Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Why are vampires okay with moonlight?

Moonlight is technically still mostly sunlight, so how is it okay? Is it because its weaker? Does the moon change some property of the sunlight when it reflects it, which makes it safe somehow (not sure if possible physically)? Have any writers attempted to come up with a plausible explanation?

I'm guessing it's a weaker/safe version of sunlight. I bet most of the UV rays get absorbed by the moon too.

I need to do research to check this, but eh.

The sun wasn't originally meant to be fatal to vampires, they were just weaker in the daytime and unable to access most of their powers. See for example Bram Stoker's Dracula, where the titular character cavorts about London in the daytime freely, and only feeds by night.

Because its a myth. What do you want them to sleep 24/7? How are they threatening that way? Vampires hate garlic? Who likes the smell of it? Vampires have no reflection? Yeah depends on perspective like how the mirror is tilted. Vampires are pale? That was what rich people did all day was avoided the sun.

2 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Because they're written that way.

Vampires have a lot in common with Jessica Rabbit.

The moon itself is the subject of quite a bit of myth, as well. And it's very important in the traditional werewolf legend.

13 hours ago, Quasar said:

The sun wasn't originally meant to be fatal to vampires, they were just weaker in the daytime and unable to access most of their powers. See for example Bram Stoker's Dracula, where the titular character cavorts about London in the daytime freely, and only feeds by night.

Now i'm thinking about it, in the Touhou games franchise there's two characters that are vampires (Remillia and Flandre Scarlet) that aren't affected by sun burning until they have parasols or a little of shadows covering them to prevent sunburn, from the info i have according to fanfics and a little bit of game lore knowledge i have...

Back on topic, is maybe because the UV lighting is pretty weak at night... or most simply, they are just fictional characters.

13 hours ago, geo said:

Because its a myth.

There's some truth in it. So called "Moon Children" are born with a rare skin disease that results in severe sunburn after minimal exposure to sunlight.

The damaging component isn't the light, it's the ultraviolet radiation. Moonlight contains very little of that.

13 hours ago, Quasar said:

Correct. Dracula is pretty much a male variant of Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla and she was also unaffected by sunlight. She used daytime to befriend (if you catch my drift) young women that she revisited by night to feed on their blood. I have not read The Vampyre, which predates both, but I assume it plays upon similar themes. The thrill of those 19th century stories was in mixing sexual corruption with death, so obviously the corrupter's main weakness was the holy and pure.

I think the daylight allergy was introduced by Nosferatu, at least into the "mainstream". The 1920's b&w movie was a Dracula knockoff after they failed to license the name, but they also made some important changes to the entire concept. First and foremost, Nosferatu is not a seductive sexual predator that corrupts the pure, he's an ugly monster with a hypnovision that assaults anything that bleeds. I can only wonder whether that was meant to bypass censorship of overt sexual themes, or to downplay the angle where chastity and religious fervor is needed to win.

Fast forward to modern age: sex sells, so we get attractive descendants of Dracula and Carmilla, but religious fervor and chastity is lame, so we gotta add Nosferatu's sunlight weakness. It's an unbalanced combination, but I guess we still accept it on a subliminal level, because it draws from established vampire stories and who cares anyway. I mean, according to folklore vampires can't cross bodies of running water and you should be cutting the vamp's head off and driving an aspen stake through its heart, because Christ's cross was made of aspen wood, but who has time for that? There are fifty vampires jumping across the bridge, I will paralyze them with this cross I made from two sewage pipes and you kung-fu with those two aluminium tent spikes while the third guy fires the holy water grenade launcher. Oh, the vampires are anti-heroes? Yeah, let me give Leo DiCaprio a bit of my own blood.

Then you've got JoJo vampires which go full body horror, and can fire scalding spinal fluid out of their eyes or strangle people with their veins.

Depends on the vampires at hand. I'd take vampires that burn in sunlight over ones that sparkle in it and undress whenever thy are under it.

It's analogous to how Gorgons are safe to see in a mirror, even though looking at them directly would turn you to stone.