Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

The SNES Classic

Nintendo has revealed details for the SNES Classic. The standalone mini console will feature 21 games, including Super Mario World, Earthbound, Super Mario Kart, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. But the most surprising inclusion is Star Fox 2, the unreleased sequel to the original Star Fox for SNES.

The Super NES Classic Edition will launch on September 29th for $79.99. Like its predecessor the NES Classic, it will allow players to easily play retro games on high-definition televisions, thanks to an HDMI connection.

The full list of games included on the SNES Classic follows:

Contra III: The Alien Wars

Donkey Kong Country

EarthBound

Final Fantasy III

F-ZERO

Kirby Super Star

Kirby’s Dream Course

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Mega Man X

Secret of Mana

Star Fox

Star Fox 2

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting

Super Castlevania IV

Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

Super Punch-Out!!

Yoshi’s Island

The Super NES Classic is Nintendo’s follow-up to the NES Classic, which launched in fall 2016. The console was notoriously difficult to find due to limited stock, and was discontinued earlier this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/15874154/nintendo-snes-classic-edition-release-date-price-announced

If it's going to be a repeat of how the NES Classic handled; then it would just cause people to hate Nintendo more.

ill probably buy it just to have another excuse to replay Earthbound tbh. also its surprising that Chrono Trigger isnt included.

I wonder if it's going to be the same hardware as the NES classic, and how long it will take to be hacked. I wonder if NES classic homebrew and emulators will be playable on the SNES classic. The additional 4 buttons will certainly help things out if you don't have access to a wii classic controller.

Wow , they put Contra III , one of my favourite SNES games. However , I will not buy it , emulators are enough for me to play classic games.

This, like the NES classic could sell tens of millions of units if Nintendo didn't hate their fanbase and money so much.

I've always wanted to play the finished version of Star Fox 2. It has been said that the two prototypes floating around are not even close to what the finished game is like. Hopefully, people will be able to rip the ROM.

Hmm, I dunnoooo. I feel like with the file size of older games that they could've included a lot more titles than just 21. I get that there's people out there who would want to easily have an HDMI hookup for their high def screens, and a lot of people do prefer actual hardware over an emulator. But I personally still feel like I could just use an emulator. I get that it has to be 80 dollars due to hardware and the fact that they have to make enough money back, but...that's a steep price for me. Perhaps if they put like, I dunno, 80 games. 80 games for 80 dollars wouldn't be too bad, but again I know that they're taking other factors into consideration when it comes to the pricing. It's not for me, and I'm not sure the inclusion of one unreleased game will be enough to really sell the product. 

They're so desperate they will resort to including games (StarFox 2) that were cancelled during the life-cycle of the actual console?

2 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

Nintendo is running out of ideas. whats next, the gameboy classic?

And then Virtual Boy Classic.

Meanwhile, scalper assholes buy this and resell it for much higher pricing to take advantage of the unit's limited production run.

All great games and my cousin's SNES just died not too long ago.

The NES mini stayed in stock for quite some time around my area.

3 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

the gameboy classic?

That would tempt me you know, as long as the screen is backlit, heh.

--------

All this 'slamming' on Nintendo for being 'lazy', 'desperate' or releasing 'shovelware' or whatever other nonsense you wanna label it as seems inappropriate and thoughtless. Also bare in mind that the argument 'I could just emulate it' is usually said by the people who can't afford the product, which in turn shows that these same people will likely pirate the content over buying legitimate copies and ripping their own ROMs, because the games and the hardware to rip it with is too expensive and in fact is quite likely to be more expensive, depending on what games you pick. Also, 'legit' or not, Nintendo still consider game rips as illegal and even the tools used to get them.

I think Nintendo is being insanely smart with this 'classic' release cycle, actually.

They know that a large portion of their audience are people who are nostalgic for the games of 20+ years ago, and many of these people who used to play the NES & SNES are no longer kids, but in fact are potentially parents, so they'll usher in the new wave of Nintendo gamers by allowing their kids to be raised on the same games they were all those years ago.

Sorry, but the way I see it, Nintendo is a business, and they have to make money to succeed, so forgive them for cashing out on what is a profitable and logical product.

Also, everyone here knows Nintendo just LOVE anti-piracy and taking down ROMs etc of their licensed games. By re-releasing these classic games they become 'current releases' of sorts, as opposed to some grey-area abandonware or whatever you might want to call it - Nintendo are actively profiting from these games once again; making their piracy negation attempts seem much more fair game and understandable.

tl;dr - Nintendo is a business, and they will profit from this. If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that!

