Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

ACS To C And C++

Not in the slightest. All you learn is how to follow a syntax, but then any language can teach you that, including C/C++ itself. ACS lacks far too many concepts that C/C++ relies on, such as memory management.

I disagree. Learning any programming language no matter which one will ultimately help you understand the next one better. The first one I learned was Visual Basic, and learning how it all works made learning C++ easier, which both in turn made ACS a cakewalk. Sure what you said is true about ACS mainly being just following a syntax, but knowing how to use said syntax and understanding the mechanics can come as a skill from past programming experience, which can also of course apply in the reverse order too.

perhaps with Javascript, as they are closer in relation. ACS and Javascript both manipulate elements that the user can see.

But other than that the only thing that the two languages really have in common are basic programming syntaxes like if/else, loops, variable declaration etc. ACS commands have specific commands relating to DOOM (and it's similar games), while C++ is pure programming and if I'm not mistaken is used to make the DOOM engines themselves.

In other words:

ACS relies on the ZDOOM Engine. It's similar to Javascript.

The ZDOOM engine relies on C++.

Source: Programmer; C# is my mother tongue, and I know ACS. They are not similar.

You can learn programming concepts themselves and then it is just a matter of syntax and the ever annoying million names for the same damn concept. Beware though since different languages have basics that might not even exist in other languages. P.S. Enjoy learning about pointers and objects! ACS probably won't prepare you for that. 

I felt the need to chime in here as a doom mod I worked on directly lead to my career in programming. So I worked on doom tournament 2004 with Wad o holic and Mr Rocket adding CTF to doom legacy. To accomplish this, we need the FraggleScript scripting. I had dealt with it before, but I would say that it took a lot more than just the basics to get that to work. Working with them taught me various thing with the script such as thing like variable and other programming techniques such as loops. From that I got pretty interested in programming in general so I started to learn other language such as delphi. I ended up building a simplistic space shooter sadly using control tags as variables but it was just another step in learning development. Luckily though, I was able to show that to a friend who was already working for a company and was able to score an internship with the company based on what I had done. From there, I learned even more about programming based on the various projects I was tasked. After many years of working there my position was eliminated and I put a resume into a couple of other companies. I ended up getting a programming support role in the company I work for now. Again many years passed but through those, I was able to work with others and research on my own to find the best in programming practices which leads me to where I am now where I am a senior programmer at where I work.

TLDR: So basically scripting can help you definitely help you understand the general flow of programming, but if you really want to understand how to build something, the best thing you can do is branch out and try to build projects separate from just using any kind of doom engine scripting. There are a ton of resources online to help you get through the basics. If you get stuck I recommend you post to a development source like https://stackoverflow.com/ where people seems to always be available to help. It also helps to have some sort of mentor that can give you comments on your current code to understand how you can do it better.

Edited by AlysiumX

Thanks to everybody that commented on here, specially AlysiumX for his amazing story, In which case yes i was just asking if ACS Was similar to C and C++, but that doesn't mean ill go full on into Programming my dream is to become a Level Designer, i may learn Scripting in the road but its not my full intention