Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

Duke nukem VS Doom

Duke nukem 3D VS Doom  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Duke Nukem 3D VS Doom Which one is the greatest?

• DOOM
    • Duke Nukem 3D

I really like Duke Nukem, but I don't "love him" like a lot of people do, both the character and the game. The game is genuinely fun and challenging, and I love the more realistic environments, but I have more fun playing through vanilla Doom than vanilla Duke 3D. I haven't really given it that much thought, so I don't know why that is. As for Duke himself, he's hilarious and cool, but kind of a one trick pony. 90% if not more of his lines are just quotes lifted from somewhere else, which makes him kind of flat as a character. That may sound silly since Duke Nukem 3D is the kind of game where you're not supposed to care about character depth and all that jazz, but I find that even Doom guy, who's supposed to be a blank slate for the player, has more character than Duke. Same thing applies for Lo-wang, his only gimmick was having a "funny" accent and talking like a stereotypical non-english speaking asian. I'm actually glad they gave him more character in the remake.

[/unpopular opinion]

14 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

Quake

I seriously can't decide between Doom or Quake 1 for my favorite FPS game after all these years.

6 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

but I find that even Doom guy, who's supposed to be a blank slate for the player, has more character than Duke.

I don't think you looked very hard! Duke has character up the wazoo. He's not a pony, and he doesn't need any tricks! It's like somebody showed you a Rembrandt and you go hmmm, no, nothing there. Next you'll tell me Bill & Ted are one trick ponies with no character!

(Doomguy is great too though)

I legit want to see Duke retconned as being a really macho homosexual. It would mean pretending Duke Nukem Forever didn't happen (OH NO WHAT A SHAME AMIRITE) but I feel like the statement made (preconceptions, masculinity, stereotypes) could add value.

OH WAIT THIS ISN'T THE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS THREAD HOW DO I COMPUTER

8 minutes ago, PsychoGoatee said:

I don't think you looked very hard! Duke has character up the wazoo. He's not a pony, and he doesn't need any tricks! It's like somebody showed you a Rembrandt and you go hmmm, no, nothing there. Next you'll tell me Bill & Ted are one trick ponies with no character!

Admittedly, I've only played Duke 3D, so I may be making premature assumptions. I may also be a little biased since Doom and Quake incorporate a lot more horror elements, whereas Duke borrows more from action and science fiction :p

8 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Admittedly, I've only played Duke 3D, so I may be making premature assumptions. I may also be a little biased since Doom and Quake incorporate a lot more horror elements, whereas Duke borrows more from action and science fiction :p

Fair enough, but because I already looked for it here's an example of Duke's character from Duke 3D. B)

gNUaos5.jpg

It's narrated like a pulp novel, Duke there has as much character as a protagonist of a book, oddly enough. We actually know more about what Duke wants in life for example than we do of Philip Marlowe in The Big Sleep (a great novel). Oozing with personality.

15 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

I legit want to see Duke retconned as being a really macho homosexual. It would mean pretending Duke Nukem Forever didn't happen (OH NO WHAT A SHAME AMIRITE) but I feel like the statement made (preconceptions, masculinity, stereotypes) could add value.

OH WAIT THIS ISN'T THE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS THREAD HOW DO I COMPUTER

There's a cool comic character from England (had a crossover with Judge Dredd) called Devlin Waugh that would fit the bill. Macho but classy homosexual sci-fi asskicker. May or may not also become a vampire.

gh9MM3i.jpg?1

^ I like that video just because it's positive and doesn't hate on anything! But it's a bit loosey with the continuity, we could make a case that Doomguy and Duke are actually the same person by the way. Just under different circumstances, raised differently, different enviroments, and in one timeline aliens happen to attack instead of demons. And instead of being shaped by futuristic marine discipline he was able to have more R&R between saving the world and develop hobbies, vices and business ventures etc.

Doomguy had sunglasses in Mordeth, that's halfway there.

Guys, guys. Doomguy has loads of character. The Doom comic proves it.

