Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kb1

Do you miss the reputation indicator?

It's hidden. The value must still be there because you can sort the list of users by reputation, even if the value is not visible anymore.

I think it was starting to become kind of meaningless, since it seemed like everyone's reputation was kinda floating around the same mid-100s region anyways. I don't think anyone will really miss it all that much, and now the people who hated it can be happy and rest peacefully.

Nah, I'm glad it's gone. I liked the New Forum Layout but this Like system didn't felt like Doomworld anymore :/...

Everyone's opinion is important to me.

No, I'm glad it's gone. It never should have existed in the first place. Likes themselves are fine, but the big green number had no purpose in being constantly paraded around.

I like the idea of rep points, but only for posts that deserve it. Stuff like Reviews, Questions answered, etc... That way the rep wouldn't just be from someone farming likes from a status update.

I like it more now that it's gone. It's one of those things that never really bothered me to begin with, but now that I'm seeing posts without it...it just looks cleaner to me. Keep em gone I say.

Well, the like feature is still there and the rep feature was just a complement added to "help the like". Besides, the rep feature had diversive opinions...many liked it and many didn't liked it. I prefer that the rep feature stay buried and a opinion of someone is more worthy than a green number to be honest. 

I like the "like" system itself: when skim reading through a thread it's an easy indicator of the posts that other people thought were valuable.

I don't mind losing the reputation number though. If only because it's missing 17 years of Doomworld history. Total post count, which the titles everyone has are based on, is fine. It tells you quickly if someone is a seasoned veteran or is new to the scene.

16 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I like the "like" system itself: when skim reading through a thread it's an easy indicator of the posts that other people thought were valuable.

I don't mind losing the reputation number though. If only because it's missing 17 years of Doomworld history. Total post count, which the titles everyone has are based on, is fine. It tells you quickly if someone is a seasoned veteran or is new to the scene.

Yeah, even the title is a great indicator for it (member, senior, new, green and such)

6 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

I'mn glad it's gone.

From the last numbers I saw it became very clear, that it disproportionately favored people who post in 'opinion' threads (the more polarized, the more points were probable) rather than ones who post in threads about the actual game. This one here is a good example. Lots of opinions, lots of 'like's, but ultimately very little actual value to be found.

With your first sentence are you implying that people with a lot of likes are also those who don't add much actual content, who add less content than their likes would indicate, or something along those lines? I can always detect this subtext in some posts actively railing against reputation, but I'm not sure how thoroughly these people are reading the forums. 

I think it's certainly true that it's not entirely 'reliable'. Just one example: thorough feedback posts, like mine in this thread, will rarely receive many likes, due to the narrower range of relevance (which, incidentally, is why I wouldn't be a fan of any more sophisticated 'metrics' involving likes), but this throwaway one-liner of mine almost has a sexy banner. I'm not complaining though, and since I enjoy it, I have no plans on stopping the thorough feedback posts -- despite every single one of them representing at least a few lost likes in 'likes opportunity cost', when you consider the energy they require. :P All the Doomworld Likes consulting agencies probably wince at that misplacing of effort. I also think it's too frivolous of an issue to be bitter about.

Overall, I think likes and the like counter are an effective way of reinforcing good contributions. The way the likes themselves work in that respect is obvious, but noticing milestones also has a positive influence: if I had x00 likes at a certain time, and noticed myself suddenly with a hundred more at a later time, it was yet another indicator that I added lots of stuff that people enjoyed during that time. I'm not wed to it being displayed on the forum itself, however. 

14 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

but this throwaway one-liner of mine almost has a sexy banner. I'm not complaining though, and since I enjoy it, I have no plans on stopping the thorough feedback posts.

Well, you did gain the most 'likes' by doing such posts. Which only confirms what I've been saying that it tends to favor a very specific pattern of posting which neither equals reputation nor status.

Hooray! Global rep counter gone but per-post likes kept. Best of both worlds.

