Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

A question about color palettes and standalone iwads

Question

So a standalone iwad needs it's own color palate right? But I am a bit confused. I have used gimp to create png's that as far as I can tell appear as sprites with all the correct colors in the normal Doom game (running with zdoom that is) even if I don't pay any attention to what colors are used in the standard doom game. If I create a standalone iwad with it's own color palate how do I use said color palate in gimp (the program I use to create sprites and textures). And why do PNG images seem to work in Doom even if just use whatever colors I want when creating them if the doom engine can only use the colors in it's own palate?

11 answers to this question

Let's learn English! It's fun!

- Palate is the "ceiling" of your mouth.

- Pallet is a flat support usually made of wood or hard plastic, meant to allow easy transport with a forklift.

- Palette is a small board where painters put the paints they will work with, by extension it's any set of things that are available for a purpose, and notably the color palettes we're talking about.

- Pallette is an armpit-protection plate on a medieval suit of armor.

If you use png format, then you don't need to worry about pallettes. Pallettes are used for Doom's formats.

PNG support is for advanced source ports like ZDoom, vanilla Doom and many ports don't support it.

The PLAYPAL is just a list of colors. It's questionable if such a thing is even copyrightable.

Just use Freedoom's pallete. It's automatically generated via Python script.

Why do you want create iwad in the first place?

Anyway, as person said you can use png picture format in zdoom/gzdoom in hexen/udmf and in boom(glboom+ port) format, but I don't remember what marker you need use for it.

^ If by "marker" you mean stuff like that sprites need to be between S_START and S_END lumps etc., you'd just put any graphics in png format between the same markers where you'd put them if they were in Doom format. It depends on their purpose in the game (sprite, patch, flat, menu or HUD graphic, ...), not on their file format.

The PNG graphics may not need a color palette to display properly but whatever file you are loading needs one to load as an IWAD.

Thanks this clears things up a lot. So does this mean I can create some kind of dummy palette for the sake of the iwad and then just use PNG images (which I like more anyway)?

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Copy over Doom's stuff.

You mean copying the palette from the doom2.iwad over to mine? But isn't the stuff from the doom2.iwad copyrighted?

17 hours ago, Linguica said:

The PLAYPAL is just a list of colors. It's questionable if such a thing is even copyrightable.

Maybe not today...

I bet in the future nobody will be able to own anything, just rent it. Companies will make furniture that self-destruct on a timer once they "expire" or some shit.

EDIT: Ops, double post.

Edited by hardcore_gamer