Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

Name 5 Albums That You Would Listen To For The Rest Of Your Life

Basically like the video game thread, if you had only 5 musical albums to choose which would they be? and remember these albums are going to be your only source of music and you have to listen to them for the rest of your life, so make it count!

so basically a top 5 albums thread.

1. Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 3 OST

2. Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon

3. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

4. The Birthday Massacre - Walking With Strangers

5. 2814 - 新しい日の誕生

I'd just put a bullet in my head. I like wayyyyyyyyyyy too many bands to consider only 5 albums being anything less than torture. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I'd just put a bullet in my head. I like wayyyyyyyyyyy too many bands to consider only 5 albums being anything less than torture. 

Yeah me too, that's why I think it's fun because it really racks your brain and makes you think.

1. Tool - 10,000 Days

2. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

3. Tesseract - Altered State (Instrumental)

4. Lost Horizon - Awakening the World

5. Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath

Hmmm.

1-Care of Night - Connected

2-Rhapsody of Fire - Symphony of Enchanted Lands

3-Myrath - Legacy

4-Shokran - Supreme Truth (Instrumental Ver.)

5-Work of Art - Framework

Really hard to choose.

Invitation to the Dance - 40 Below Summer

Violence - Nothingface

Break The Cycle - Staind

Ænima - Tool

Augment - Erra

picked all of those based on the fact that I don't hate a single song from any of them.

What a tough question!

1. Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid

2. Mos Def - The Ecstatic

3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

4. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (Really close to putting Demon Days here)

5. MF DOOM - MM...FOOD

I'm a huge MF Doom fanboy, but for the sake of variety (y'know, since this is would be my only source of music) I put some other favorites up there.

Really interested in seeing other peoples' choices.

1. Metallica - Ride The Lightning

2. Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer

3. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

4. Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

5. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

These are not my top five favorite albums, but I need variety.

1. Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

2. Hour of 13 - 333

3. Pentagram - Relentless

4. Trouble - Psalm 9

5. Satan - Court in the Act

Weezer - Pinkerton

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Ween - The Mollusk

i cant decide on the other two

2) 

3) Brian Eno and Robert Fripp - Evening Star

4) Brian Eno and Robert Fripp - No Pussyfooting

(3 and 4 are not on Youtube, which is why they are listed as text only).

5) 

The 5 Albums that I would listen to for the rest of my life are:

Skinny Puppy - The Perpetual Intercourse (1986)

Ministry - Twitch (1986)

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (1989)

Aphex Twin - DrukQs (2001)

Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies (2005)

Spoiler

master of puppets (metallica)

black sabbath (black sabbath)

led zeppelin III (led zeppelin)

octavarium (dream theater)

cosmic blues (jeronimo)

Really tough question. If there was a list of of greatest human inventions I'd say that music should be at the top. No one listens to, or enjoys, every genre of music, but it would really suck to have my my scope for music so narrowed. Personally I'd say that you can find something for you in every genre, even if you don't generally enjoy that style. But enough rambling, if I had to pick, I'd chose these, because I really love these albums:

1. The Wall - Pink Floyd
  2. Rust in Peace - Megadeth
  3. Painkiller - Judas Priest
  4. Welcome to my Nightmare - Alice Cooper
  5. The Man who Sold the World - David Bowie

Dang man, if I could have 5 artists for the rest of my life, Pink Floyd would definitely be among them^

Clan of Xymox - Creatures

Skinny Puppy - Bites

Front Line Assembly - Echogenetic

KMFDM - Kunst

Red Army Choir - The Best of The Red Army Choir

Well this is nearly impossible for me to tell, but if it was for the rest of my life, i would need music for my constant mood change...

1. Bathory - Twilight of the Gods (One of my favorite album ever, viking!)

2. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (takes me into a dark atmosphere)

3. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane (My love for this entire black/death melodic genre)

4. Iron Maiden - Killers (A childhood memory classic that i never got tired of after 10 years) 

5. Sodom - Obssessed by Cruelty (For my lust of 80's German raw and thrash violence)

Probably not my top 5 though, because i wouldn't be able to do so. Too much good albums out there.

Edited by Mayhem666

Dream Theater - Awake

Dream Theater - Images and Words

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Yekta Hakan Polat - Turkey Anatolia

I could fill the list with nothing but Avenged Sevenfold albums and I'd be happy for the rest of eternity. But for the sake of variety...

1. The Stage - Avenged Sevenfold
  2. V: The New Mythology Suite - Symphony X
  3. Once - Nightwish
  4. Siren Song of the Counter Culture - Rise Against
  5. Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge - My Chemical Romance
  6. No Grave but the Sea - Alestorm

It's too hard to narrow it down to just 5 so I cheated and added one more. There are a few more albums that are very close contenders but these are the ones I simply couldn't spend eternity without.

Yeah I suppose I just assumed I'd still have my own music, and therefore would have an unlimited supply of new stuff.  My own music is written for me first and foremost anyway.

