Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

Would people be able to tell it is your own map without reading the readme?

Or any .txt file that accompanies it.

And no, naming your .wad or level as your username does not count.

Nor making sectors that spell out your username (unless it is a signature that tells like, 10-15% of your full username).

Or any special texture changes or changes in TITLEPIC that should say "MADE BY ____"

Or any fancy hacks.

Basically, would people be able to tell its your work just by the style of it?

I'd recognize a map made by myself just by the first room.

This is my main objective of my mapping career, TBH.

Currently? Maybe, provided they have played some of my previous (and recent) ones. @Voros is probably the only such maniac I know of. (Thx dude!)

Also, this sounds like a good idea for somebsort of contest. Like, have a buncha people make maps, give just a list of names and leavr it to the public to guess who made what.

In Russian speedmapping contests the authors are hidden until the judging stage is over, yet pretty much every time at least some people manage to identify my level. It always makes me feel a little embarrassed, like "argh, are my works that repetitive?".

Some of this depends on how long a mapper has being creating mods, and how much s/he has evolved. A mapper's early style is probably quite unlike his/her "evolved" style, and the early maps may have nothing in common with recent maps.

Another factor that shapes the style is the theme - tech maps are likely not to resemble hellish maps or urban maps.

If I were to play the maps I created in 1999 (but, why, for the love of all that's holy would I do that?) I suspect I wouldn't recognize them.

No. my Mapping style is rather chaotic, and random, and just forms as I build. I dont generally plan beforehand, so the maps tend to be all over the place. My newest map has a real valiant vibe to it yet you wouldn't be able to call it a skillsaw map at all because it feels nothing like it, only looks it. But, at the end, Its not so much about recognition for me, but for me to be able to look back and say "People enjoyed this map."  it makes me feel happy.

hee that'd be the goal, you know you've made it when people attribute curiosities to "oh, that's their style" instead of "oh my god this map is so badly made" hee

if you aren't a name mapper you aren't getting away with any labyinthine bullshit, overlong levels, spontaneously impossible encounters, or the polar opposites of those, but once you're established people'll cede their stupid preferences to your perceived experience

I like leaving messages either in the environment or in the automap.

In Doom II Redux, map 2, in the room with the backpack you can see "Trace was here." in blood on the floor.

People need to recognize that I exist first before they can recognize my maps.

And I need to release more maps.

Its been years if not a decade since I've played or made my own maps. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but I guarantee I'd remember them when playing them. I made and played them for days and weeks versus playing other maps for what an hour at most? They will always stand out to me as my own creation despite having vanilla requirements.

I think so, I've noticed that I have a thing with vistas that kind of go on forever with very few doors. It's not much of a conscious choice either.

I use a shitton of octagons in my levels just so I avoid using orthagonal rooms. That's how I know the level is mine.

1 hour ago, Royal_Sir said:

I use a shitton of octagons in my levels just so I avoid using orthagonal rooms. That's how I know the level is mine.

Me too, but there is still probably plenty to distinguish your style from mine.

I never cared if people could recognize my work, I made them all just for fun and to spend the time, Maybe (maybe) people can recognize my maps by the hard platforming because I generally don't map very often for vanilla.

Some famous/longstanding mappers had tell-tale/signature styles, though not always because their maps were considered good. Case in point, George Fiffy aka King REoL, well noted for his REoL TOUGH maps.