Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

Confinement Community Project. (Project Released!) (Boom Compatible!)

@riderr3

• I tested your map and it was a really fun map.
  • Nice idea of putting a mastermind as a turret (for obvious reasons like space). That said, I needed to dispatch her quickly.
  • Same thing goes for those monsters that were in those perpetual lifts and some other monster turrets that were well hidden behind transparent walls. 
  • The revenants were a critical objective due of being turrets. I had to take them out first. After that the map turned out to be easy but not for long.
  • The ambushes used for the keys and switches were fairly hard, especially for the PE's....those are a real pain in tight spaces.
  • Last part....that's the hardest part without a doubt if you're using other weapons. If you have the BFG, it'll be easy.
  • Berserk helped me a lot, some monsters were placed just to punch them to death...fun stuff. Same goes for the secrets, especially the soulsphere.
  • Overall, it was fun and nice map. A detailed map which can kill you quickly if you don't take out the essential monsters first like the ones working as turrets. Thumbs up.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wk1jsdwyr61incs/MaxSec.wad

First draft of MAP07. I played around with sound blocking lines and lighting effects to create a slower challenging map experience with a few puzzles along the way. One thing that I noticed is that occasionally monsters will escape from the floor crushers but this didn't seem to be too commonplace and might just be something wrong with collision code of prboom.

will post update here occasionally since I rarely posting on project thread. :D will push this project so I got time for studying new stuff in Doom. (like DECORATE and stuff)

building.PNG

building2.PNG

building3.PNG

building 4.PNG

@Bonfac a decent map, I have no complains, beside providing different difficulties (though it was no hard). I completed it for 8 minutes. A wise decision of using silent teleporter line when space is limited.

@Bonfac I will replace your map in the next update of the thread (I'll be doing it in the next day or two) and if you'd like I'll go in and fix the door in your map.

Quick FDA for the fixed version: 

I'd recommend adding a secret (or non-secret) way of telefragging the mastermind (if I didn't miss a way to do that). I think the YK section as a whole is undercooked. I expected the PE to be there to bait the player to move forward into a snare trap, otherwise it doesn't serve too much of a purpose given its placement and all the ammo around. I expected the YK trap to be a lot harsher, with many monsters advancing down the corridor to use the rockets on, but there were just a few monsters, and the mastermind isn't a threat at all because there's so much cover (you could afford to reduce the % of the barrier that shields the player from her). There's also a lot of health, so you can afford to be harsher: a closet behind the YK releasing some monsters, some monsters on the bridge, less cover from the MM. And to compensate the player can get the green armor before all that. 

The rest is okay, some decent minimalist close-quarters combat. More health than necessary, maybe. The monster behind the YK door can be a HK instead of a baron. 

Also, you should edit the first link too -- it's risky to have multiple versions available for download at once in different posts. The update can easily go missed (since nearly everyone updates the original post too), and you'll get feedback on an obsolete version. 

Edited by rdwpa

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

Quick FDA for the fixed version: 

I'd recommend adding a secret (or non-secret) way of telefragging the mastermind (if I didn't miss a way to do that). I think the YK section as a whole is undercooked. I expected the PE to be there to bait the player to move forward into a snare trap, otherwise it doesn't serve too much of a purpose given its placement and all the ammo around. I expected the YK trap to be a lot harsher, with many monsters advancing down the corridor to use the rockets on, but there were just a few monsters, and the mastermind isn't a threat at all because there's so much cover (you could afford to reduce the % of the barrier that shields the player from her). There's also a lot of health, so you can afford to be harsher: a closet behind the YK releasing some monsters, some monsters on the bridge, less cover from the MM. And to compensate the player can get the green armor before all that. 

The rest is okay, some decent minimalist close-quarters combat. More health than necessary, maybe. The monster behind the YK door can be a HK instead of a baron. 

Also, you should edit the first link too -- it's risky to have multiple versions available for download at once in different posts. The update can easily go missed (since nearly everyone updates the original post too), and you'll get feedback on an obsolete version. 

Given the amount of space i got for player to play around, its hard to actually think of something flashy for the ending of the map(Partly, because i ran out of it), also ill reduce the amount of cover, and i think there is will be only 1 way to kill mastermind. ill reduce ammount of health, and will try to place armor somewhere. Ill try to add secrets too.
On the second though, i could just solve all the problems by just enlarging my map to acceptable 1024x2048...

SPASITI.jpg

@Bonfac Just so you know, sizes up to 2048x2048 are acceptable. I'm apologise for not making that as clear as I really should have!

MAP IS DONE FOR TESTING!!

