Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

How to test if you are better than a computer!

1. Grab Oblige if you haven't already.

2. Get it to poop out a single level.

3. Time how much time it takes for it to generate the level.

4. Grab your level editor of choice and make a level. You must finish building the level within the time Oblige took to generate one level.

5. Play and compare the two levels. Which looks better? Which is more fun?

I love Oblige. No one could finish creating a level as fast as Oblige.

I thought this would turn into.... play Oblige. Play a game of Oblige see if you're better than the levels it creates. I've done well with Oblige. On some versions I can get through nuts level monsters. The trick is to hide like a coward.

is this a joke about how slow oblige is? Oblige only takes like 20 seconds for me. I might be able to get two sectors and a player start in that time.

Nope. If you can make a good level faster than Oblige, congratulations. You will be one of our front line troops in the war against the machines.

30 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Nope. If you can make a good level faster than Oblige, congratulations. You will be one of our front line troops in the war against the machines.

Only to get murdered as mapping skills and a human body translate poorly in combat against robots? Hmmm I wonder who would strategically place troops better, a machine using the Oblige engine or a Doommaper?

Well... time to play Oblige!

As much respect as I have for Oblige, it shocks me at times that with all the vast quantities of quality, hand made wads out there that nobody will ever finish, people spend time playing these computer-generated maps more than a handful of times.

I say an easy victory as-is would be simply owning a computer. It's your slave to do as you command at that point.

10 hours ago, Fonze said:

As much respect as I have for Oblige, it shocks me at times that with all the vast quantities of quality, hand made wads out there that nobody will ever finish, people spend time playing these computer-generated maps more than a handful of times.

Great point. I suppose for me its just the ease to make an Oblige map and drop it in. I don't have to visit a site for each wad, unzip it, read the .txt file to know what level I should be playing. I'm lazy at my age and I just want to play :-)

I remember Skulltag or whatever it was that came with Skulltag felt pretty easy to drop into a map. The thing would search for the .wad of the server and it was just easy. Maybe someone has a program / shell / client like that for .wads and I've just been oblivious to it all these years.