Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Fun, quick little map.

Tried to go outside my comfort zone and make a more simple map where I throw out most of my own mapping conventions. WARNING: It's a brown-as-fuck tech base.

DL: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B84hvcgQXuvAVW1MUDV2UEgwN2c

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170702_225027.png.69e7338649a5fabd54eb57f79cc9a58d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170702_225104.png.ef8e16ec22651b2d0a4f43f658032e0a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170702_225117.png.8dcabefba6dcaa5ce1ae51dff032ddba.png

Have fun.

Edit: This is supposed to take up the map01 slot. As in, it would be the beginning of the set.

Edited by Lo_Mein

Your wad doesn't have any content. map01 in GZDoom is the original Entryway, loading it up in GZDB gets me a 'Could not open the WAD for reading message', and in SLADE it's a corrupt archive. I'd suggest against ultra-generic filenames such as 'unnamed.wad', too. 

What rdwpa said, and mediafire is also not great. Dropbox or googledrive are vastly superior, though I'd recommend dropbox for files that contain no vital information about you.

I always fuck everything up. Sorry. Made the link to google drive, and changed the name of the wad. I never bothered to change it before.

8 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

mediafire is also not great. Dropbox or googledrive are vastly superior. 

Why? Dropbox is annoying with its constant popups. 

32 minutes ago, everennui said:

Dropbox does not have pop-ups in its downloads; that is a blatant false statement.

Mediafire does have pop-ups when you try to download it but there is a loophole; right click the download and save target as.

Decent MAP01, but there's a few kind of boring combat scenarios that feel more like ammo sinks than tense encounters (An example being that encounter with all the Spectres.). Really like the lighting and overall layout though. Not overly detailed but looks nice and gets the job done. Would be interested in seeing a set starting with this map.

9 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

Dropbox does not have pop-ups in its downloads; that is a blatant false statement.

Everytime Often times when I try to download a dropbox link there's always another step in the way of me pressing the link.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't say, "everytime" 

Edited by everennui

as a traditional MAP01 it's fine, layout's pretty good, and it's not horrible looking and the "brown-ness" plays to an advantage at points. In my opinion, still needs some better texturing, more interesting hallways than square "turns" i guess and.... maybe some environmental hazards and more interesting things to look at to make it feel a bit more fleshed out. aesthetics are subjective AF though so I'll keep at that

gameplay was the weaker end of the map, i'd recommend turning things up by quite a margin on UV, just a preference as I didn't find it too much of a struggle (but then again, it's MAP01, i'm assuming youre going for a more traditional style so it's fine) aaaand yeah I agree with the "ammo sinks" comment, monsters ought to be more varied, less ammo fodder etc etc..

overall pretty small map but it's not too confusing to wander and does give off a more classic vibe to it which is something you don't see alot of lately and it's pretty cool that you're bringing it back with this. pretty good map looking forward to more if you choose to make more (i'd be cool with it)

1 hour ago, everennui said:

Everytime I try to download a dropbox link there's always another step in the way of me pressing the link.

take the dropbox link, change "dl=0" at the end to "dl=1"

7 hours ago, everennui said:

Since I started using dropbox I never had a pop-up even once. Not when downloading, not when uploading. Might wanna check if your browser is infected.

8 hours ago, Plusw said:

Decent MAP01, but there's a few kind of boring combat scenarios that feel more like ammo sinks than tense encounters (An example being that encounter with all the Spectres.). Really like the lighting and overall layout though. Not overly detailed but looks nice and gets the job done. Would be interested in seeing a set starting with this map.

What I wanted to do with the Spectres was have them chase you throughout the maze-like layout of that half of the map. I guess it didn't have the intended effect.

7 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

as a traditional MAP01 it's fine, layout's pretty good, and it's not horrible looking and the "brown-ness" plays to an advantage at points. In my opinion, still needs some better texturing, more interesting hallways than square "turns" i guess and.... maybe some environmental hazards and more interesting things to look at to make it feel a bit more fleshed out. aesthetics are subjective AF though so I'll keep at that

Can you specify an area that where you felt the "brown-ness" plays to an advantage? Perhaps I can make the overall visual quality more consistent.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Since I started using dropbox I never had a pop-up even once. Not when downloading, not when uploading. Might wanna check if your browser is infected.

I don't see why some virus would target Dropbox exclusively. Seems unlikely.

Changing the 0 to a 1 helps, but honestly just clicking the pop-up is quicker. If everyone changed it (and a lot of Doomworldians do) it'd a be a lot better, but that's not going to happen.

Saying one is better than the other is just like your opinion, man. 

It's cool. Common mistake. Been there, too. 

Saying dropbox is better than mediafire becomes less-and-less "one's opinion over another" and more a collective movement against using it with each new member that starts off using it, sees what people complain about for their own eyes, then makes the switch away from it.

Mediafire is shady, intrusive, secretly downloads adware files to one's computer and is extremely untrustworthy.

Also, @everennui, your holier-than-thou attitude of posts here is disgusting and shameful, especially for somebody with little experience talking to a community full of it. Nobody said dropbox was perfect and I've yet to see a Dropbox>Google Drive crusade, but mediafire is absolutely terrible and the collective reaction against it is not shocking in the least. But it's cool. Common mistake. Been there, too. Sometimes our own feet taste good, no?

Edited by Fonze

KMA. I'm not going to be called a liar for not lying.

Addendum: Holier than thow? Like when some one uses their own personal moral compass to dictate to others what's an acceptable response? Hypocrite. Proceed to use the phrase that I used and some how because @Fonzeused it, it's so much better. 

Maybe everyone could do a little better if they decided to talk to people with respect. Simply.

Edited by everennui

Personally, I've never had a pop-up on drop box. Regardless, the link I used is to my google drive, so really, this conversation shouldn't be happening.