Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JPL

Keymaster, and other small mods

Hi folks. I've mostly been active on the ZDoom forums but figured Doomworlders might be interested in this. I set up a page on my site for all the Doom stuff I've made:

http://vectorpoem.com/doom

Probably the most interesting mod I've posted on there recently is Keymaster, a ZScript-powered mod that adds a wrinkle to any existing level: you have to hunt down a specific random monster before you can exit the level, and you have to find a specific random item before you can kill that monster. Here's a stream recording of me playing through eps 1-3 with it.

Feedback on that or any of the other stuff I've posted there is welcome.

This is a very pipe dream request but I think it would be cool if you added a feature to wadsmoosh pwads with iwads as additional episodes.

On 6/24/2017 at 11:03 AM, BobFromReboot said:

This is a very pipe dream request but I think it would be cool if you added a feature to wadsmoosh pwads with iwads as additional episodes.

I understand this is something people might want to do. I haven't implemented it in WadSmoosh because it increases the program's scope and complexity to the point where it would need a UI of some sort, which makes it a whole different beast to support and maintain.

It kinda seems like there might be a WAD tool niche somewhere between WadSmoosh (no GUI, does one thing) and SLADE3 (industrial strength GUI, does hundreds of things), a sort of "mix tape" tool where you can shuffle maps and assets between WADs, build new episodes, etc. I imagine the GUI could be quite simple but the stuff it'd be doing under the hood would be non-trivial, especially once you start having to merge different possibly-conflicting texture definitions. Not something one could bang out in a weekend.

So I feel it's sanest to say WadSmoosh's mission begins and ends with manipulating the official retail data. The source is included so you can always customize if you really want to. But yeah until someone creates that tool I describe above, this will require intricate knowledge of how the WADs you want to merge are put together.

Keymaster is an interesting idea and a good excuse to replay old maps! Have you noticed any maps where it breaks the sequence? I mean, it makes the map impossible to finish?

I mean, what about the map where you have to kill all Mancubi to open up the rest of the map?

On 6/30/2017 at 6:30 PM, VGA said:

Keymaster is an interesting idea and a good excuse to replay old maps! Have you noticed any maps where it breaks the sequence? I mean, it makes the map impossible to finish?

I mean, what about the map where you have to kill all Mancubi to open up the rest of the map?

It's definitely possible, if semi-rare - the Arrow must be placed beyond a barrier that only opens when all of one type of monster dies, and the keymaster must be one of those monsters - and there's no way I can think of to detect and avoid such situations without writing code that somehow fully understands the progression structure of a map, which would depend on some very very advanced map data parsing... nobody's cracked that yet. If that were possible there's all kinds of cool mods that would be possible!

As is I just kinda have to offer that "may not work with 100% of maps" disclaimer. With pseudorandom spawns enabled, this doesn't occur on skill 1/2/3 in Doom2 MAP07, but I'd guess there are other popular maps where it does happen. If anyone finds a specific example let me know so I can mention it in the readme as an example.