Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

First 2 maps, critique wanted

Not sure if this is the right place, and I'm probably the bazillionth person to ask for opinion, but here it is anyways.

There's a small story connecting the maps, but I think it shouldn't matter right now.

Also what's the best kind of WAD-editing software around?

Screenshot_Doom_20170704_213625.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170704_214422.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170704_214432.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170704_214532.png

firstmap.zip

Edited by TootsyBowl : Screenshots added.

Post the story anyway!

For maps I use Doom Builder 2. For everything else I use Slade. Both highly recommended.

Or gzdoom builder. Maps are cramped. First map lacks normal ammo and some health. Second map is more interesting, but red skull chamber door requires all three keys. Change it. 

26 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Also what's the best kind of WAD-editing software around?

I use Doombuilder 2 for mapping, since it is the more stable builder for me. GZdoombuilder crashes on occasion for me while DB2 runs like a charm. For any editing that isn't related to mapping in and off itself I use slade.

8 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Or gzdoom builder. Maps are cramped. First map lacks normal ammo and some health. Second map is more interesting, but red skull chamber door requires all three keys. Change it. 

What? The door to the chamber with the red key isn't locked at all...the thing that needs all three keys leads to the exit.

Anyway, the story:

Map 01:

"You are a former UAC pilot who died during the testing of an experimental spacecraft. Sure you did some shitty things in your life, but Hell? Did you really deserve that? Well you've had plenty of time to stew, but one day everything changes: what feels like an earthquake (or Hellquake?) shakes your chains loose. A part of the ceiling then caves in, and with it falls a corpse clad in the familiar uniform of a UAC Marine. He has a handgun and some ammunition on him. For the first time in possibly forever you are thankful for your weapons training. Those other pilots can laugh all they want. But that's irrelevant now. As you slam a fresh magazine into the sidearm's grip, you steel yourself for your escape."

Map 02:

"As you exit the elevator you spot an odd sight. A UAC armored personnel carrier, here? All the soldiers and crew seem to be either dead or possesed, and the way the vehicle came in is too steep to climb up. Still there's probably useful things inside. Anything to help you to the surface."

I would like to know what the intended source port for your maps is, or what mapping format you used, so I can tell what source ports I can run them with or not.

10 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

What? The door to the chamber with the red key isn't locked at all...the thing that needs all three keys leads to the exit.

Strange. I need check it once again. 

Alright, I was wrong. My mistake. I ran it quickly, I didn't pay attention on it. 

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I would like to know what the intended source port for your maps is, or what mapping format you used, so I can tell what source ports I can run them with or not.

Well this map has been only tested in GzDoom (by yours truly). There are some really tiny details that may cause problems with some ports in the second map. I don't know, I've never used anything other than Zandronum and GzDoom.

you know, it would be wise if you provide some screenshots from your map.

I think I can see a light flat (TLITE6) being used on a wall, so it's probably ZDoom compatible

Before I start playing the maps, there is something I spotted: If you look at the first screenshot, it seems like the door is made of two (or more) linedefs, because of the "texture seam" it has.

25 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Before I start playing the maps, there is something I spotted: If you look at the first screenshot, it seems like the door is made of two (or more) linedefs, because of the "texture seam" it has.

I know. I fixed it and several other minor issues and reuploaded it.

played blind it in HMP difficulty on GZDoom. I somehow having a trouble picking up the first medkit in a door switch room in the first map (refer screenshot). Overall of the first map is fine. I love how cramp it is.

The second map is fine IMO though I think it should be darker since it's in some sort of cavern or something (despite how I HATE dark places AAAAAAAAAAAA) I might hit on you if you didn't put the berserk pack near the starting area. I love how you made the cavern thing and monsters everywhere and I only have a goddamn pistol. In fact I just use pistol when fighting arachnotron that somehow refused to get out of the yellow skull area so I can make it infight with the imps near the same area. The thing I love about this map is I have to strategize shit with a limited ammo.

Oh, by the way. You should change the Caco trap to some other monsters at the red key room since its too adorable to kill kinda bogus since I got no room do dodge and escape. Great map by the way :D

Screenshot_Doom_20170704_233607.png

Gave your maps a spin. 

01 seems like a map you made to learn how to do basic things in the editor, so I won't judge the simplicity too much. But if you're going to release this wad elsewhere, I'd recommend adding a chainsaw or single shotgun to make the gameplay smoother. Pistoling out ten imps and a pinky in narrow hallways is pretty dull, even for the minute or two it lasts.

02 is a much more complete map. I played this one twice because I felt I didn't have enough to say about it after my first playthrough, and beacuse with a 4:xx first exit it was easily short enough to do that. The structure and architecture is very simple -- e.g. the overall floor plan of the cave are is quite flat -- but there are some nice aesthetic touches here and there, and so the visuals are not too bad at all for a second map.

As with the first map, however, the gameplay is very simple: you pistol out some zombies at the start, and you punch out a bunch of monsters in the caves. If you don't find the secret chaingun, all of the bullet boxes that are littered throughout the caves are of little use. At one point I was wondering if I failed to locate a chaingun that was given away as part of the non-secret balance, due to how many bullets were out there, so I'd suggest moving all of those boxes into the secret along with the chaingun. (If you're expecting people to actually pistol out all of those monsters, then don't -- it's a rare player that would enjoy plinking away at all those imps and pinkies and cacos.)

Afterwards, you go upstairs and you punch out more things, or use the single shotgun, whatever floats your boat. This is the first point in the level where you really have a reasonable choice of which weapon to use. (Assuming, again, that you don't find the secret chaingun with lots of monsters still roaming around, which is far from a given.) I think in general when monster placement is very freeform and casual like this (the caves are essentially a homogenous subset of the Doom bestiary, littered around loosely), it's a good idea to allow the player some choice of which weapon to use. Using the berserk is fun, but I don't want to be in a position where I have no other choice. Given the modest threat level, it gets a bit repetitive. The same would apply if the single shotgun or chaingun were the only weapons. As a player, it's more fun to mix it up: to punch some monsters, to use the single shotgun on others, maybe to even use a few rockets elsewhere. So I'd strongly recommend moving the shotgun earlier in the map and providing a bit of ammo for it. 

The blue key room is cute but it's not particularly fun to actually fight in there, with that giant dinner table in the way (what I did on my second playthrough). What's more fun is entering the red key room and having the monsters from the dinner table pour into that side (what I did on my first playthrough). The blue armor secret unfortunately happens to be located in the blue key room, meaning the player is best off going there first. One potential solution: reduce the monster count that is initially in the blue key wing, and release monsters in the connective room upon each key pickup. So monsters will stream into the red key room upon picking that up no matter what, and much of the fight for the blue key can be conducted outside, where it's a bit more fun. 

Overall, I get the sense that you design more with atmosphere and visuals in mind than gameplay, at least as a starting point. Your gameplay tends to be 'blanket an area with a moderate density of monsters' without too much (apparent) thought put into exact placements or how they'll put pressure on the player. The cacodemon trap at the red key feels like it attempts to challenge the player directly, so I thought it was the best part of the map. There's certainly an audience for maps that are driven more by atmosphere and narrative than gameplay, but as a new mapper, I'd recommend getting more practice designing interesting gameplay, in your next effort. You don't necessarily have to use too many traps or set pieces if that isn't your thing, but even incidentally placed monsters can be used in strategically interesting ways.

Edited by rdwpa