Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Can't Read Some Topic Titles Because Every Word Is Capitalized

I fail to read some of the topic titles on this forum. For some reason the authors capitalize every word in them, which makes it too difficult to read anything. My eyes, like, get stuck on every word. So please stop that.

I'm really bored of the way most people use this forum as a means to be heard rather than a place to ask questions or initiate discussion.

If youre not looking for feedback then write in a diary.

In the near future, all Memfis' posts will simply be titled "I am unhappy and do not like a thing". If only I had the knowhow to make a Chrome plugin, actually... :P

28 minutes ago, 40oz said:

I'm really bored of the way most people use this forum as a means to be heard rather than a place to ask questions or initiate discussion.

I partially agree here, because the way I see it, it's still the status updates which are being abused for this purpose most of the time. Some people made a habit of posting these like twice a day or so, and most of the time it's all just air.

For the forums themselves, I'm not so sure. Some people just don't know how capital letters in english work, perhaps? I find it just as irritating as Memfis does, but I'd much rather that than having everything written CAPS-LOCK STYLE!!!one1eleven

This thread reminds me of someone who posted in a super weird style on this forum a long, long time ago.

The funniest style is wh

en they hit enter every

time they reach the bo

rder because they don

't realize it wraps auto

matically.

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

I fail to read some of the topic titles on this forum. For some reason the authors capitalize every word in them, which makes it too difficult to read anything. My eyes, like, get stuck on every word. So please stop that.

It's called title case and it's a perfectly legitimate way of formatting titles. In general titles that are tidy noun phrases (often a very 'specific' thing) should be formatted that way, as in 'Cacowards 2017 Mentionation Thread' or 'Return to Daro -- A Love Letter for STRAIN’s 20th Birthday' or 'The Doom Confessional Booth', and titles that are more traditional sentences or longer, more vague phrases often look better in normal case, as in 'What's your least favorite health pickup?' or 'Why are there so few "cannon fodder" enemies in Doom?' or 'Things about Doom you just found out'. I'd agree that there are many threads that shouldn't be using title case and are anyway (or aren't doing it the 'elegant' way, with certain transparent words left in lower case), but there are also many where it's preferable. 

This is not comparable to, say, Ender Kevin (aka Sgt Ender aka AbsorbedHatch) writing posts like these, before he found other annoying things to do. 

What I hate is stuff like:

E D G Y

D       G

G       D

y G D E

Or whenever someone wants to look cool by emphasizing like this but forget to skip a line to underneath their name and it looks like that someone said:

"Uhh, this sounds sooo eedgeeeyy, like, supa dupa ultra eeedgeeeee... (I am a better person than him by the way)... *BREATHE IN* EDGAAAAYYYY...!"

Anyways, miserable and eye raping. Like that person has to constantly prove themselves to others by lurking and picking on mistakes like a vulture.

This Is Definitely More Tolerable. At Least To Me. Somehow.

Although whenever I see It Being Used Like This, I Immediately Think Of Clickbait Stuff Like:

One Million Players Had Already Downloaded This Game!

I definitely agree, and I'd also like to add the following pet peeves:

• Not using any punctuation whatsoever.
  • Putting apostrophes where there should be none.
  • Forgetting to put an apostrophe where there should be one.
  • Not capitalizing the first word of a sentence.
  • Using an incorrect word and blaming it on "autocorrect".
  • In 4-digit numbers, using "K" where it might as well be a 0, for instance "2017" > "2K17".

my only real problem with others' Sentence Construction, Voice, And Intended Audience here is how sometimes people will type stuff like "While a Cacodemon most certainly does float in the air, I would also like to offer the following addition: a Cacodemon is fat and red. Therefore, it somewhat resembles a flying tomato. This observation is often used to comedic effect among the Doom community." damn dude youre making a post on doom fan forums, not writing an essay for a high school english class. take it easy

Edited by moonboot : i got completely fucking decimated by the smartest person that ever lived

^ That's a critique of sentence construction, voice, and intended audience, not grammar.

24 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

I definitely agree, and I'd also like to add the following pet peeves:

• Not using any punctuation whatsoever.
  • Not capitalizing the first word of a sentence.

(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

44 minutes ago, Tracer said:

Typing This Way Seriously Prohibits You From Reading This At A Normal Pace?

Yes because I constantly read each next word with a hard sound, thus interrupting the flow of the sentence in my head and making it slower and very annoying.

My pet peeves are when somebody posting abbreviates a single word (e.g. "srsly" instead of "seriously")

And, not necessarily on this forum, but when they use one of the lesser used/known internet acronyms like "YMMV" that make me have to look up what it means.

(I already know what YMMV means, just giving an example.)

Edited by Xyzzy01

10 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

My pet peeves are when somebody posting abbreviates a single word (e.g. "srsly" instead of "seriously")

And, not necessarily on this forum, but when they use one of the lesser used/known internet acronyms like "YMMV" that make me have to look up what it means.

YKWRGMG? Meta replies. Even though IANAM, I wouldn't WTPOTFEITWTLPOTF because THBACTB funny since rghly 2010. 

Edited by rdwpa

6 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Well I didn't so damn you... made me look it up.

50 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Yes because I constantly read each next word with a hard sound, thus interrupting the flow of the sentence in my head and making it slower and very annoying.

So stop doing that.

You should reserve the hard enunciation for the beginnings of sentences.  If you can't, then you should practice reading English with an English speaking friend (I am assuming that English is possibly not your first language given the diversity here, kindly pardon the mistake if that is inaccurate).  Besides, titles are supposed to be capitalized throughout save for insignificant words ("of", for example).  

That being said, if someone capitalizes every word in a sentence that is not a title, then they are being improper.

Sorry, I always title like that because that's how titles work, unless post titles don't follow this rule, in which case I didn't get the memo. I do it with youtube videos and such too, if it really bothers you THAT much, I can stop. 

I thought title should be capitalized except articles and prepositions, or maybe "am/are/is"?... However, if inside the thread someone talks in the title manner, that's annoying.

I guesS capitalizinG thE firsT letteR iS betteR thaN capitalizinG thE lasT onE thougH.

Wait... now I read the OP again and it says "every word". Does this mean capitalization on words that are not supposed to?

Edited by GarrettChan

29 minutes ago, Tracer said:

Besides, titles are supposed to be capitalized throughout save for insignificant words ("of", for example).

Looks like we got a New York Times reader over 'ere, boys!

7 hours ago, Memfis said:

You Are Literally The Worst Guy, You Know That, Right?