Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

So where does your username come from?

Back when I was an elementary-school kid I overheard some boys making lame Polish-language puns on Judge Dredd's name. Apparently I found them so hilarious (me being ~9 years old and all) that when I made a GameFAQs account, I picked a lame English-language pun on Judge Dredd's name as a username, and has been using it ever since out of inertia.

My username is a combination of one of my favorite childhood video game characters, Shadow the Hedgehog, and a username I started using in RuneScape in 2009, Ninja Lord Z. Combine them and voila, Lord Shadow Z.

Like a million years ago when I still only had a dial up modem I wanted to create a gamespy account (yes it was that long ago), and picked the name gamer. But it was taken so gamespy suggested hardcore_gamer instead. I thought "what the hell" and took it. I then decided to use it here as well.

My username can be divided into 4 pieces:

galileo: doesn't mean anything to me, just a random name.

31: the day my favourite singer was born

dos: because I post (or used to) old DOS gameplay recordings of games from my childhood.

01: the month my favourite singer was born

There's no special story behind my username, several years ago I was looking for walkthroughs and gameplays of those games that nobody plays anymore, and I thought "I should do the same". Since there was no existence of full gameplays of this specific game called Fury of the Furries, I started my own. Mine were simple, run Dosbox and record a semi-perfect no-deaths run of the whole game, including all the secrets, which are one of my favourite things of any game. Once I completed the game and was satisfied by my performance, I created a Youtube account and posted one video per week. After 3 or 4 videos I forgot to keep posting due to also using the same account with Google+ and some problems happened that there is no point talking about them... Several months later I restarted to post more videos, also noted a lot of views from my previous videos, but almost no comments, which is what I actually cared about. So yeah, long story short, last summer I remembered about Doom, started to play, got into pwads, found Urania, created an account and here I am. 

Perhaps the first 3/4 of this story is boring and uninteresting... I don't care, read it anyways C:

a relatively mild mental illness that is not caused by organic disease, involving symptoms of stress (depression, anxiety, obsessive behavior, hypochondria) but not a radical loss of touch with reality

I think this name suits me because that basically describes who I am, as I have PTSD but I'm not completely out of touch with objective reality. And I bring that up a lot because I always say "make your mess your message" because I have been able to help like minded people with this mindset, so I don't shy away from the truth and I turn something negative into a positive.

Also it's my favorite metal band. 

I wanted to come up with a real cool name this time, and I thought roadsters are cool and just removed the 'a'. Turns out rodster means something like Fisherman, which I liked. :) I never went fishing though :(

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Like a million years ago when I still only had a dial up modem I wanted to create a gamespy account (yes it was that long ago), and picked the name gamer. But it was taken so gamespy suggested hardcore_gamer instead. I thought "what the hell" and took it. I then decided to use it here as well.

holy shit i remember gamespy! :D

Gamespy allowed me to parade around the lobbies with the name LordBloodHawk for years. I never forgave them. Then I shifted to something much more inconspicuous and odd, like a piece of furniture.

37 minutes ago, SP_FACE1 said:

My favorite texture.

heh. when i got to e3m3 for the first time i found a wall with that texture and kept coming back to look at it, so fascinating was that thing.

i have my name since 1990 when i was playing LHX attack chopper, and, being a pilot, i needed a name. so i took it from stanislaw lem's tales of pirx the pilot which i had read then, as the name was simple and catchy, not some overblown 1337gamer nick,  i thought. indeed, some guys that played doom with me in the past still refer to me as "pirx".

I like Caffeine. A lot. I never sit down to do modding work without a caffeinated beverage close at hand, be it a coffee or a Rockstar.

Only sugar-free stuff, though.

I think I only use this nickname here now

Jupiter Ex is the version of the Lithtech engine Monolith used to make FEAR 1 and 2 and Condemned 1 and 2. Games that will never leave my heart, or my hard drive, until both of them are not running anymore (...that was kinda dreadful)

4 hours ago, Neurosis said:

"make your mess your message"

I loved this

2 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I like Caffeine. A lot. I never sit down to do modding work without a caffeinated beverage close at hand, be it a coffee or a Rockstar.

