Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TDRR

PSX Doom HD cover art?

What is the highest resolution cover art of PSX Doom you know of? Preferably without the "Custom Playstation Version!" line or anything else that isn't the art itself (This doesn't matter that much, if you have an HD version of it then that is enough for me)

Thank you, i found one but this one is more cramped and thus works much better for 4:3 ratio.

EDIT: Here is the edited version if anyone wants it, main changes are most white spots removed and the TM symbol was removed too.

doom wallpaper.jpg

Edited by TDRR : Adding my edited version

It's worth noting is more to the art- if you look at the Japanese cover for example-

194669-doom-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Edit: With some photoshop and rejigging of things from different covers it might be possible to get a "clean" version without logo...unless the actual art can be tracked down!

Edited by FuzzballFox

The original plastic long box (not cardboard long box) NTSC U/C version of Doom for PS has this art in larger size than it appears on the regular CD sized cases of the PAL and NTSC J versions. It also does not have any logos or markings on top of it. Somebody would have to sacrifice their case to get a good scan of it though, and there'd still be a gap between the 2 cover halves (though somebody can always try to fix it).

I can take a photo of it later but I'm not going to break the case unless I can find another one cheap somewhere.

20 hours ago, TDRR said:

Thank you, i found one but this one is more cramped and thus works much better for 4:3 ratio.

EDIT: Here is the edited version if anyone wants it, main changes are most white spots removed and the TM symbol was removed too.

doom wallpaper.jpg

There is a stray yellow pixel there under the Doom letters! Yuck!

There's a version of the cover that has a cyber in the distance outdoors.  I own the game with that kind of cover.

On 2/7/2017 at 6:52 PM, TDRR said:

doom wallpaper.jpg

This is hands down my favorite depiction of the Doomguy

On 2/7/2017 at 7:44 PM, FuzzballFox said:

It's worth noting is more to the art- if you look at the Japanese cover for example-

*Cover art*

Edit: With some photoshop and rejigging of things from different covers it might be possible to get a "clean" version without logo...unless the actual art can be tracked down!

Here's the best i could do with MS Paint (Or poor man's photoshop)

194669-doom-playstation-front-cover12.jpg

I tried to crop it as least as possible so as to keep it mostly complete, but there was way too much to do and my copy/paste would be much more noticeable.
If anyone can remove the Japanese text, i suppose it would be much more complete.

And maybe taking some art from the other versions which are much more taller would help covering up the DooM logo.

On 3/7/2017 at 2:08 PM, Impboy4 said:

There's a version of the cover that has a cyber in the distance outdoors.  I own the game with that kind of cover.

Please scan it and post it to the Doom wiki, i can't find this one anywhere.

1 hour ago, TDRR said:

Here's the best i could do with MS Paint (Or poor man's photoshop)

I tried my hand at editing the logo out in photoshop by combining your image with another version of the cover. I'm not really good with photo manipulation, but maybe someone else can have a crack at it.

lICFegd.png

33 minutes ago, Jim Greezy said:

I love this cover art.

had a little play around with ps

Small fix.

595bff857549f_doom1psx.jpg.a644bfd99541ce6ccb6a3ac1c382c41246ad.jpg

You know those lines/patterns on the ceiling? They were missing from your previous image so i fixed that.

The original cover art was illustrated by Roger Motzkus, and the clean and uncropped (albeit slightly low-res) artwork complete with the deleted Cyberdemon firing his rocket can be found on his website.

pHDtZDt.jpg

2 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

The original cover art was illustrated by Roger Motzkus, and the clean and uncropped (albeit slightly low-res) artwork complete with the deleted Cyberdemon firing his rocket can be found on his website.

pHDtZDt.jpg

Thank you!

EDIT: I find it interesting that on his site he captioned this photo with "Client: SEGA"

On 7/3/2017 at 6:47 AM, xttl said:

The original plastic long box (not cardboard long box) NTSC U/C version of Doom for PS has this art in larger size than it appears on the regular CD sized cases of the PAL and NTSC J versions. It also does not have any logos or markings on top of it. Somebody would have to sacrifice their case to get a good scan of it though, and there'd still be a gap between the 2 cover halves (though somebody can always try to fix it).

I can take a photo of it later but I'm not going to break the case unless I can find another one cheap somewhere.

Can you take a photo of the plastic longbox for the game?

EDIT:
Also here's an Infogrames PAL release http://www.ebay.com/itm/201952326711?rmvSB=true

Edited by betabox

2 hours ago, betabox said:

Can you take a photo of the plastic longbox for the game?

The scan in Nevander's first reply is the long box artwork. While there are two variants of the case itself (Nevander's image is the flat cardboard box as opposed to the ridged plastic), the artwork on both is the same. There is no long box variant that features less a obstructed cover.

13 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Wow, nice find! I was extremely surprised to see that he was also responsible for the cover art to "Powerslave", another rather obscure FPS for the PS1/Saturn:

PowerSlave.jpg.7e8a6c053339690cb420c424b2fc378d.jpg

2 hours ago, Mattfrie1 said:

Wow, nice find! I was extremely surprised to see that he was also responsible for the cover art to "Powerslave", another rather obscure FPS for the PS1/Saturn:

PowerSlave.jpg.7e8a6c053339690cb420c424b2fc378d.jpg

another awesome looking cover art.

For anyone curious about the current physical whereabouts of Motzkus' Doom art (and also Powerslave, for that matter), this user on the AtariAge forums has stated he purchased the original paintings from Motzkus himself some time ago.

He also painted the covers of Doom for PS1 and Powerslave for Sega Saturn / PS1

I contacted Roger several years and purchased all 3 of these directly from him.

I don't really like the depiction of the Doom Guy in this one. He doesn't really look like a space marine. There's something very out-of-place and archaic about it. Regardless, it's a really great piece and I think a great interpretation of the game. That cyberdemon in the distance is a nice detail, too bad it was removed!

16 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

The scan in Nevander's first reply is the long box artwork. While there are two variants of the case itself (Nevander's image is the flat cardboard box as opposed to the ridged plastic), the artwork on both is the same. There is no long box variant that features less a obstructed cover.

Speaking of these long boxes, there might be a 3rd long box variant, which has inlay artwork that spans both inner surfaces. That is, unless the cardboard box ones were all supposed to include this. This was mentioned on another forum. Most copies of the cardboard box variant I've seen, including the one I own, don't have it. Here's an example, though it's in pretty rough shape http://www.ebay.com/itm/262830181252?rmvSB=true