Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

Doom's Music vs. Quake's Music

Whos music do like best? 

Doom 1 vs. Quake 1 - I prefer Doom I over Quakes ambient soundtrack (although Trent Reznor did a fantastic job at making it dark and scary sounding)

Doom 2 vs Quake 2 - gonna have to go with Quake 2 (plz dont ban me). Doom IIs music kinda sucks, and Quake 2 had mostly metal themed music.

I think Doom's soundtrack is much more memorable, but Trent Reznor did a fantastic job of creating an unnerving soundscape for Quake. As for Doom II vs Quake 2, I prefer the Quake 2 metal soundtrack over the salsa music of Doom II. Also D_Runnin. DUN DUN DUN.

Doom is best memorable and nostalgic but Quake2 is winner cause has much better sound than midi, plus the tracks are original and no ripoffs. Quake3 is mediocre but has few good ones. Quake1 is awful - ambient noises dont count as music. I was thinking Q1 had no soundtrack but found it and said "hm so lets play it" but after few mins I ragequitted that piece of shit. Thats not for listening.

Both have great qualities about them. I think quakes blends in a bit better. Dooms music is more all over the place imo. But with great tracks like sign of evil it's difficult for me to say quakes is flat out better. I like both significantly.

18 minutes ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

Doom is best memorable and nostalgic but Quake2 is winner cause has much better sound than midi, plus the tracks are original and no ripoffs. Quake3 is mediocre but has few good ones. Quake1 is awful - ambient noises dont count as music. I was thinking Q1 had no soundtrack but found it and said "hm so lets play it" but after few mins I ragequitted that piece of shit. Thats not for listening.

Wat.

Apples or oranges?

Seriously, I can't see a way to compare Doom's music to Quake's. Both soundtracks are awesome for entirely different reasons. In fact, I don't think you can even count Quake's ambient soundtrack as music, it's just there to make you wonder in what horrible corner of existance you got yourself into (and damn it does a good job at that) while Doom's is a metal soundtrack that goes at the rythm of your chaingun while you fill demon bodies with lead.

They're two different beasts for different tones. My love for industrial/dark ambient will say Quake cause T-Rez but Doom 1's score is notably more memorable, especially its gloomier tracks, most of which were used in The Shores of Hell (E2M2, E2M4, E2M7).

As someone whose favorite band has been Nine Inch Nails for the past 13 years, I know Trent Reznor can do better soundtrack/ambient stuff than what he did in Q1. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but imagine what current Trent could do since now he actually scores big motion picture films? 

I just never been into the QOST. The Doom soundtracks were always more memorable to me. 

The Quake soundtrack/soundscape actually makes me tense, so it's doing it's job! I think it's a great piece of music and atmosphere setting.

But the Doom soundtrack is my jam, in some ways reminiscent of how NES games had badass metal-riffage in midi sounding form (maybe why some wads use Ninja Gaiden tracks etc, or Shinobi going 16-bit). And having choice riffs and grooves from Pantera and whatnot? That is solid gold.

Quake 2's music rules too, very "hell yeah" stuff. Doom 2016's score is quite well done too.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

Seriously, I can't see a way to compare Doom's music to Quake's.

The very first track was pretty metal though. I'd honestly think a comparison between the Quake Theme and E1M1's music would be fair.

The rest, I agree, it'd only be fair to compare them to Aubrey Hodges's soundtrack. PC Doom's soundtrack was in a whole different level, space limitations, completely different game design, etc. etc. etc.

I'll say that on average, I prefer Quake's music. Doom clearly wins the best track contest, E1M1, E2M2, and a few others more.

Each soundtrack fits their game really well, on average. But I have a love for more subtle things, so Quake averages a bit better on my account.

I like them all, really.

Doom 1 is the classic. The perfect mix of heavy metal and more somber, creepier tunes short of going the full dark ambient route. In a way, "The Imp's Song" is the perfect representation of this dichotomy -- it's much darker in tone than "At Doom's Gate" while maintaining a strong riff and drum line.

Doom 2 kicks things up a notch with a more epic flavor (witness what's basically an entire Megadeth song, solo and all, in "Running from Evil") and it has fewer in the way of creepy tracks, though it does have its slower songs such as "Message from the Arch-Vile."

