Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Chaingun vs plasma?

11 hours ago, Pirx said:

See.  Reasons have been stated. I just wish the chaingun was more powerful and had a better sound.

I'm gonna mention it. Brutal Doom.

Mid to strong monsters have a particular weakness and death animation based on the chaingun head shots. It sounds better than vanilla too.

Using a weak weapon on weak enemies in order to save up ammo for a powerful weapon to be later used on powerful enemies, is an essential balance principle in pretty much any game where you shoot enemies with weapons with limited ammo and you have more than 1 weapon to choose from, and in maps that place its ammo / weapons / enemies in a well balanced way, both the weak and the powerful weapon will be very important and useful for the player.

The fact that chaingun bullets travel at infinite speed is also a huge advantage in many common scenarios.

More like Doom 64, as it doesn't feel slow as molasses anymore (which was made even worse in PSX Doom, IIRC).

Chaingun. Not only because of calm sound, it doesn't waste too much ammo in spite of dealing low damage. Also, it's a bit easy to focus when I hit enemies at a long range.

But when it comes to playing with mods, Plasma Gun all the way!

if I have max ammo on both weapons,

I prefer the plasma gun. But god, the noise it makes drives me crazy after a while. It's a tough desicion

The Chaingun and plasma are designed for the same thing - Interupting Enemy attacks. (Among other things) However, The Chaingun doesnt fire fast enough to interupt some enemies, such as Barons, Mancubus, Arachnotron or arch vile. The Plasma Rifle can interupt all those.

Chaingun can stunlock a manc about as well as a pr can stunlock and archvile, Minus the part if the stun fails against the AV you've more to lose.

2 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

Chaingun can stunlock a manc about as well as a pr can stunlock and archvile, Minus the part if the stun fails against the AV you've more to lose.

"You can't run, but you can hide." -- Arch-vile.

Depending on the wad, I usually get more mileage out of the chaingun.

Chaingun ammo is usually more plentiful than energy cells.

Best weapon for sniping.

Incapacitates hitscanners quickly, projectiles leaves them an opportunity to fire before they get hit.

SFX is nowhere near as harsh as the plasma rifle.

Helps save energy ammo for when it's really needed.

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

"You can't run, but you can hide." -- Arch-vile.

only if the mapper allows it, or if decent cover is within distance to get to before Getting blown up. Otherwise running from an archville would be a riskier option.

@MrGlide, it was just a little joke on the common expression "You can run, but you can't hide." It's the other way around for arch-viles, since you need to break LoS, but no amount of distance will prevent their attack from hitting you.

4 hours ago, DoomGuy II said:

if I have max ammo on both weapons,

I prefer the plasma gun. But god, the noise it makes drives me crazy after a while. It's a tough desicion

I've gone on record in saying that the only criticism I have for the original release of Doom is that the sound the plasma gun makes is very irritating. Fortunately, there's a ton of replacement sound effects out there for it. 

I'm surprised that there are so many people that dislike the Plasma Gun sound. It's very noisy, but I've never considered it annoying. At least it doesn't sound like a water gun like in Doom '16.

8 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I'm surprised that there are so many people that dislike the Plasma Gun sound. It's very noisy, but I've never considered it annoying. At least it doesn't sound like a water gun like in Doom '16.

I think it's perfectly fine if I hear the sound from an Arachnotron. The abrasive, distorted, and almost unnatural sounding effect gels well with the hideous spider monstrosities. I just personally don't care for it when it's coming out of my own plasma gun.

If the retarded recoil wasn't present with the plasma gun, I'd choose that.  But it is.  So chaingun it is.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

I think it's perfectly fine if I hear the sound from an Arachnotron. The abrasive, distorted, and almost unnatural sounding effect gels well with the hideous spider monstrosities. I just personally don't care for it when it's coming out of my own plasma gun.

Well, the arachnotron's plasma blast sound is somewhat similar to the sound effect of your plasma gun  but it is not fired at a very high rate.

I hate the sound effects for both, but I use both guns in different situations. Chaingun for pinning guys down or sniping; plasma for getting out of ambushes. Pretty much any time I'm about to go into a teleporter or grab a key, I switch to plasma if I have it -- it's essentially my paddle for going up "shit creek".

