Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

Quake 3 Games, Mods, Maps and More

I loaded up some old games using the old Quake 3 engine this week. I played a bit of Quake 3: Arena, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force and Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast. I know that there are some really good mods, maps and more for these classic games. I just don't know what ones are really good.

I like Quake 3 for its crisp clean graphics but the weapons seem a bit dated. I would love to know if there are any good weapon replacement mods out there and if there are any single player story maps made for it.

I like STV Elite Force for its fast holomatch action but the graphics and weapons are very outdated today. The original graphics in the game look blurry and dull in comparison to the ones in Quake 3. When putting in a converted map designed for Q3 into Elite Force the graphics don't look as good as they did in Quake 3. Any mods that make Elite Force look better are greatly appreciated.

I like SWJN Jedi Outcast for the great fun shooting at all the classic star wars characters. The puzzle sequences are rather nice too. The graphics look a little crisper than the ones in Elite force but the star wars themed weapons (excluding the light-saber and explosives) are not my cup of tea. I like the ability to switch between the first and third person perspective. This game would be great if I could find some really good mods for it.

Here are some of my favorite Q3 maps that I have found so far:

1. Mystic Gemini By Sock
  2. Last Trip By Rota
  3. Karin By Rota
  4. Fistful of Steel By Killer
  5. Vorsprung Durch Vernichtung by Killer
  6. The Edge of Forever By Sock
  7. Derwyll's Castle 2 By Noruen
  8. Overgrowth By Despair
  9. Kritische Masse By -cha0s-
  10. Story to Tell By NecrosiS
  11. Junk Data By Bal

Here are some oddball maps for Q3 that I still have:

1. Peaceful Holidays in Egypt By Bal
  2. Malfunctioning Nano-Constructor By Bal

What are your favorite Quake 3 engine games, mods, maps and more?

Edited by Halfblind

I personally love the Jedi Knight games made with the engine (Outcast and Jedi Academy). The only site i know of that has mods for thouse is jkhub.org, althought it has more stuff for JKA than JKO

There's also some not very famous games made with the engine like Open Arena and the likes that can be very fun.

On 6/18/2017 at 2:26 PM, ranhcase said:

I personally love the Jedi Knight games made with the engine (Outcast and Jedi Academy). The only site i know of that has mods for thouse is jkhub.org, althought it has more stuff for JKA than JKO

There's also some not very famous games made with the engine like Open Arena and the likes that can be very fun.

After trying the demo for JKA - I did not like it that much. I found out that you could not play as Kyle, which made me sad, and the whole RPG level up system really annoyed me because I don't play much RPG's.

I do like these skins for JKA though but unfortunately they do not work well in JKO.

1. https://jkhub.org/files/file/2497-athena-personal-skin/
  2. https://jkhub.org/files/file/2906-tavion-true-makeover/
  3. https://jkhub.org/files/file/2898-tavion-extreme-makeover/

I never cared for Open Arena. It felt like a bad knock off of the original Quake 3 and it just wasn't the same.

I did however really like American McGee's Alice. I thought that game was fun and very enjoyable to play.

I love the quake 3 engine games as well except for SOF 2 such a step down from the first. I really liked Medal of Honor Allied alliance,Star trek elite force and 2,Alice,the Star Wars games and I really enjoyed Heavy Metal fakk 2. There are also 2 James Bond games on the console that uses the quake 3 engine,Agent under fire and Everything or nothing. 

I was always a big fan of the Quake 3 engine. It just felt so neat and tidy to map with. Everything just worked properly on it. I tried mapping in the Doom 3 engine later but that lacked the robust feeling of the Quake 3 engine.

Anyone played with more modern engines like Unity? How do they compare?

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

I was always a big fan of the Quake 3 engine. It just felt so neat and tidy to map with. Everything just worked properly on it. I tried mapping in the Doom 3 engine later but that lacked the robust feeling of the Quake 3 engine.

Anyone played with more modern engines like Unity? How do they compare?

I don't like most modern engines today. Unity is fine i guess.