Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Chaingun vs plasma?

5 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Other than saving the ammo for the bfg, is there even a reason to use the chaingun once you get the plasma rifle?

Yeah -- hitscan > projectile (all other things being equal). I'm sure you've had the situation where you are trying to hit a lone imp or something on a far-away ledge, and it just keeps walking laterally so that your plasma always misses. Chaingun makes a great sniping weapon.

Also, chaingun bullets can fit over ledges or through windows that would stop a projectile.

I find it handy for chaingun tapping and mopping up trash. sure PR is great at these things too, but if you have the bullets, you may as well use them.

2 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Other than saving the ammo for the bfg

How about saving ammo for the plasma rifle itself. *scratches head* 

Even when ammo for neither is a concern, the chaingun is tactically superior when you need immediate kills against monsters like hitscanners, and when plasma balls are too big to hit the desired target, just to name a couple examples. 

I like to use the chaingun to stun Lost Souls and prevent them from fully charging. It freezes them mid-flight with only a few bullets. You can save plasma cells by doing this with the chaingun instead.

outside of conserving ammo any gun that's better is better.

See.  Reasons have been stated. I just wish the chaingun was more powerful and had a better sound.

First of all, the chaingun is a basic gun for Doom. If you are left without shotgun shells, then you use your bullets and the pistol is not that good from a point and after. That is why the chaingun comes after the pistol.

Additionally, the plasma rifle doesn't have infinite ammo. Having the chaingun cover you, after your plasma is over, can never be a bad thing.

Also, how do you take out smaller enemies like hitscanners and imps quickly? Don't tell me you always use the plasma rifle for that, because then you are blatantly lying. That would only happen if you want to take down a huge cluster of enemies, as fast as possible, but instead you could use the damn rocket launcher and count on splash damage (unless you have little room to move, in which case the splash damage hurts you). 

The chaingun, on the other hand, is always a good way to get rid of hitscanners, quickly and efficiently. If you fire in bursts, you can have good range and keep the damage high enough, to snipe enemies, that can be a pain to deal with otherwise.

And since it can make enemies stagger, that alone makes it really useful. Sure, the plasma rifle can also make demons stagger, but as I already said, it is common knowledge that cells are more precious than bullets or shotgun shells.

I mainly use the Chaingun for zombies, imps and demons, and its a good sniping weapon. Also sometimes use it on a lonely Revenant or Mancubus. Not really using the plasma rifle all that much, some weapons are just better for clearing rooms. 

Maybe it would have been better if the plasma rifle used a different kind of ammo, so you wouldn't have to save it for the bfg. 

Oh, it's the BFG/PG guy. This time we have PG (parent guidance)/CG (child? guidance). Projectile speed is a thing because try hitting things from long distance with Plasma Rifle is _____. Another thing is that Plasma Rifle has a short cool down time when you release you LMB, this can cause trouble while Chaingun doesn't.

2 hours ago, Maisth said:

I Usually use it against hit-scan enemies that are too far

But isn't it hard hitting targets who are far away because of the bullet spread?

Just now, hardcore_gamer said:

But isn't it hard hitting targets who are far away because of the bullet spread?

The first two shots are always accurate. Instead of holding down LMB, clicking LMB continuously will make you 100% hit.

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Only if you hold down the 'fire' button. If you tap it, you'll shoot 2 bullets at a time which will always be right on target.

EDIT: Ninja'd

if you're in a decent enough position you can compensate by tapping the fire button rather than holding it down. The first two bullets out of the chaingun when you hit fire are perfectly accurate. Its slower but it can be used to safely exterminate certain far away threats.

edit: one thing this forum software would benefit from that's in PHPBB is a "someone posted something while you were writing your post" notification when you hit post. heh

Also, you can fire the chaingun immediately while the plasma gun is not, it has like a cooldown animation. And all of the reasons above, accuracy, the tap-firing technique, hitscan vs projectile and even saving the plasma for more threatening encounters...So, basically in the majority of the time: Chaingun>Plasma Gun

The chaingun is very useful for close range AND far range enemies.