System of a Down - Toxicity

Nirvana - Nevermind

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Dead

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

Shoutouts to - ...and Justice for All (Metallica), Vulgar Display of Power (Pantera), Let There Be Rock (AC/DC)

an attempt to not bore myself by bringing five albums in the same genre:

einstuerzende neubauten "silence is sexy"

mike oldfield "tubular bells"

this heat "deceit"

bjork "selmasongs" my favourite of hers even though it's a small EP sized thing

magma "kohntarkosz"

but really it would probably be five compilation tapes of my own making :))) i make my own editions of everything and don't particularly respect the album format anymore

frankly I can sing along with a lot of music I've memorized over the years anyway, I contain the entire radiohead, manic street preachers and super furry animals songbook and more besides

i wouldn't take any metal because there's all sorts of music that's more powerful than metal, which in itself is a highly regimented and predictable genre with a knack for robbing itself of impact through its context killing traditionalism and music technology arms race which literally creates a need in producers to shear away the heaviness between the notes. if I had to pick a metal album to bring I'd be choosing between Meshuggah "Destroy. Erase. Improve", Napalm Death "From Enslavement to Obliteration" and Boris "Amplifier Worship"

Edited by yakfak

1. Piece of Mind or Somewhere in time by Iron Maiden (couldn't decide)

2. Painkiller or Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest (couldn't decide)

3. Rainbow-Rising (because Stargazer and A Light in the Black)

4. The Last in Line by Dio (more Dio-I love The Last in Line, We Rock, The Chains are on)

5. Blizzard of Ozz by Ozzy Osbourne (Mr Crowley and Crazy Train alone make the album worth it and it has Randy Rhoads on guitar-what else do you want?)

Edited by Guest

@Kiyohiro Oh wow, I should have put Bill Evans Trio (especially Moonbeams) and Ryo Fukui in my list! It's such a hard choice, I can't believe I didn't include any jazz!

That would be nearly impossible because musical tastes tend to shift and change.

The most long-lived in my collections may therefore also be the safest bets:

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2

Therion - Theli

Nightwish - Oceanborn

This list is hard to make, since my tastes have changed a lot over the years and will probably continue to do so until I die. But these are five albums that I could never allow myself to live without.

maudlin of the Well - Bath / Leaving Your Body Map

Dreamy progressive death metal with a mystical twist. I don't really know how to sell motW, but this album captivated me from the moment I first heard it and I'm still discovering its odd mysteries to this day. It contains some of the sweetest and most comforting moments in music I've ever heard, and yet it contains some of my favorite death metal moments ever. This and another album on this list are probably the most prominent examples of Toby Driver's musical genius. I can't get enough of anything he does, but this (and choirs, listed below) are my "desert islands" of his collection.

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

An enigmatic sequence of increasingly weird and despair-driven tracks from the mind of Justin Trosper. This album is nearly an hour an a half of dreamy, illusive post-rock that commands and yet shuns your attention with wild theatrics and bright, misty colors. It takes a very dark turn in its second half, turning strictly inward and revealing a layer of vulnerability that will pull you in to the bitter end. It's hair-raising and loud, yet thoughtful and introspective, and it's one of my favorite albums of all time. An impeccable note to end a career on.

Warning - Watching From a Distance

Legendary mourning. This album is a vortex of sadness and thick doom metal riffs that penetrate my soul deep and hard. Patrick Walker's earth-moving voice and lyrics are on full display here. I just can't properly explain the feeling I get from listening to this album. It just turns every wretched emotion I have buried inside me into a towering, unshakable piece of beautiful music. This is my go-to album for when I'm feeling somber, and I can't imagine never being able to listen to it again. It's not for everyone, but it speaks to me profoundly. Desert Island.

Death - Human

It's Death. Seriously, I think my love for death metal can be traced back to this album. It helped me develop an understanding of a genre that seemed impenetrable to me by mixing the speed and technicality of metal with progressive song structures and lyrical themes that went beyond the "grave", so to speak. It proved to me that there was so much more to extreme music than just mindless noise. It was, in fact, VERY mindful. From here I was able to discover the intricacies of dozens of other records that shared similar traits, and Opeth was no longer the only "heavy" band that I could bear listening to. But it's not just a gateway drug -- it's still one of my favorite death metal albums of all time. It speaks to me on a base level, and yet it appeals to my thoughtful and inquisitive side as well. RIP CHUCK

Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

This is the album that took the eclectic mysticism of maudlin of the Well to its logical conclusion. It's a grand journey across every stretch of the musical spectrum. Starry, enlightening washes of woodwinds against massive walls of blackened guitars. I've listened to this album many times, and yet I feel as if I'm hearing it for the first time on each listen. There are layers upon layers of mystery in each track, and they each give way into possibly the most complete and satisfying listening experience of my life. I want to discover this album forever, so I can't be without it.

This list could probably change as time goes on, but I'm pretty confident that these five will always be mainstays in my listening. Five is just way too small a number.

Edited by Pavera