Only sugar-free stuff, though.

you should start posting more again my friend!!

@Pirx, I'm curious where Torr Samaho comes from? The main developer for Zandronum uses that nick, I thought you both were the same person for a few years!

14 hours ago, SP_FACE1 said:

My favorite texture.

Heh, I remember playing through E2M4: Deimos Lab as a kid and seeing that texture for the first time. Those creppy faces combined with the level's ominous music...the stuff of nightmares, man.

10 hours ago, Cupboard said:

you should start posting more again my friend!!

Heh, I'm flattered. I still check the forums almost daily, but often I'm too preoccupied with modding to post much. And when I do post here, its usually on the Phobos subforum, which is not visible to the vast majority of members.

Its easy for me to get really distracted and lose track of time, so my thinking has always been that the more time I spend on things like message boards and social media, the less time I have for being productive with work-related tasks.

Short answer: It's the same as my YT channel name.

Long answer: Not long before I opened my YT account, I learned about the "Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Universe," which is a sci-fi novel (I think?) in which some scientists program a supercomputer to reveal the great mystery of the universe and the meaning of life -- and its answer was 42. I thought that was funny, partly 'cuz I'm an engineer who works on programming supercomputers, and partly 'cuz I'm an easy-to-amuse math nerd. After that, the number always stood out to me whenever I noticed it anywhere, and it seemed like it popped up on my health status a lot when playing Doom. So now this is my username for all my gaming-related web activity.

Oh god. It all started with the 14 day trial of World of Warcraft where I signed up for a test account at my friend's place. I always liked Turok as a kid and so we tried Turok, but it was already taken. He told me there's an NPC called Turak, so we tried that, didn't work. We ended up with Torek, which worked.

The second k came some time after, when at some site a user named Torek was already existing and I couldn't be arsed to think of anything new.

And before sticking to this nickname since 2008 or so, I also went by the name KampfKater, so the 2 k's kinda remind me of that.

Fun fact: There are 14 player characters in WoW called Torekk, none of them belongs to me. I never played further than the 14 day trial and private servers.

Edited by torekk

I want to read rdwpa's story. (If not just random characters)

Edited by Spectra : I always write characters incorrectly

it's the name i came up for my character whose face i plaster on here and much else of the internet. it had a nice ring to it, so i've kept it going since.

note that it has nothing to do with viscera. a lot of people mispel my name as Viscera, and that's not how i came up with it. in fact, i pronounce the name as "vye-scra", to further help differentiate it from bloody guts. :p

On 7/3/2017 at 10:19 PM, Doomkid said:

@Pirx, I'm curious where Torr Samaho comes from? The main developer for Zandronum uses that nick, I thought you both were the same person for a few years!

this-is-a-name-i-have-not-heard-in-a-lon

the doom wiki is right, it's from a german science fiction series, and i used that name some time simply because i liked it (and the story of that villain). and, on the other hand, i thought i didn't want to use the same name everywhere. little did i know that in the small world of doom there was someone better known using that name already. i changed it after noticing that people indeed mistook me for the programmer.  after all, "pirx" was way older, and that pilot pirx was a likeable guy not bent on being a hero, so why change something that served me well for years.

Thought of Tootsie Roll candy, even though it's not available where I live. Then promptly thought of a bowlful of candy. As you can see, I kind of have a affinity for candy. Mashed the two phrases together, changed the "ie" to a "y". Boom, a username. Thought it up on the bus while trying to think up a name for some mobile game.

Found the profile pic on some Doom tumblr. Guy was mashing status bar faces together, then commented that one of the faces looked like Doomguy was trying to force a shit out. Thought it was hilarious and made it my profile pic. It's kind of lost it's edge now though.

The name comes from the first GTA when your player character works for a Triad-like gang. You're sent out on yet another mission to kill criminal scumbags, but for some reason they give you this NPC to watch your back. I also liked playing Action Half-Life back around 2001-2002 (God, I wish more people knew of the sequel) and decided to adopt the name around 2004, though I didn't get my name changed here til the new forum change.