6 hours ago, Tracer said:

If the retarded recoil wasn't present with the plasma gun, I'd choose that.  But it is.  So chaingun it is.

Recoil? Do you mean that frame of animation where you lift the gun after you stop shooting? I've always found that kinda weird too personally. Not sure what it's supposed to be representing. Maybe it's a way to let the gun cool off for a few seconds? You know, because firing hot plasma heats up the barrel? I dunno. It's one of those quirky things about Doom I've never fully understood.

Oddly enough, that "cool down" is absent on the Game Boy Advance edition. Then again, lots of things are absent from the GBA version.

26 minutes ago, RUSH said:

Recoil? Do you mean that frame of animation where you lift the gun after you stop shooting? I've always found that kinda weird too personally. Not sure what it's supposed to be representing. Maybe it's a way to let the gun cool off for a few seconds? You know, because firing hot plasma heats up the barrel? I dunno. It's one of those quirky things about Doom I've never fully understood.

Oddly enough, that "cool down" is absent on the Game Boy Advance edition. Then again, lots of things are absent from the GBA version.

Yeah, that cooldown animation is like the hyperblaster of Quake 2 for some reason. Quite similar in use if you ask me...

5 hours ago, RUSH said:

Maybe it's a way to let the gun cool off for a few seconds? You know, because firing hot plasma heats up the barrel? I dunno. It's one of those quirky things about Doom I've never fully understood.

Well, I thought no one else will talk about this, nice to know that GBA version lacks this though. Technically speaking, you can continuously fire many cells without lifting (if there are only the ground, Doomguy can even pick them up while firing) if don't lift your finger, so this shouldn't be overheat thing. Probably I'm too serious... but anyway, this is a bit of annoying because that several frames may get you killed, so usually you should be a little overkill when using Plasma Rifle.

17 hours ago, KVELLER said:

It is just horrendous to me, made worse when fired in volleys (which is how actually you are supposed to use the gun in question). PSX Doom's version of it is much better. Even if I have no idea if that is more realistic, PSX's Doom PG oozes power - it sounds like a harbringer of hot death coming at your foes. (rumor has it that this particular sound comes from the firing sound made by the plasma guns of Terminator films).

7 hours ago, RUSH said:

7 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Yeah, that cooldown animation is like the hyperblaster of Quake 2 for some reason. Quite similar in use if you ask me...

I suppose this animation represents cooling down the barrel. Maybe it is not technically mandatory, but the protagonist has it like a reflex thing that he retained during training - and seeing that he wields a weapon that fires blobs of gas that would effortlessly melt rock, I would damn ensure as well that the gun would not overheat in my hands.

Mechanically, the animation gives PG an unique quirk that makes it unwieldy for firing in short volleys, unlike CG. Thus, when you fire PG, you are impelled to fire it as long as to make sure that everything in sight is dead.

Edited by shotfan

Am I the only one who thinks the chaingun sounds worse than the plasma when it comes to the sound? The plasma, while loud, is something. The chaingun on the other hand is the definition of a monotonous drone. At least the plasma clears the room rather quickly so you don't have to listen to it that long. The chaingun is a great weapon, but I often find myself not using it that often because it sounds terrible. I wish it used the shotgun sound for the players chaingun as well!

Edited by RightField

Actually I believe chaingun fires the bullets on a slower velocity that Wolf3D and this is what makes it a little annoying.

But chaingun can be used on weaker enemies (like zombies and lost soul)

SSG didn't have much weapon balance to break, The RL is way more overpowered and all the SSG does is letting you have even more spare rockets for the time you need them (which is never in the iwads aside from a few pistol start maps).

How many shotgun shells do you get compared  to rockets though typically? If there was a SSG in E4M1 How radically do you think it would change the map?

4 hours ago, The Doommer said:

Actually I believe chaingun fires the bullets on a slower velocity that Wolf3D and this is what makes it a little annoying.

But chaingun can be used on weaker enemies (like zombies and lost soul)

Yeah the chaingun in Wolf is like a hitscan plasma rifle in terms of both speed and power.

One more thing for the plasma gun. I hate the original firing sound, at least got fixed in the PSX version...

On 22.6.2017 at 7:31 PM, KVELLER said:

The replacement from sunlust (iirc) is perfect imo. Still sounds like a powerful gun but without being annoyingly noisy.