Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Zandronum & GZDoom are unable to tell the difference between Doom BFG & Doom non-BFG

Hi ,

In C:\IWADs I have both Doom BFG editions & normal (BFG ones are titled doombfg.wad & doom2bfg.wad) but while running zandronum & GZDoom (and not even QZDoom) I get the attached Images below.

Also as you see Zandronum cannot recognize Freedoom Phase 2.

Is there anything I can do with the config files to solve some of these bugs or it needs olny working on source  code ?

Anyway this was more a bug report than a question.

Shouldn't the dear developers search for *.wad instead of fixed names ?

Thanks everyone...

z.PNG

gz.PNG

If you just rename the BFG edition WADs they will be reconginzed as BFG edition. Detection is made on content and apparently both your Doom.wad and Doom2.wad contain the added lumps from the BFG edition.

Zandronum is old, it predates the identification data for some IWADs.

4 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

apparently both your Doom.wad and Doom2.wad contain the added lumps from the BFG edition

No , I checked Doom2.wad. Wolfenstein SS are present as themselves

4 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

If you just rename the BFG edition WADs they will be reconginzed as BFG edition.

I did this. I mentioned the *.wad because if you rename it to something else GZDoom doesn't detect them.

Well ZDoom is looking for them with the same filename, so I guess you can't have both visible at the same time.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/IWAD

Use ZDL launcher, then you can choose the IWAD and name it as you wish.

5 hours ago, VGA said:

Well ZDoom is looking for them with the same filename, so I guess you can't have both visible at the same time.

That is not correct. There's defined aliases for all known IWADs - and identification is always based on content, not name.

Oh I didn't notice the aliases and that the OP  already is using them.

So is the problem that the OP's iwad files are modified?

I have no idea what's up but it seems obvious that his 'originals' are not the actual originals - which get properly identified.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

I have no idea what's up but it seems obvious that his 'originals' are not the actual originals - which get properly identified.

Impossible

I told you I saw the Wolfenstein SS sprites , those were the actual ones and not the zombies.

And I told you that QZDoom & ZDoom detect the wads correctly.

Proof is attached.

On 6/25/2017 at 10:07 PM, Graf Zahl said:

Zandronum is old, it predates the identification data for some IWADs

It won't get updated ? Is it discontinued just like ZDoom & Skulltag ? 

4 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

identification is always based on content, not name.

So , If I rename them everything will all these engines detect them ? Even Zandronum ?

z.PNG

qz.PNG

Edited by The Doommer

Zandronum is still being developed. In fact, they released a new beta yesterday. He meant that it is based on an out-of-date version of GZDoom. Still, it is funny to call Zandronum old when it is practically current compared to ZDaemon or Odamex, both of which are based on ZDoom 1.2 from 1999.

43 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Impossible

Then you got some hacked IWADs that apparently attempted to 'repair' the damage done by the BFG edition but failed to remove the stuff it added.

What warez site did you get them from?

OP, if you can use command line, all Windows versions newer than XP come with a tool called CertUtil. You use it like this: certutil -hashfile doom2.wad SHA1

Older versions of the tool didn't accept lower case in the hash algorithm name but I just tested and at least in Windows 10 (v1607) "sha1" works too.

56 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You know instead of just throwing accusations, get him to check the SHA1 hashes.

It's technically impossible for proper IWADs to get misidentified because the BFG IWADs contain a few lumps that the originals do not and which are checked by GZDoom. This means the only way to get an IWAD with both WolfSS sprites and BFG content is some retroactive tampering.

Then get him to compare the SHA1s first. You won't convince anybody that you're right by saying "I'm right you're wrong", you need to actually have something to show for it, and remember that seeing as he's already disputing your engine in the first place, you can't use your own engine's behavior as the example.

Comparing his Doom2 IWAD hashes would confirm to him if they really are modified, without engine behavior or your angry yelling being his only point of info.

All I can tell you is that none of the original IWADs I own misidentify like this. For that there HAVE to be all of these lumps: "DMENUPIC", "M_ACPT", "M_CAN", "M_EXITO", "M_CHG"

That applies to both Doom 1 and Doom 2.

So, warez or not, these are definitely not the original IWADs but patched BFG Edition versions.

