Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slowtorturepukechamber

Old map editors like Edmap?

Yes. You do exactly what you just said: use DosBox.

An example:
1. Create a folder called "edmap" under the c: drive.
2. Extract edmap into said folder.
3. Open Dosbox and type in

mount e c:\edmap
e:

4. Write in the name of the executable to run.

Strictly out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? Are you actually intending to make maps with it or just doing some nostalgic peeking around?

Oh god I have to try this. Can DOSbox also artificially boost the memory available, and can EdMap take advantage of this? Back in the 90's I would hit the max map limit due to my 640k running out.

Pretty sure I'd immediately miss 3D mode etc but things like Edmap having a calculator on the numpad was fucking awesome.

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Are you actually intending to make maps with it or just doing some nostalgic peeking around?

Both really, it would be cool just to peek around and see how the technology has advanced over the years but I do plan on making at least a map or two with it.

10 hours ago, ukiro said:

Can DOSbox also artificially boost the memory available, and can EdMap take advantage of this?

Yes and no. It can raise the limit, but if the program isn't designed to use extended memory there's not much you can do.

Edmap doesn't clean up your WIP properly during saving, which means you have even less memory space available for development. Plus it is very prone to crashing and mangling your level after the first nodesbuild. This is why I used a copy of a WIP for nodesbuilding and testing, leaving a "pristine" unbuild WIP for further development.  A routine I still do to this very day, despite using far better level editors.