I decided to stay neutral.
DN3D is one of the charms that made my childhood memorable, and everything it could provide just left me stunned and amazed. Basically I didn't even care that there are a tad of adult content, because why not.
BUT.
The main principle of how I become attached to something - like, in this case, Doom - is that how I can spread my wings and customise it. DN3D had Build - the worst bitch of all editor engines ever, mainly because of the only chance of saving-and-quitting (rather than they could be done separately) combined with a high chance of you make a wrong choice and everything is eaten. To make matters worse, there wasn't even an "undo" command. So it gave it away for me on an eventual degree and I went on with DBuilder and Doom.

Feel free to hiss, groan and curse at me how I am not the eleventymillionth spreading word of how utterly a best classic game of all time Doom is (of corse I agree with that, though, only not on a mad fanboy level), I won't care.

Doom was my first. I love the weapons, the levels and the soundtrack.

i never played duke nukem, infact i only found out about it when i heard about the Doomguy easter egg. 

I'll bet anybody here that's beaten Doom1/2 on UV or Nightmare! would have a easy time beating D3D on "Damn, I'm Good" have you were given proper ammo supply

17 minutes ago, Barons O' Fun said:

I'll bet anybody here that's beaten Doom1/2 on UV or Nightmare! would have a easy time beating D3D on "Damn, I'm Good" have you were given proper ammo supply

I bet there would still be a heated debate about whether the Battlelord or Mother Spidy is the tougher hitscan boss.

They're both well done games but the tone is very different between the two. I'd compare it to the difference between Terminator 1 and Terminator 2. Doom is atmospheric and moody while Duke3D is far more light-hearted. Doom is far more abstract in level designs while Duke3D builds realistic locations: cinemas, burger joints, bars and you know the rest.

I feel like there's an element of experimentality to both games. PC hardware had crossed the threshold where a fully-formed FPS was possible. There's a sense that the designers are slightly in awe of the fact that they can build these virtual worlds people are going to be able to run around in, but it drives them to make different things.

I'll always be more of a Terminator 1 and Alien 1 sort of guy. Abstract horror over cheesy cliche action, any day of the week.

That means Doom. Never liked Duke... meh.

actually, if we're comparing "just" Doom 1 and Duke 3D against each other, then Duke 3D is easily a comparable game and arguably better, because the monster variety in Doom 1 is still really low, and Duke 3D's meager enemy count doesn't feel off in comparison. not to mention Duke 3D has more guns, and the level-design is definitely way better, as well as the textures and music IMO.

compared to Classic Doom as a whole though, yeah, Duke 3D falls by a bit. now the enemy variety seems malnourished in comparison, and the gunplay doesn't get as fun due to how much ammo even lowly Pigcops can take before falling. it really feels like Duke 3D was designed with using explosive and special weapons a lot, which gives it an archaic "arcade" design in its loadout, whereas Doom's loadout all felt like it had a purpose.

and while the level-design is better, it probably set a high bar on what to expect from custom maps, whereas Doom's already having a couple of now-classic Megawads, like Memento Mori and Icarus, which have a bit more replay value then the base levels. that and it's easier to just make Doom levels (though maybe not as much back then), though the level-design definitely left a legacy, because a lot of Doom maps have been doing similar levels now. and the textures are better and more realistic than Doom, but that just confines what you can use them with, whereas a lot of Doom textures can have multi-purpose usages due to the abstract nature of the game.

and the music and sound... well, i actually prefer Duke 3D's soundtrack as a whole, but a lot of people might think Doom's music is just better and more recognizable. but the sound-quality is somehow even worse than Doom's low sample-rate. that always annoyed me, because i feel it could've been just a bit higher, and it definitely gives the feeling that Duke 3D has aged more than Doom. plus, i don't think many of the sounds are that good anyway. why does the RPG sound so tinny, both when it fires, and when the rocket explodes? it's more useful than Doom's rocket launcher, but it doesn't feel as satisfying!

