Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R1ck

John Romero is auctioning the original DOOM 2 on ebay

Just now, CzechMate29200 said:

it's already at $750, dammit!

hey, why does it say that it's shipping from Ireland?

I presume because that's where he lives.

Wait, are these like the first ever Doom 2 floppy disks, or just part of the original run?

Neither. The original Doom 2 version was v1.666, as can be verified by any number of sources. It seems like these are just random Doom 2 disks.

2 hours ago, CzechMate29200 said:

hey, why does it say that it's shipping from Ireland?

I believe John moved there a couple years back or he has a vacationing house there.

Do other floppies have these installation instructions on them? Or are these some kind of beta/tester copies?

Wow, $2,150.00 now. You know, if there were copies of old levels, paper sketches, written notes and diagrams, monster sketches, or the like...maybe, just *maybe* a few hundred, or even $1,000.00. But, $2K+, for standard issue floppies? Ain't got it like that.

I'm a little concerned at this point. I think people have the impression that these are "the" original Doom 2 disks or something. Actually, hold on, let me check something...

...yup, looks like it's getting a lot of media attention, for some reason:

http://www.pcgamer.com/john-romeros-original-doom-2-floppy-disks-can-be-yours/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/27/you-can-now-buy-the-doom-2-creators-original-copy-of-doom-2

http://www.vg247.com/2017/06/27/john-romero-is-auctioning-off-his-doom-2-floppy-disks/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-27-doom-creator-john-romero-is-auctioning-off-original-doom-2-floppy-disks

Okay, after some valid arguments and consideration. I got a feeling that this going to be Daikatana situation all over again. 

Romero-signed v1.7 Doom2 disks for $2,500?  LOL, no thanks.

And yeah, John moved to Ireland 5+ years ago with his wife.

Good luck to all the bidders, I'm out on this one.

Dusty

Richard Garriot was selling a vial of his blood. Romero just sells some floppies :D

24 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

It's at $3,050 right now. What? Why?

Bro, it's been touched by John Romero!!!

Probably some people there confused and thinking they're the original Doom 2 floppies, some news articles saying they are isn't helping clear things up either.

25 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

It's at $3,050 right now. What? Why?

Buckshot canceled this year's vacation and made his opening move.

I think maybe those floppies are among the first batch of v1.7. By original he meant..... Well, non pirated. 

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

This is like a piece of the cross.

What is the difference between these floppies and other floppies?

3 hours ago, MrSkeltal said:

Bro, it's been touched by John Romero!!!

And presumably thoroughly made his bitch.

Last time I checked yesterday the bidding was at something like $2,555 (USD).  It reminded me of those money laundering things you see on auction sites where a single old 286-computer from 1990 would sell to a high "bidder" for $5,000. lol.  But I know John is a totally stand-up guy so I insinuate nothing here.  Good for him that some madman will pay him thousands and thousands of dollars for an old floppy disk with the glue coming off the label :)