Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Have you ever created your own custom "playlist" of official Doom maps?

As much as I love Doom, some maps I just plain don't like. It's a big part of the reason I haven't beaten Doom 2 that often (I dislike something like half the maps). And thus I had a pretty neat idea that I am currently working on. Basically I am creating my own custom mod (for personal use only of course) that takes all my fav levels from all the official Dooms (including Final Doom and even the master levels) and turns them into it's own game. Each game is considered it's own episode (I am using zdoom for this) and only includes the good levels. I also added more high quality music into the wad as well and a custom title pic (see attachments).

The episode names I have created for the levels are:

Doom: The Nightmare begins (Ultimate Doom)

Hell on earth (Doom 2)

The Final Doom (TNT and Plutonia)

The Masters of Doom (Master levels)

This just started as me messing around but I am now actually legit loving the shit out of my custom mod/playlist thingy. I know it isn't something I can share/upload for others but has anybody else here done something similar for themselves or do you always just play the entire games including your least fav levels?

ProjectDoomTitlePic.png

I like pretty much all levels in the original games, and I play them all the way through. I don't enjoy Evilution and Plutonia enough to play them over and over again.

Have I created a headcanon list of a couple hundred Doom wads with a defined chronology and a basic continuous story to tie them all together? Yes, because I am a huge dork.

I've never felt compelled to do that, I'll just play them all the way through, generally. But there are certainly levels I don't care for. Overall, when it comes to the commercial maps I prefer the original Doom, as Doom 2's maps all appeared rather samey in design. When I think "Doom 2" I think, the color brown. And that's never a good equation. Doom 2 has more maps that I think of as a pain in the neck. I'm alright with the TNT maps. Plutonia's maps don't thrill me from a design aspect and can be a bit "much" in terms of combat. I mean, that's the point of Plutonia but it can still feel like more of a slog than anything.

If I had a "playlist" it'd probably be the same basic order of levels with certain annoying ones removed. I never cared for E1M6, for example. Also not nuts about Unholy Cathedral. In Doom 2, I'd like to replace basically all of the maps with one that was identical but with, you know...interesting textures instead of, once again, the color brown.

33 minutes ago, Maisth said:

I tought the same Doom 2 levels are not that interesting like Doom 1 was

Possibly one of the worst levels in the game for me would be refueling base. Even the music is depressing.

EDIT: Actually, some of the later levels are way worse. I just don't remember them that well because I rarely make it to them.

5 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Possibly one of the worst levels in the game for me would be refueling base. Even the music is depressing.

EDIT: Actually, some of the later levels are way worse. I just don't remember them that well because I rarely make it to them.

Funny you say that because I was going to list Refueling Base as one of the ones I like in Doom 2 but couldn't remember the name. I probably like it because it's a holdover from Doom 1, and it kind of shows, it doesn't look like the other Doom 2 maps.

rofl why did you make a thread in the wads and mods section if it's something you're not going to release.... this is like something from your journal entry.

Seems like a lot of effort when you can just idclev to maps you like.

23 minutes ago, jdagenet said:

rofl why did you make a thread in the wads and mods section if it's something you're not going to release.... this is like something from your journal entry.

Because in order to create your own custom playlist you need to create a wad.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's not the same. Having your own custom made wad with all the levels from all the games in your own personally crafted wad makes it seem more legit, like it's some kind of official collection containing all your fav maps. It's also much more fluid to play that way.

I've done something like this.   I copy/pasted E4M2 into Doom II and then tweaked the monsters (I wanted an archvile after the bridge and changed the caco in the trench to a pain elemental and also added some hell knights.)  Harmless fun.

49 minutes ago, jdagenet said:

Wow, that's one funny difference of opinion on where the ideal location for this topic should be. If only I could be so jovial.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

You can't really do that with the Master Levels, though. Unless you have something that launches them easily, it's a pain in the ass to load them up.

Which is why I did try compiling the themed Master Levels maps into their own episodes a year or two ago. Even added the readme file story segments as intermission text. I can't release 'em of course, but I can play them at my leisure.

3 hours ago, Uberskunk said:

Funny you say that because I was going to list Refueling Base as one of the ones I like in Doom 2 but couldn't remember the name. I probably like it because it's a holdover from Doom 1, and it kind of shows, it doesn't look like the other Doom 2 maps.

I agree with ya but maybe different reason. This map is kind of tough, so I like the difficulty. Doing pistol start is not that easy too ;P

11 minutes ago, Impie said:

(videos)

I like how you present the Dante's Inferno (I don't really know the name, but I know they're Dr. Sleep's maps) and Cabal series. I'm not sure the order of Cabal series though. Did Cranium say the correct order, or this is the order you think making the most sense?

------------------------------------

Honestly, I don't know why you have to make your own playlist not using idclev. You want to play continuously with your favorite maps only? That's the only thing I can come up with. I guess you can use Slade or something to make all those maps packed together. For me, I just want to have the whole meal, no matter it's crap or gold.

I don't have time for a custom playlist. GZDoom's "changemap" command is enough for me. It keeps the resources you gathered up in the earlier map instead of taking it all away.

I don't care about favouritism. The maps are there, so I'll play them. Who am I to judge?

The only personal project I have right now is related to creating a Doom 4 weapons mod that doesn't crash D-Touch.

5 hours ago, Uberskunk said:

Wow, that's one funny difference of opinion on where the ideal location for this topic should be. If only I could be so jovial.

hmm i dont really understand what youre saying. you mean this should thread should be in the trash? sounds fine to me...

18 minutes ago, spiritmaze said:

Totally agree with this. I almost never play Doom 2. It doesn't take me on an immersive journey anywhere close to what Ultimate Doom achieved

I prefer the original Doom for it's better level design although when I play it, I do miss the more varied Doom 2 monsters, since the ones in Doom 1 have little for variation in their attacks. Throw stuff at you, or hitscan. I guess it's more or less the same with Doom 2 but even the multi-directional volleys of the Mancubus' fireballs or the repetitious speed of the Arachnotron's plasma cannon offer more interesting challenges. And, of course, the Revenant's homing missile and the Archvile's immolation thing. But...the level designs are pretty drab with few exceptions. "Inferno" felt like you were truly in hell, while the end of Doom 2, despite supposedly being hell, is just...weird. The Spirit World is nice and hellish but the rest? Eh...

Yeah, I always thought Doom 2 would be better, because it has 2 right there in the name.

And, uh, refueling station is a doom 1 alpha map! My gosh!

I think the issue is the original episodes were a bit more crafted. Fewer authors, and also a sense of direction. I think Underhalls is up there on map design, and actually Doom 2 starts well. But the stylistic design meanders a bit. Great ideas, but it lacks the flow of a Doom 1 episode.

I dunno if playing the McGee maps all together is a better option, but honestly I just dont remember too many of them, whereas I recall doom 1 maps with great detail.

Here's a proposition that would satisfy OP:

Choose 9 maps from Doom 2 (+master) for an episode.

i never finished doom2 in a single run counting saving the game, its very boring, about playlist i already did it before mixing plutonia and doom 1 map pack using a mapinfo file in zdoom, added a great touch in gameplay, like using ssg in e1m9 for example.

Plutonia is the best of them great music and gameplay so Doom is the next great mapping and episode 4 rocks in dificult, very awsome, tnt is not that fun but the musics help on it and few maps really save this, doom 2 meh