution #1: Each of the pillar's sides must be equally as wide as the texture (or a whole multiple of it), then it will align automatically.

[...]

Sigh, I guess. Other than the first one, I wouldn't call any of these sane though.

2 hours ago, cacomonkey said:

I know PrBoom+ has this setting, but once you go gzdoom you never go back to boom, unless you have to.

I went from GZ to PrBoom+, because PrBoom+ is the vastly superior port in terms of gameplay. The only times I use GZ would be if there's no way around it, because the maps I play involve some Zdoom-istic shenanigans (Tarakannik 3 does this).

In my honest to god and highly offensive opinion, the idea of translucent projectiles is top-shelf darwin-award material, and GZdoom's "quick turn" is so slow it didn't even rate the effort of re-assigning the keybind for it.

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I went from GZ to PrBoom+, because PrBoom+ is the vastly superior port in terms of gameplay.

I wouldn't say that it is "vastly superior" (yet), but I do find myself drifting away from the Z ports in favor of the Boom ports, for various reasons. One being demo compatibility. Another being the more predictable behavior of flying monsters.

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

In my honest to god and highly offensive opinion, the idea of translucent projectiles is top-shelf darwin-award material, and GZdoom's "quick turn" is so slow it didn't even rate the effort of re-assigning the keybind for it.

I like your "honest to god and highly offensive opinion." :-P

2 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

@cacomonkey, This is something I just recently learned, but there are 2 types of straferun:

SR40 is just 2 keys, and is easy to practice. Run forward and sideways at the same time -- you get about a 28% speed bonus.

SR50 requires 4 keys, or 3 keys and a mouse movement. Run forward, strafe left or right, "strafe-on", and turn left or right (same direction as you are strafing). This gives about a 41% speed bonus. Most of the time, you don't need this -- I've never played a map that requires it, but I've heard some do.

The PrBoom+ setting makes it "too easy" to execute an SR50, and there was some dispute about whether that feature should be allowed. Something about it giving an unfair advantage to speedrunners who used it, and whether their demos could be submitted to DSDA or Compet-n or something... I don't know of a GZDoom counterpart, but I don't think you need it. Just practice with SR40 for a while, and you should be able to play any "normal" maps.

Thanks for the tips.  I practiced SR40 on the first lvl of a new wad called Tyrant and was rewarded with my first successful jump over to an otherwise unattainable ledge... and a secret area that yielded a rocket launcher :D

49 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

In my honest to god and highly offensive opinion, the idea of translucent projectiles is top-shelf darwin-award material

May I ask why?

35 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

Meanwhile, turning the translucency off in PrBoom+ will turn it off entirely - goodbye windows you're supposed to be able to see through in Boom maps.

Edited by Da Werecat

1 minute ago, Da Werecat said:

May I ask why?

Translucent projectiles are hard to judge in regards to distance and trajectory when there's several ones coming your way at once. Simple as that. Don't believe me? Play a map with bunches of imps and revs with both ports and look at how consistent you can dodge. My money is on you dodging more consistently in PrBoom+.