Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SaladBadger

Doom bugs: What would people actually like fixed?

I remarked a short while ago that I think Doom is nearly mechanically perfect for its time and that the only thing I would like to see in it are some bugfixes. But, I've been thinking about this, and how this is the game where bugs commonly become features, and I started to wonder what bugs people would actually like to see fixed. This is driven even further since the game has an active speedrunning community, where any potential advantage is exploited in order to shave off some time from a run. While I think in an alternate world where Doom collisions are a bit more stable (fixing wallrunning, grabbing through walls and the like) would still have interesting speedruns, getting rid of bugs like certain blockmap bugs that allow you to get monsters stuck would take away the ability to do certain runs entirely, like the famous E2M8 pacifist run.

So, I'm honestly curious: What bugs would people actually want to see gone? The main one I can say for certain I wish was gone was the blockmap bug, since shooting through things gets a little irritating sometimes. (though even that might have side effects in an alternate reality, if id realizes its possible to one-shot a spider mastermind with the bfg with proper collisions, would they have nerfed it any?)

I wish trees didn't disappear just because you can't see their center. I think even prboom-plus has this.

Mostly movement related stuff like elastic collisions, how bumpy floors shake the screen up, etc. are the only things that really bother me.

Sometimes blockmap stuff where half your ssg blast passes right through that archvile that I need to die right now

If we are talking about boom specifically.. I wish monsters being pushed off of ledges wasnt a thing.. like a lot.

- Blockmap glitch, as first emergency.

- What Linguica said which I used to call "bouncing against the wall".

- Infinite tall bites.

- Spider Mastermind's huge sprite, I would like her target to be reduced so she could roam more freely, doesn't get stuck, and needs the same approach as to a cyber to two-BFG-shoot her. Also, the fact she can infight another one of her specie is ugly. 

Craptacular clipping against impassable non-orthogonal two-sided lines. Wall sliding just doesn't work on them.

I think what bothers me more than anything in Doom is the rampant texture misalignment and also mismatched textures... like the start room of Tricks and Traps. Textures misaligned to all heck and a blue flat on the underside of green walls. It's basically amateur mapping mistakes IMO, no offense Sandy!

I get mapping was hard back then with no visual mode, but I mean like... they can test the WAD and tune it until it was aligned, or did they not care? Or maybe they thought the players wouldn't care or notice enough back in those days. Probably that one, because I swear in my early Doom days I never noticed such things. I'd wager because of (like I said above) not caring at the time and the low quality and resolution.

2 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I think what bothers me more than anything in Doom is the rampant texture misalignment and also mismatched textures... like the start room of Tricks and Traps. Textures misaligned to all heck and a blue flat on the underside of green walls. It's basically amateur mapping mistakes IMO.

I get mapping was hard back then with no visual mode, but I mean like... they can test the WAD and tune it until it was aligned, or did they not care? Or maybe they thought the players wouldn't care or notice enough back in those days. Probably that one, because I swear in my early Doom days I never noticed such things. I'd wager because of (like I said above) not caring at the time and the low quality and resolution.

Why can't there be carpeting on top of a step?

I mean there can be, but it looks really off to my eye seeing differentiating colors beside each other. It would have looked a lot better if they used one of those grass textures to somewhat blend with the green wall they used there. I know it's nitpicking, but it really bothers me. For door undersides it doesn't make sense, for the floor it could but if I were mapping I would have bordered it with a green flat first to give some definition to it. A sudden shift from green wall to blue floor is too abrupt IMO.

Blockmap is really annoying, especially the lack of consistency in punches connecting as well as bullets passing through enemies. It sometimes feels like playing online with lag.

10 hours ago, Linguica said:

The elastic collision bug is the only movement bug I can think of that is 100% negative. Pretty much everything else has some potential "use".

Sometimes I notice that if I push towards an obstacle like a pillar's corner, then after I slide over the corner, I have way too much speed, as if I had momentum already. But I didn't, because of the obstacle... so it feels kinda weird and unnatural to accelerate so quickly.

Is what I am describing a bug/glitch in vanilla doom?

^ Follow Linguica's link (the one you just quoted) and see the post that is 2 posts above the linked one, titled "momentum preservation".