Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jupiter_ex

Hi. I wanna contribute some original music to Freedoom

my pleasure. When I have some time I will look at those.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:01 PM, Voros said:

I suppose the SSG sounds can be left alone for now, until more people give their thoughts.

I would love for someone else to give their opinion on this. So far I've been pretty much talking only to you here

Anyway. I can definitely remove the clanging sound from the ssg. I think what's in there now at least delivers the original intention of removing the "remove the magazine and reinsert it back up" from the old ssg, and goes more towards a "open barrel-load-close barrel" sfx that better fits this ssg design.

I also thought about making more notorious the shells sounds, like in, the sounds of empty shells flying away when opening the barrel, or a "thump" when doomguy (freeguy?) puts them down the barrel

EDIT: btw I've been toying around with the open / close doors sounds too. But I don't think I have something showable already

Edited by jupiter_ex

On 4/25/2017 at 5:55 PM, jupiter_ex said:

I would love for someone else to give their opinion on this.

The SSG sound is quieter than the SG sound. That is also true for the current version, but while you're at it, this seems like a serious problem that should be fixed.

Other than that, I'm probably not the best person to judge sounds. I'm happy, if it's slightly more convincing than a beep.

Having said that, I think your sounds are a slight improvement over the current ones. I can't hear a difference between the two versions you submitted. Again that might say something about the value of my opinion.

Every opinion is welcome. I'd rather have a lot of people giving their opinion on the stuff I do, to have different points of view (and to please the most people)

Btw I didn't feel the SSG was quieter than the SG. That's still the old shooting sound there, I only changed the reload

TBQH, I never really cared about the volume of sounds (although I believe the the sounds in Freedoom are way too loud, drowning out the music), as long as it's legible and produces a feeling of badassness (or whatever the situation calls for). There's something quite beautiful about Doom 2's SSG, it just feels right to my ears. And Doom 64's chaingun also feels the same.

I guess what I'm saying is that a weapon should have sounds that makes the player feel powerful upon using the weapon. I never get tired of Doom 64's chaingun. Frankly, I like the new shotgun sound @jupiter_ex made. They feel like they pack a good punch and don't sound as "echoey" as before.

Anyway, what Freedoom has for its SSG sound will do for now. The higher priority here are the missing sounds and medium priority to inconsistent/needs-polish sounds. 

IIRC, freedoom2.mid was d_dm09 and freedoom3.mid wasd_dm24.

You should use freedoom3 as map c1m1 it suits that map amazingly well! heres a wad i put together in slate that adds a couple of jupiter_ex's music and two other tracks that i found.. i forgot the name of the person who made the music i set to e1m4 and map01. 

1.zip

On 5/2/2017 at 7:06 PM, Voros said:

IIRC, freedoom2.mid was d_dm09 and freedoom3.mid wasd_dm24.

That's fine, I think freedoom.mid would fit best in map30.

Map30's music doesn't need replacement. The main reason I want to put in C1M5 is because C1M5 and C2M6 both share the same track.

hey, haven't been around for a while (undergoing some job issues and stuff. Also, I honestly didn't expect a surge of activity in this thread, mostly there's been Voros and me :P ). I didn't know c1m5 wasn't added yet, please don't hold it for me if you think it could go right now. @Voros you said it could use some more variety, I'm willing to fix that but I would really like to deliver something good rather than just make anything and send it. It also depends if we're time-constrained in this or if we'd rather favor quality over urgency.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:55 AM, Voros said:

I guess what I'm saying is that a weapon should have sounds that makes the player feel powerful upon using the weapon.

+1000 to this

On 2/5/2017 at 1:55 AM, Voros said:

And Doom 64's chaingun also feels the same.

didn't get to use this one yet, or, if I used it, didn't attract my attention

Perhaps for future sounds, you should provide a reference of what you would like it to sound like. I was never to fond of Doom's SSG sound. The reloading sound sounds strange, almost like clockwork or somehing. I think we all like different sfx and have in mind different ideas of how it all should sound like. I've been playing Valiant the other day and found the plasma gun sound in it maybe the most fittest plasma gun sound I've ever heard. But again, I think it changes with every person.

I had a look at the MIDI and I mustsay that there's a lot instruments in there. More than I would have expected. I guess it shows how much work you put into it. Like I said the before, the MIDI sounds excellent ingame. And since you wanted to work on it more, it wasn't proposed for being added. TBQH, even IDK what kind of variety it needs. I'm all about compromises, because theres no such thing as perfection. My ears tell me its a great track and testing it ingame proves it. It would be great if it went in as it is. 

Freedoom's been in development for over 15 years; take all the time you need. Personally, I would like to see Freedoom get finished as quickly as possible before the world moves on to some new trend/era.

As for the SSG, I can't say what would make a suitable sound or not. Although I think you're on the right track with your proposed sounds.

Forgive me for bumping.

I took a closer look at all the instruments in freedoom1 and I think some cleaning up is required. The Power Set and Standard Set drums are split up into multiple tracks. It would be nice if you could try to merge all Power Set drum notes as 1 or 2 tracks in the MIDI. Same goes for the Standard Set drums.

Forgive me for bumping.

absolutely no problem.

freedoom1 is "C1M5"? Kinda has been some time :P haha. Let me find where the midi for that is and I'll take a look at making all the percussion in no more than 1 or 2 tracks.

Anyway, was that even included? I'm always to download the latest version of FD to check. Also, I saw some othe guy doing replacements and rearrangements for FD around here. I thought perhaps my C1M5 was history

sure I'll see what I did there

Heh, there's a lot of MIDIs right now, yeah, but freedoom1 is assigned to c1m5. It just hasn't been added yet. The whole freedoom repo has been inactive for 3 months, some reason and that doesn't help much in terms of progress.

But no, your MIDI ain't history. And hopefully, you'll be able to do what I asked.

Also could you upload this somewhere more stable, like Dropbox? TinyUpload links fade away eventually.

sure. I started trying tinyupload after seeing you using it. Thought maybe dropbox wasn't too trusted by you guys. Anyway, would you prefer for me to send it on an email to you maybe? or wikis, github, anything, let me know

Anywhere really. The link has to remain stable. I could upload it my Geocities/Dropbox.

Edit: freedoom_v2_t0.mid on my GeoCities.

Edited by Voros