Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Fighter,Cleric, or Mage??

Fighter,Cleric or Mage?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you play as the most?

• Baratus, the Fighter
    • Parias, the Cleric
    • Daedolon, the Mage

In correlation to my previous thread on Your Thoughts on Hexen, I would also want to know which character class you would use the most for the game as well.

So, Fighter, Cleric, or Mage??

Either that aren't the Mage; broken as shit endgame weapon, tedious as shit early game weapon? Nah.

Cleric's fun to lay stinkbomb Flechettes the fuck everywhere and watch enemies suffer. Fighter? PUNCH THINGS, THROW FLECHETTE GRENADES. WIN.

Fighter if I don't have time for centaurs crap, else mage. Cleric is too imbalanced so I don't find it fun to replay using him. (garbage early game steam rolls late game, meh). At least the other 2 classes have a more consistent difficulty curve. (Mage a bit less once he starts oneshotting centaurs, but that's a plus!)

I'm replaying the original game with Mage, and it's not as horrible as I remember. Learning that flechettes can blow up centaurs even when they shield up improved the quality of life considerably.

Though I still think it's a bad sign when the game forces you to waste valuable resources out of boredom rather than necessity.

Mage is, in weapon usage, broken. Sapphire wand.....piercing ability...the more lined-up enemies you have, the more powerful it gets...unlimited ammo.

Fighter is a very close second place. Weapons are pretty powerful.

Cleric sucks, except if you have the Wraithverge..

Cleric is not only the best class in Hexen, but the best class in RPGs in general 

I love melee weapons, not just in Hexen, but in any game with that system in mind. I LOVE to run like a madman and punch the shit out of everyone, or make hordes of ettins explode into blood and guts with the Quietus. So yeah, Fighter.

Fighter is my favorite if for the fact it encourages a unique combat style (melee) that you don't see in other id Tech 1 engine games. He's also generally the best when it comes to overall pacing, laying waste to most foes with ease, save for the damn Wendigos early on.

1 minute ago, cyan0s1s said:

Fighter is my favorite if for the fact it encourages a unique combat style (melee) that you don't see in other id Tech 1 engine games. He's also generally the best when it comes to overall pacing, laying waste to most foes with ease, save for the damn Wendigos early on.

or for that annoying wyrm...

Ideally, I would play the first third of the game as the Fighter, fight the three class bosses with the Wraithverge, and play the rest of the game with the Arc of Death, Firestorm, Bloodscourge, and Cleric Flechettes. IMO, none of the classes are well-rounded enough to be enjoyable all the way through the game without some cheating.

Since the Fighter is the only class that can effectively deal with those godforsaken Centaurs, the matter basically settles itself.

Caco, the cycloptic lightning wizard.

13 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

Corvus, the Badass

I usually play as the mage or the cleric.

I wish Corvus was a Hexen class (Gauntlets, Crossbow, Dragon Claw, Phoenix Rod?). If I ever get around to Hexen modding, I'll make it happen.

Cleric's 2nd weapon is just about overpowered as anything in the whole game. Makes it a tough choice between Cleric and Mage. Cleric's 2nd weapon guarantees you ain't running out of health, ever, for any reason, ever. Unless you get ambushed but most monsters in Hexen are relatively slow moving (except afrits and dark bishops). Cleric's final weapon is a thing of beauty. So inspirational. Also he has the best flechette/bombs

Mage has the best 2nd and 3rd weapons. You can use the 3rd weapon to massacre weak enemies and stun lock people for a long time. It immobilizes centaurs and renders dark bishops powerless long enough to run away or switch to the wand or 2nd weapon. The Mage's 2nd and 3rd weapons buy you a lot of time. 2nd weapon creates frozen statues which can block enemy pathways and the 3rd weapon makes most monsters unable to attack you at all. The 4th weapon is badass but could be the weakest of all the superweapons

Fighter is good for speedrunning obviously. His 2nd weapon is cool and the 3rd weapon is all right but it forces you to slow down and take aim at people which can be annoying. The projectiles moves so damn slow it's almost worthwhile to simply use the hammer to pound on enemies at close range until you get an easy-moving target moving in your direction, then you can throw your hammers. The 4th weapon is solid as heck you won't be disappointed.

Overall TUD's weapons/character/artifact mod is absolutely recommended. Check out his above post^^^^^^

I have to say the Mage is my favorite class, but the Cleric falls shortly behind him. If you use the 2nd weapon at close range (touch contact) it operates at its most powerful form. The melee damage from 2nd weapon (frost shards) is nothing to underestimate. It means you can quickly clog up a hallway and Hexen is a cramped game when you aren't playing on the hub maps. His 3rd weapon is better than the cleric's 3rd weapon. The 4th weapon is alright but you really only need it to clear a room full of enemies anyway.

7 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

I wish Corvus was a Hexen class (Gauntlets, Crossbow, Dragon Claw, Phoenix Rod?). If I ever get around to Hexen modding, I'll make it happen.

i don't know if the weapons mod TUD posted has it in, but the latest version of Serpent Resurrection, and the RPG-mechanics mod only, does have Corvus as a playable class in Hexen.

I tend toward Mage pretty often, just because you have to be resourceful to survive as him, while the other two are pretty much bruisers by comparison. Only real gripe with him is that damn Bloodscourge, which is dull and mostly useless unless you're at point blank or in a large open area.

If I'm just testing out a new map, I go fighter.

On 05/07/2017 at 11:31 PM, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i don't know if the weapons mod TUD posted has it in, but the latest version of Serpent Resurrection, and the RPG-mechanics mod only, does have Corvus as a playable class in Hexen.

The weapons mod has it too. (it has all 7 classes with just the weapons, and the RPG stuff taken out)

Last time I played was with the fighter. It was a more enjoyable experience compared to when I beat it under the Cleric class. The weapons just feel more balanced, with more versatility while being efficient in mana. The Quietus isn't all that impressive, but makes for a decent panic weapon for when you're cornered. 

I have never gotten too far with the Mage, at least not past the Seven Portals. I wasn't a big fan of his flechette type, his weapons, not to mention the paper-thin defenses. I won't deny the potentially limitless power of the Sapphire Wand, but I just can't find the appeal in its grindy nature - worsened by the necessity to use it for much of the game due to the mana cost of other weapons. Worst of all is that SHTOY! SHOTY! firing SFX would irritate me to no end if I had to hear it in such repetition. If/when I do play as a mage, that sound has got to go.

At least the mage weapon has a railgun effect where it can hurt many at one time depending on the positioning.