18 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Well, you did gain the most 'likes' by doing such posts. Which only confirms what I've been saying that it tends to favor a very specific pattern of posting which neither equals reputation nor status.

Nah, posts like these and these do better. I don't really have a lot of one-liners. For me the 'humor' tends to be photoshops and demonstrations of professional-grade artistic skill

Edited by rdwpa

25 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

In spite of agreeing that the like counter wasn't necessarily ideal to have on display the entire time, there also is a certain value in being entertained, or just sharing an opinion. If neither of those are of any value to you, which you made pretty obvious, that's fine and dandy, but that doesn't mean other people see it that way, or should be pigeonholed into seeing it your way.

Most people here are "normal" people in the sense that they come here, grab a wad or two, play, and comment on more or less arbitrary things. In that respect, people who exclusively talk about coding and source-ports receive the short end of the stick, because frankly, most people do not understand anything of what's going on there. So why have a look, let alone leave a like? On the other hand, if all you do is discussing codes all the time, while virtually not at all interacting with the community, that's your decision.

I found it distracting and don't miss it in the least.

As you probably know, I use the public like system on Doomworld to determine a post's merits and if I should even read it. But many of you have argued that either a public like system is not a sufficient way to get the information, or even more so, that I ought to form my own opinion and keep to it no matter what the public thinks. What do you think?

By the way, when I say "liked well", I mean that it has a banner.

2 hours ago, Csonicgo said:

I like the idea of rep points, but only for posts that deserve it. Stuff like Reviews, Questions answered, etc... That way the rep wouldn't just be from someone farming likes from a status update.

I like this. Maybe there could be a checkbox for certain content which allows a point to be given for constructive posts. Call it XP instead of likes. 

I liked the reputation system for its numbers. Higher is better. When they were farmed in opinion threads it devalued them. People who contribute to the community in some fashion should be rewarded for it - even if it's as simple as a gold star.

For new people it seems like it could be a good indicator of who to take seriously.

I don't think it looked cluttered. (in white (never used black))

I also think it would be cool if people who contribute to realm667/afterglow etc. should get badges. Mappers should get a bullet casing that links to each map. Red for vanilla. Yellow for Boom. Blue for ZDoom. Pink for Eternity. ...and so on. Cacoaward winners should get a badge. A review should get a quill pen. FDAs should get something cool. The first to post a breaking news story gets a typewriter. If you've made a source port you should get something l33t. If.... There's a lot of possibilities. This could give everyone a unique profile that kind of explains a little about them. 

I think these type of systems would encourage people to create and improve on their selected skill set.

I'm sorry, but the reputation meter is flawed, because it does not take into account the previous forum software, and even then it would is flawed, because it is only for things on this forum. It does not show true reputation. Does it show how Skillsaw won a Cacoward? Does it show the people who helped create the eternity engine, or even gzdoom or boom? No, it legitimately is a system that can easily be used to fake someones reputation. It isnt needed, we're all sensible enough people here to not need to rely on a number to tell us what kind of person someone is.

The reputation indicator was a legitimately useful indicator of who shitposted the most.

I noticed this was gone for quite a while and nah, it doesn't make all that much difference, "reputation" certainly is not the word to describe that thing, rather it was more of a "agreement" with other members of the forum nothing more so whatever...

aGZrUiG.jpg

In a way its similar to "The Gods Must Be Crazy." Due to a forum update the likes and reputation system dropped from the sky. Chaos ensued.

The like system's 2 biggest flaws are that not everybody uses it and not every "respected" member has been actively posting since the upgrade. It can only represent those who use it, first off, and can only be applied to those who create content to be liked, whether a good/helpful/funny post or a posted piece of work. The rep system will wind up being fairly accurate (within reason) after some time has passed and with the full, or close to it, use of all members. 

Complaining about a system meant to represent you that you don't use is akin to living in the US as a non-felon (read: have voting rights) and complaining about taxation without representation. Gotta cast that vote as often as possible (make your voice heard) for the best representation.