Not saying that the plasma gun isn't suitable for both either, but I find myself opting for the chaingun more than the plasma rifle in situations like that.

Well, no, ammo permitting why would you use the worse weapon in any situation?

As an aside i think the Chaingun feels much more useful in Ultimate Doom anyway, thanks to no SSG (which ruined the weapon balance to be honest) and the higher number of mid tier monsters that arrived in D2. Ragging through masses of zombies, shotgunners and imps is still really fun in E1!

Chaingun is great for accuracy and stun-locking monsters up to cacodemon/revenant tier. But otherwise I feel like it's not a very useful weapon, which is a shame because I love how it looks and how it feels. Hell, if I didn't know about the chaingun tapping trick I probably would never even use it for anything other than zombie type enemies.

Honestly I only use the chaingun for sniping and saving other ammo types.  The chaingun itself is pretty weak compared to the plasma rifle and attacks slower too.  The chaingun is really only good vs low tiered enemies where as the plasma rifle is all around a good weapon.

On a side note I always increase the chaingun and plasma rifle damage in my wads because both guns are honestly weak compared to other weapons.  The chaingun does very little damage and isnt good vs anything with more health than a pinky unless there is only 1 monster.  The plasmagun on the other hand is pretty weak compared to the rocket launcher and bfg9000.  The power increase from the chaingun to the rocket launcher is pretty extreme, where as the power increase from rockets to plasma is a decent sized nerf.  Now if the plasmarifle used different ammo from the bfg then the plasmarifle would still be a better gun compared to the chaingun.

Chaingun is better for cutting through snowflakes (former humans) quickly. And it also puts the otherwise useless pistol ammo to good use.

The Plasma Gun is better for cutting through the head honchos at a decent speed. And if there are a lot of snowflakes (like in MAP09: TNT), you can slice through them faster than wind on a fart.

Chaingun
Pros
- First shot is always accurate.
- Bullets instantly hit targets because it's a hitscan weapon.
- Bullets fit through gaps easily.
- Relatively good firing speed
- Useful against most monsters, given the player's patience allows it.

Cons
- Damage is not that good.
- Shots quickly get spread out.
- Mainly useful for low to mid tier enemies

Plasmagun
Pros
- Projectiles never spread out.
- Good damage per hit.
- Good firing speed.
- Useful against most enemies in an effective way.

Cons
- Projectile based weapon, hence doesn't hit target instantly.
- Projectiles don't fit through gaps easily.
- Can eat up ammo.
- Has an ear raping firing sound.

As you can see, they're both useful in different situations. A chaingun can be used to clean out a room full of zombies easily while a plasmagun can be used to clear out a room full of, say, cacodemons.

Basically what Voros said, I would add that killing chaingunners with the chaingun gives an indescribable sensation. Just watching them being paralyzed with the weapon they formerly own is asdfasdfasdfasdf

Chaingun is better for corner sniping imo Because of it's hitscan qualities, also with smaller hitscan enemies will be stun locked faster so you don't take any damage. Unless your ammo is infinite, For the low tier enemies in doom there is a chance the Plasma rifle will will gib a trooper in one shot, or take up to 3-4 cells to kill him. Its randomness on damage makes it far more valuable to use on higher end Demons since you'll be likely wasting less ammo as The PRs damage will be more consistant on larger health enemies.

7 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

I love the plasma gun but the firing sfx sounds like someone farting into a fan.

doom_txt are you seeing this?

At close range, plasma kills faster.  Assuming equal ammo availability (or unlimited for both), plasma is the superior choice (though there is the argument about it obstructing view).  The farther out the target is, the more inclined I am to use chaingun on the weaker monsters because of projectiles taking more time to reach the target.  Chaingun can sometimes hurt things in situations plasma can't, such as the already-mentioned small gaps, or height differences where plasma would impact a wall before reaching a monster.  I also prefer chaingun on all zombie types; using plasma gives them more of a chance to get a shot off before the plasma hits them.