Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elmle

SHRILK - A 90s Inspired Wad

The 90s are back, with a vengeance!

SHRILK.zip

This wad features 8 maps designed for speedrunning, but they also work casually.

Imagine a speedrunners obstacle course disguised in normal looking levels.

Made for complevel 9, tested in prboom+.

I should mention: This is kinda supposed to be played as an episode but pistol starts are ok too.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom10.png.56ce2cfdeb707fa6254f41c641116075.pngdoom11.png.0d48f76996c9444b6f7bbb15e7238dab.pngdoom12.png.7f6509c0d3abe0ab83d5cf7a691f61bf.pngdoom13.png.55ca97ae87b00f8b6ebb83c7ad42bca3.png

Edited by elmle

this made me drink actual shrilk and i immediately began vomiting blood do not play 0/5

Spoiler

paid for and sponsored by https://www.twitch.tv/elmle

nevermind he called me a furry

Edited by bonnie

Well, these maps look short and simple enough.  I'll have to give 'em a quick play sometime later!

I had so much fun playing this, so thank you. I really liked some of the design features.

Spoiler

I was caught by surprise by the berserk room, but that it was fun, well executed :)

I'm so cheesed at how I died though. I'm gonna blame it on demo recording because I hate the mouse movement ;)

Hopefully the demo helps so you can see what proclivities I had.

SHRILK-FDA.zip

The texture errors, they hurt my soul.

This sure was interesting to watch!

@Benjogami That red key, so close yet so far.

Spoiler

You even tried jumping to where it was, but you did it from the wrong spot!

Map03 is confusing and big I know, I could see the struggle.

@TacoTurtle Interestingly you actually used the chainsaw (even when you had so many unused rockets ;_;).

Were you using cl9?(is that even stored in demos?) Because on map03 a thing was supposed to happen that didn't and I find it unlikely that you skipped a linedef twice.

Also what a way to die.

I was told I may have gone overboard with soulspheres but oh well, it wasn't meant to be a super difficult wad anyway.

I could watch these all day...

prboom-plus\prboom-plus.exe -file SHRILK.wad complevel 9 -skill 4 -record FDA

Seems I accidently deleted the - in the launch options... woops.

I'm gonna resume playing the other maps when I got some time, I'll chuck up a demo again.

@TacoTurtle Wow. I've never seen the cyber on map6 actually come inside the building, I thought I blocked that off!

Spoiler

It was supposed to be a garden maze cyber battle!

There seemed to be some ammo problems on map5, I guess it might depend on where you go first.

Spoiler

You were shooting at the last switch at the cage but enemies got in the way, Rip.

As for map7, y-you don't get second tries on fda's do you?

Also I noticed there is a potential softlock that can happen on this level if you go a certain way, I should probably fix some things and upload a new version.

Not much to say about map8. I put a little bit of a hint to what you're supposed to do, maybe it wasn't enough(or maybe it was your tired/drunkenness?).

@loveless Please do post them, also make sure to download the version linked here since the one I sent you is a bit old(I don't think the one you have has map8).

Spoiler

I have to admit I did like being locked out of the pre-cage battle, I wanted to go back and explore stuff, but nope, only one avenue to go. Surprise surprise I got trapped. I realised too late that I should have quelled down the hitscanners.

I'm gonna try doing them with savestates now, from map 1 onwards, so if there's anything I find that is a bug or is just plain outright broken I will let you know :)

If you want I can do another attempt at map7 if that helps you out :)