Quake 1, or as I like to call it, Trent Reznor's Greatest Hits. This is the album that introduced me to dark ambient, and to be perfectly honest, it's the only thing Trent Reznor's ever done that I like. While there are far too few tracks (I would love for there to have been even 3 more tracks) I understand the nature of the CD medium prohibited that. And it worked perfectly for Quake 1 -- and that's important.

Quake 2's music is just fucking awesome, and is probably more comparable to Classic Doom's music in that it's largely chord-based heavy metal.

Doom 1 and 2's music are a pulse-pounding array of rock and orchestrated fare designed to get you in an action mood. 

Quake's music is designed to be atmospheric and dark, and it works beautifully. 

Quake 2's music...meh all over. Very samey sounding, lacks the memorability of Doom's soundtrack. 

4 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

I never liked Quake's music until the last few years, but anymore I'd say Quake and Quake 2.

Can't decide which one I like better, but I definitely can say Quake 1 (including both mission packs) musics fit the environment, which is sort of different from Doom. Quake 2 musics are also really nice.

Quake soundtrack is best, followed by doom 1/2 and quake 2. Q2 soundtrack seems cool at first, but it gets old pretty fast.

I actually really don't like Q2's music, in Q2 at least, I think the music is fine but it sounds like it would suit Duke Nukem better. Quake II had dark ambient music on the N64 version which could've helped enhance the atmosphere on the PC version.

Doom's soundtrack is more iconic and memorable no matter how famous the composer is.

Pretty much every Quake game has better music than Doom 1 or 2. At best, the classic Doom games have a handful of memorable tunes, but aside from that it's all over the place. It all sounds very fragmented, unlike Quake's which has one common spooky theme. Quake 2 also beats Doom in terms of soundtrack, since it has an industrial rock score that perfectly matches the sci-fi setting and action.

Quake music owns. Sorry, but I hate OST of first Doom games. At another hand perfect music in Doom 64 and Doom '16... Fuck...

I would distinctly choose Quake I's, yet the_broken_ones_(plant) and bells_of_agony by Aubrey Hodges made me to ponder some time.

Doom and Quake has some unique music that's appropiate to the atmosphere of the game. Doom 1 has iconic music that almost everybody recognizes. Doom 2 on the other hand, the music is ok... to be honest. I've never heard the music in Quake 1 but, as you guys said, it has ambient music and I'd like it. Quake 2 music is the most kickass soundtrack that I ever heard. I love it and keeps me pumped.

I'd basically goes to this: Doom 1=Quake 2>Doom 2. Quake 1 doesn't count for me because of the reason explained above.

EDIT: That's not counting the PSX music in both versions of Doom (that's another topic to be discussed and I LOVE that music)

Edited by leodoom85

Too different to compare, really. Excellent in entirely different ways. 

Quake 2's music is good, but as others have said, it does get a bit dull after awhile. 

12 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Quake 2's music is good, but as others have said, it does get a bit dull after awhile. 

hmmm, its not like that with me, I could listen to Rage all day! :)

I'm listening to the Quake soundtrack right now and I have to say the one track that has made the most impact on me is this one. Whenever I hear this track I get goosebumps. It makes me think of some eldritch, ancient, forbidden ruins from some unknown epoch of time lost in the passage of an expanding universe. And that naive upright simians should not be tearing open holes into the very fabric of reality itself and letting in horrible things as Doom and Quake have taught us.

@Piper Maru yeah, that's Track04, Track03 is pretty freaky too, mainly because of the whispers. And the title "It Is Raped" makes it sound that much more creepy. It would actually make a great ambient track for a Doom level in hell

We posting Quake music now?

Every time this track came on I became intensely anxious. The rhythmic pounding seemed to match my heartbeat as I walked through dark corridors, hairs standing on end as shadows moved and unholy moans filled the foreboding structures whence I trod. Easily the most ominous track in the game. 

Not a fan of Quake 1's (And Quake 2 64's) ambient tracks, I do love those by Aubrey for the console Dooms, if I had to chose then I'd immediately pick Sonic Mayhem's Q2 tracks.

All the way.