The screenshots are showing that other ZDoom-based ports are successfully recognising them, except for GZDoom. Zandronum's outdated, cause Ultimate Freedoom is not the official name of Freedoom Phase 1.

Possibly, his Doom and Doom 2 WADs are actually modified BFG WADs, and probably have leftover lumps.

MD5 checksum?

51 minutes ago, Voros said:

The screenshots are showing that other ZDoom-based ports are successfully recognising them

That's older ports which do not have the BFG identification signature in their list. Of course they will ID it as the original versions (as will all other ports which make no checks for the BFG edition.)

21 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Then you got some hacked IWADs that apparently attempted to 'repair' the damage done by the BFG edition but failed to remove the stuff it added.

As long as I remember SLADE 3 doesn't allow saving an IWAD. (Well I tried it !)

And if it was a hacked IWAD why QZDoom & ZDoom are able to identify them as Doom II : Hell on Earth & The Ultimate Doom ?!

10 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

That's older ports which do not have the BFG identification signature in their list.

Even QZDoom ?! Besides , Why they (doombfg.wad & doom2bfg.wad) are identified as BFG editions in both ZDoom & QZDoom (even if we don't count Zandronum as an updated source port) if there is no BFG identification signature ?

Edited by The Doommer

Are you trolling us, dude? If this .... and if that?

Use a tool to get the hashes of the files and post them here or stop wasting our (shuper-precious!) time.

That I cannot tell you. But you seem to be the only one having this problem so something on your system must be different than what is to be expected.

What happens if you start with the misidentified Doom 2 'BFG' IWAD? Are you getting the correct titlepic or an error? Can you start MAP33?

7 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Can you start MAP33?

No , and there is no MAP33 at the wad file.

Edited by The Doommer

13 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

And if it was a hacked IWAD why QZDoom & ZDoom are able to identify them as Doom II : Hell on Earth & The Ultimate Doom ?!

Download the attached zip file and start the bat inside it (extract it and double click it in Explorer). It runs these 3 commands:

certutil -hashfile "C:\IWADs\doom2.wad" SHA1
certutil -hashfile "C:\IWADs\doom.wad" SHA1
pause

You should get output that looks like the attached picture if you have the unmodified v1.9 doom2.wad and ultimate doom.wad files in C:\IWADs\

hashwads.zip

hashes.png

12 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

"DMENUPIC", "M_ACPT", "M_CAN", "M_EXITO", "M_CHG"

None of these are present in Doom2.wad

31 minutes ago, xttl said:

You should get output that looks like the attached picture if you have the unmodified v1.9 doom2.wad and ultimate doom.wad files in C:\IWADs\

Output is attached.

output.PNG

Output2.PNG

Graf Zahl , are the DOS dooms modified too ?!

I found the DOS versions of The Ultimate Doom & Doom II and replaced them with those "modified" ones and ran the GZDoom again. But the same result !

Looks like you indeed have the proper WAD files then in C:\IWADs\. I wonder if GZDoom is really getting the WADs from somewhere else? Like from BFG Edition's install directory.

That shouldn't happen, but the IWAD search code is truly boneheaded and in desperate need of complete replacement, because the way it was written makes it nearly impossible to add logic for handling custom IWADs. One really annoying property of it is that searching GOG and Steam paths cannot be disabled.

But here's the thing: None of this has changed in any significant way since ZDoom 2.8.1.

Those are the proper IWADs for Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. I think GZDoom is picking up other files from the folder of the executable or the path. Do you have Doom installed in Steam or GoG or do you have random IWAD files sitting around in GZDoom's folder or in some other folder in your path?

And that's why, kids, I prefer using the wonders of ZDL, since 2005. Never liked the idea of built-in launchers anyway, esp. if yiou cannot be absolutely sure where those IWADs are being picked from.

15 hours ago, The Doommer said:

No , and there is no MAP33 at the wad file.

Then it is not the "bfg" doom2.wad.

This is MAP33 in the "bfg" doom2.wad.

slade.png.c6ebbf699d9ab63514cfc8d90e9a8d7d.png

23 hours ago, VGA said:

Do you have Doom installed in Steam or GoG or do you have random IWAD files sitting around in GZDoom's folder or in some other folder in your path

No , the only Doom2.wad & Doom.wad and their BFG ones are in the C:\IWADs

No one else has this problem seriously ?!

How is this possible while I have the original IWADs ?