Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Is it possible to select the screen transition?

Question

This question is intended as a ZDoom editing question - is it possible to control the screen transition used via the mod, be it GAMEINFO, MAPINFO or otherwise? I saw something might be possible via Intermission definitions, but the mod in question makes use of the nointermission flag in MAPINFO on all maps.

9 answers to this question

The thing about built in CVARs is that you can print them, use them, and do stuff with them but can't change them. So, you are going to have to work around it using SBARINFO and some inventory trickery. This will give you total control of when the HUD should be visible.

DECORATE:

ACTOR IsPlaying : Inventory
{
	Inventory.MaxAmount 1
}

ACTOR NewDoomPlayer : DoomPlayer
{	
	Player.StartItem "IsPlaying", 1

<rest of your crap>
}

SBARINFO:

StatusBar Normal, forcescaled, 1
{
	InInventory "IsPlaying"
	{
		<HUD crap here>
	}
}

You mean force the transition into something like crossfade or burn? I don't think that can be changed on a mod basis, it's always a cvar. I wish it were though because my mod is meant to be played with no transition, and yet I see everyone using the default wipe. :(

I've tried searching the ZDoom forums and found... nothing. All the threads I've seen that suggested making an option to set a screen wipe type in MAPINFO ended with Graf Zahl seeming pretty intent with keeping it a menu option only. :(

EDIT: That said, the intermission settings you mentioned has an option for the type of screen wipe, but only for "melt", "burn", and "crossfade". No option for none at all.

Edited by Xyzzy01

I suppose you could do a workaround if this isn't possible. As soon as you go through the green portal and the white light starts, the hud could disappear and then reappear once the new map starts and the white light fades. The excuse could be that the transition and the bright light interfere with the hud and it shorts out for the brief time that you're being teleported.

@Ichor that could work. What method would an author use to do this? I looked into https://zdoom.org/wiki/SetCVar when trying to find a solution to the problem above but it specifies that it is user-defined CVars only, not predefined 'system' ones.

I tested it to be sure:

#include "ZCommon.acs"

Script 1 (void) {
	SetCVar("ScreenBlocks", 12);
	int HUDSetting = GetCVar("ScreenBlocks");
	print(d:HUDSetting);						 // Prints 10, not 12. :(
}