Slam dunk. What a game lineup. I have the NES Classic and am pleased with it, it's an easy way to play on the tv with the correct controller - plus there's no 50hz PAL shit that ruins some older console games in hindsight (back the the day no one knew any better!).

futurama.jpg

I'd probably try to get my hands on one early so I don't have to go on a full-on hunt just to find one. If i'm too late to get one i'm just going to buy some classic games on Steam, knowing my Dad was really into DOOM and Wolfenstein at my age.

Edited by Idiotinforntofadesk : Changed entire comment after realizing someone already made a comment on scalpers. Other edits are just correcting spelling.

2 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

They're so desperate they will resort to including games (StarFox 2) that were cancelled during the life-cycle of the actual console?

Star Fox 2 was finished, though.  No reason not to release it.
Pretty good lineup for a novelty really.  You'd get more out of a real SNES and a flash cart though.

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I think Nintendo is being insanely smart with this 'classic' release cycle, actually.

They know that a large portion of their audience are people who are nostalgic for the games of 20+ years ago, and many of these people who used to play the NES & SNES are no longer kids, but in fact are potentially parents, so they'll usher in the new wave of Nintendo gamers by allowing their kids to be raised on the same games they were all those years ago.

Sorry, but the way I see it, Nintendo is a business, and they have to make money to succeed, so forgive them for cashing out on what is a profitable and logical product.

Except Nintendo themselves said they were nowhere near prepared for the demand for the NES Classic. They thought it would just be a few hardcore, older, NES gamers that would want it. They didn't see it as something that kids would want, they didn't even see most of the people who grew up on the NES as wanting it. They had no idea what the market was for it. Nintendo was fucking stupid with the Classic release, because apparently there's plenty of people in the world who don't know about Nesticle.

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

When do we get a mini PC from IBM loaded with Doom, Duke, Wolfenstien... uh and "popular PC game," "popular PC game," "popular PC game," "popular PC game?" ... uh maybe Descent? I hear that's decent.

Edited by geo

Meh, I've never personally cared about a single Nintendo product. I liked some of the games on the consoles like Super Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man and Super Ghouls n Ghosts, but never enough for me to run out and buy their consoles.

9 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

If it's going to be a repeat of how the NES Classic handled; then it would just cause people to hate Nintendo more.

I think it was Jim Sterling who pointed out that Nintendo's whole marketing and business ethos are way out of step with the times. They really think of themselves as toymakers, and use toymaker business practices, but they're competing against consumer electronics companies. Nintendo is competing as if it were still 1985, but it isn't. That said, the Switch is the only current generation console that has anything to offer that a gaming PC doesn't. If I had nostalgia invested in their long-running first-party series I'd buy one, but I grew up with a 486 and no consoles, so the legacy of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, et al mean nothing to me. The new Zelda looks like a pretty badass open world game that reminds me of Morrowind and The Witcher 3, but it's not worth buying a new system just to play one game.

2 hours ago, geo said:

When do we get a mini PC from IBM loaded with Doom, Duke, Wolfenstien... uh and "popular PC game," "popular PC game," "popular PC game," "popular PC game?"

That completely defeats the purpose of a desktop computer, and IBM hated PC gaming and thought it made their machine less attractive to business customers. They could have developed EGA in 1981 and VGA by 1985, but they specifically chose not to and pushed MDA because they wanted to sell a 16-bit version of a CP/M machine to enterprise customers. Competing with the Atari ST and Commodore 64 and later the Amiga, Apple IIgs, etc. was absolutely not a priority to them. And besides, which PC would you make a mini-me of? The 5150 was good for text adventures and that was about it. The PS/2 had VGA but it was incompatible with ISA cards that were necessary for PC gaming. Nobody even remembers any of the others.

Really, the PC's whole success rests on being an open platform of commodity parts allowing you to buy your PC more or less by the megahertz. The brand on the case never mattered, and still doesn't. The SNES' legacy is inextricably linked to its form factor and exterior design, PC cases are interchangeable boxes to put your hardware in. The entire idea is ludicrous.

Even Apple would be a better candidate, and they couldn't care less about any product of theirs more than two years old. They want you to throw your old Mac away and buy a new one, not reminisce over it.

Edited by Woolie Wool

5 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

tl;dr - Nintendo is a business, and they will profit from this.

Agreed, I understand exactly where they're coming from in terms of business.

'I could just emulate it' is usually said by the people who can't afford the product

I live in a smallish tourist town with millionaires and a good portion of them are so cheap that they won't even fork out $80 for something they need. So yeah maybe I'm a tightwad with my money, but many people are. I wouldn't shame someone just because they don't wanna invest in this particular product. I completely understand how "smart" this business move is, but I also don't see other gaming companies doing this and I don't see people going crazy over this product.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that!

agreed, I think I'll pass on this.

Why would you buy one of these just in the hopes of a jailbreak? If you want to mess around with Linux and ROMs and whatever, why not just use a Raspberry Pi or what have you?