Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Please remove "Grendel's Revenge"

There is a music track called "Grendel's Revenge". I made it, but it sucks very, very much and I am not proud of it. I'd prefer to bury it, while I'm still rusty, I feel that I write better material now than 5+ years ago (which is how old the module it was converted from is).

Map12. We could always have a look at the two tracks you made in the past: http://www.geocities.ws/c/a/catodemos/freedoom/BobFromReboot/

Thank you Voros. I don't think it's a bad song but perhaps one of the tracks I made would fit better. I'll be uploading new versions of them very soon(ish), in addition to some other tracks I've been slowly working on.

FWIW, Sewers actually got remixed by someone else and I rather like it. I still want to see the song expanded to include the other parts of my module, and perhaps some instrument tweaks.

As a bit of trivia, Grendel's Revenge was originally written as the background music to some weird multi-media presentation we had to do on Beowulf in English class when I was still in high school. Needless to say, I didn't take the assignment very seriously. :P

The rewritten version of Sewers is used in c1m7 and the rewritten version of Grendel's Revenge is used for map12.

And didn't bytebeats specifically say why some instruments like the electric grand piano aren't used, in response to your question back then? I'm sure he had his reasons, and his music is good too.

IMO that new Doom1 would sound nice in FreeDM. Doom2 on the other hand, seems more appropriate for map12 of Phase 2, although the midi is a bit short.

No problem, I'd be happy knowing it gets used at all.

Yes Doom2, that one was unfinished, I will have a go at finishing it next.

Edit: Nevermind, it turns out that I did finish writing it! It's a bit over 2 minutes. I don't really like parts of the melody but you might so here it is. Let me know if you would like me to change anything, or if any section sounds off to you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1dd24mwz3tsus7/Doom2.mid?dl=0

Edited by BobFromReboot : added da midi

How about adding proper looping? The beginning is soft while the ending is a bit hard.

Actually scratch what I said. In game it sounds fine. But, can you do something about the melody after the 69th measure? It too long. Try shortening it.

And I'm probably the only here who thinks this, but I think the brass section would be better than the trumpet and overdriven guitar rather than distortion guitar :P

Edited by Voros

I've always loved brass section for some reason :P anyway, it sounds alright, just have to test it in game later on, just to be sure.

The main question here is whether it's good enough for map12?
Note: the current map12 will most likely be ditched.

Edited by Voros