Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mysistersbike

My First WAD Ever

It is 4:50 AM and I just finished my first presentable WAD with bad design. Am I proud of it? It's my first, of course. It's very very short and you can beat it in under a minute if you have any idea what you're doing. Just tell me if it's decent or what. Constructive criticism fuels me!

Now, I'm off to fall onto the floor a foot away from the bed.

EDIT: Fairly sure the map is just in the standard Doom format

Mediafire link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2c4o3ccuwmm0mxd/FirstMapEver_bymysistersbike.wad

Edited by mysistersbike

11 minutes ago, Voros said:

Port?
Level?
IWAD?

Dunno, I have no idea how to do this. All I know is I played with GZDOOM and Doom II. Does that answer your questions?

Check map format in builder of your choice and write format in first post. 

3 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Check map format in builder of your choice and write format in first post. 

How would I check that in Doom Builder 2?

6 minutes ago, mysistersbike said:

How would I check that in Doom Builder 2?

Easily. Drop map in builder and it should show in what format you did this. Even configuration settings can tell you map format. Check below, near corners too.

10 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Easily. Drop map in builder and it should show in what format you did this. Even configuration settings can tell you map format. Check below, near corners too.

Edited

So it's vanilla. Which port did you test the map?

6 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Why is everyone so cautious about testing the WAD?

It's necessary For a mapper to provide information Like that when releasing their map. 

Also, To prevent terrywads.

I tested it anyways. And...nothing. All the maps are the vanilla maps. Are you sure it was Doom II?

EDIT: Nothing in the Ultimate Doom either. At least I beat the Spider Mastermind from pistol start for the first time.

Edited by TootsyBowl

Alright, why map is in map00? It doesn't work in that way. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

You can assign a map to be MAP00 in Doom Builder 2? I didn't know that. Fortunately, using

changemap map00

in ZDoom ports should do it.

1 hour ago, Voros said:

You can assign a map to be MAP00 in Doom Builder 2? I didn't know that. Fortunately, using

changemap map00

in ZDoom ports should do it.

Thanks for the info. Anyways, the map:

Well, no denying it. It's a spiraling corridor separated into several monotextured sections, with monsters and decor peppered into various places. It definitely feels like you were just experimenting with the editor, "my first room", "my first monster encounter", "my first teleporter", etc.

Now to the gameplay. The beginning is the most difficult, facing down a large pack of shotgunners, chaingunners, and imps with only a shotgun and a handful of shells to complement your starting equipment. With some luck the imps will form a shield for you and turn on the zombies, thinning out the numbers quickly. However shotgun shells are at a premium, and the chaingunners present the biggest threat, with no armor being provided anywhere in the map. Once you've survived the first encounter, though, the gameplay becomes piss-easy, just shotgunning imps. Behind the first door, there is only a Super Shotgun. It would have been easier to just place it in the middle of the corridor, but I'll pass it off as experimenting with doors. After a darker section of the same corridor, you find a pile of corpses in front of a teleporter. Expecting a big fight, you hop through the gateway...

You are greeted with a small gaggle of imps and a Mancubus in a circular arena. Circlestrafe+M1=win. Curiously the ENDOOR texture acts as an exit switch.

Well, it's a first map. I won't expect too much. Once you've learned the ropes of your editor, put in a bit more thought and attention to detail and you can have a great map going.

Thanks everyone, sorry about all of the difficulty with making it work. I was really just learning the ropes, like TootsyBowl said. I'll have something far better done eventually. I really appreciate the criticism! <3