MAP03: Emerald Tower

Music: Sonata Arctica - Don't say a word (midimelody)

download

Screenshot from imgur (because I can't upload picture no more):

http://imgur.com/a/icLnY

somehow it said the link could not embed because there's no picture aAAAAaaAA

11 hours ago, R1ck said:

MAP IS DONE FOR TESTING!!

MAP03: Emerald Tower

Music: Sonata Arctica - Don't say a word (midimelody)

download

Screenshot from imgur (because I can't upload picture no more):

http://imgur.com/a/icLnY

somehow it said the link could not embed because there's no picture aAAAAaaAA

These dark triangular sectors on the ceiling look strange over the single crates. Try the flat bleeding trick: raise the ceiling height by a lot (512+ units) and leave the sidedefs untextured. You can also use ceiling brightness transfers in Boom (action 261, ceiling brightness to this brightness): to do that, use a linedef with that action bordering a sector with the brightness you want the ceiling to be changed to (you can draw an offmap sector for this as well), give it a tag, and then give the sectors that tag.

The revenant on this ledge can be knocked off over the side while still alive; monster-blocking lines would be useful there. 

All of the pop-up monsters on this map are so close to the triggers that raise the floors that the player, moving forward at a natural pace, will be touching them before they fully rise out of the ground. Monsters like the HK can get an unavoidable scratch in that way. To avoid this and make the monster pop up immediately, use action 19, W1 floor lower to highest floor. Even a turbo generalized action is far too slow at distances like these. Also, this HK's placement is questionable because it's possible to run into it if you drop off the bridge where the imp is. With infinite height, that'll be a scratch, and without it, the player can land on the HK's head and get stuck in the pit.

noted. Thanks for pointing that out. I followed your advice on both crates room and revenants bridge thing sections. I'm rebuilding the outside section where the player obtain shotgun as I writing this.

PS: I never happy on that place from the start haha. anywaym thanks again :D

Done fixing. looking for more fixing.

Edit: I changed the mapslot to map01 because I didn't noticed it changed its format to vanilla when I edit the map lump last time.

https://www.mediafire.com/?49fne5574l368tf

Edited by R1ck

Working on my map. Layout mostly there. Need to sort the gameplay out. Will hopefully get this out of the way soon.

Woot, because its so fun, I made an another map! 

Download: WC Vandals

1024x1024 playable area. Boom-format. Difficulties not included yet. Has a sauna. 

Screens:

Spoiler

Xj9XKio.png

6MBZ7fa.png

anisY8C.png

2w6yNoB.png

Edited by muumi

@muumi That looks...INCREDIBLE. Sure you dont want to make a whole megawad? =D Haha, I'll test it and let you know, and ill update your map to the list!

@muumiHoly crap this map is hard. I"m going to have to spend some time doing it. Ammo feels very tight at the start, almost a bit too low to the point where you'll end up having to punch out a revenant. But I mean, it looks good. I'll definitely be putting this in one of the later slots due to its difficulty.

Ya, berserk pack is here for a reason. :) Ill see if people has too much problems with ammo thought.

Later slot is fine. Level is probably on hard side of things..

33 minutes ago, muumi said:

Ya, berserk pack is here for a reason. :) Ill see if people has too much problems with ammo thought.

Later slot is fine. Level is probably on hard side of things..

I'll test your map just in case. :)

1 hour ago, muumi said:

Woot, because its so fun, I made an another map! 

Download: WC Vandals

This doesn't work in prBoom+. The second switch, the one you ride the lift up to, next to the YK door, doesn't do anything.

@muumi

• Holy shit...the map was really fun but really hard.
  • It took me almost 12 minutes in-game and 7 attempts to clear it.
  • The berserk was like the MVP of the map, I used the fist a lot.
  • The ambushes used for the keys surprised me once (meaning that I died once) but there are ways to escape from it and get to a secure place. 
  • I appreciate that you didn't add an archvile when you pick up the yellow key or else...things would have been nasty
  • Talking about archviles, you placed them in the right areas and I liked that.
  • The ending part.........oh boy. At least the player can shoot the BFG before the monsters can rise to deal major damage, bit by bit.
  • The building background was on point. Awesome scenery. Great job man.

6 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

This doesn't work in prBoom+. The second switch, the one you ride the lift up to, next to the YK door, doesn't do anything.

Really?. It worked for me but I used Zandronum. That switch raises some stairs for the next area where the blue key is...

13 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Weird, I did all testing with prboom+. Ill Check it out

I actually dont know. I dont really understand how the complevels work.. I have marked a line at the front of switch impassable for some reason. Does that prevent it from working in some complevels?

Oh I see. I added -complevel 9 to editor parameters and the slider door stopped working properly. I guess the voodoo doll crosses lines too fast to register all of them?

Okay, edited download link to point to a new version. Now map hopefully works in -complevel 9 too.