20 hours ago, roadworx said:

isn't it kinda obvious that most people are gonna say doom? i mean, come on, this is DOOMworld, not DUKEworld :p

Besides ,  Doom formed FPS and resulted in creation of the games like Duke Nukem 3D.

2 hours ago, Barons O' Fun said:

Hmm, Barons O' Fun and ImpMan11203 have the exact same IP address. What are the odds, huh?

Redneck Rampage had its share of incredibly vulgar humor, but, c'mon!  How can you not smile hearing in a thick hillbilly accent things like, "I'm so hungry I could eat the ass-end of a menstrual skunk!" :D

At the end of the day, though, I voted for Doom in the poll.  I mean, it's simply the best PC game concept (and the execution of that concept) in the history of gaming!

I like Doom best. The build games I have played all share the same problem; you die a lot to one-shot, insta-kill attacks which become a bit tedious after a while. Duke 3d is not so offensive in this respect as my two other fav's, Blood and Shadow Warrior (they are all great games though). Also, I've never found user-made mapsets for the build games of such high quality as the Doom games offer, and user levels are the biggest reason I'm still playing. For the Build games, it's mainly the variety of weapons, items and excellent stock-levels that makes me keep coming back.

1 hour ago, Barons O' Fun said:

I own a VPN

You own a whole VPN service? Quite an entrepreneur.

4 hours ago, Barons O' Fun said:

I own a VPN

That's not how VPNs work. You can't just have any WAN address, and seeing as you didn't say before you were using a VPN (instead a schoolyard lie about residential wifi on a single WAN), you can't use the VPN excuse without an impossible contradiction. Plus 3 unrelated people all registering to the same forum at the same time on the same paid VPN is outright improbable.

You seem to be in the habit of lying to everyone around you. It might work with your class mates, but you can't fool a forum of adults who grew up/through the 90's where understanding how networking and the internet worked was essential to actually use it, on top of the various professions we may have.

Edited by Edward850

6 hours ago, Linguica said:

mm, Barons O' Fun and ImpMan11203 have the exact same IP address. What are the odds, huh?

Shit's about to go down again!

Don't have to choose between Doom or Duke 3D if you make two accounts so you can vote for both.

reece.jpg

Doom is better in my opinion. The game simply feels more stable, I've encountered far more bugs when playing Duke 3D despite spending much less time with it. I just generally prefer Doom all around, but I still think Duke 3D is an awesome game with a unique identity. I enjoy it every time I play it.

This particular debate has always reminded me of the Mario vs Sonic thing, although Duke vs Doom discussions rarely ever got heated the same way at school. There's a lot of parallels - the one that comes later trying to "one up" the older game in loads of mostly-inconsequential ways, the one that comes later featuring a hip n cool lead character to help sales, etc etc. At least Duke actually is cool, unlike Sonic who just kinda irritated me with the constant barrage of ads that were really little more than Mario smear campaigns. When one company has to attack another consistently in their advertising, my gut reaction is to assume sub-par quality. Other than the little Doomguy Easter egg, there was basically 0 of that in the Duke/Doom heyday. [/totally random ramble]

On 6/24/2017 at 7:40 PM, Voros said:

This is a pretty unfair poll. It's like comparing apples and oranges. 

I prefer oranges over apples...especially when they're frozen.

Also, I pick Doom due to the personality of your character being undefined.  But I still enjoy Duke as well...just not nearly as much.  I do prefer the weapon and pickup sounds of Duke more though.

I have only just recently got back into playing DN3D but with custom maps this time since I never bothered with them before, I have found quite a few gems and also a few crappy ones with bad balance, the city themed ones are quite enjoyable.

On 25.6.2017 at 3:40 AM, Voros said:

I only played the first episode on DN3D on an Android, which was surprisingly easy to control. On PC, the mouselook felt horrendous. Same goes for Blood. But it was fun.

For some reason Build games were coded to handle mouse input only on one axis at a time which makes mouselook bad. There's an external mouse driver for them that fixes this called bMouse available here: http://swisscm.duke4.net/mine.html

I couldn't play Blood for long without it.