Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UglyStru

What keeps people hooked on Overwatch?

I think Overwatch is a great game. The engine is solid, the netcode is beautiful, the balance is nearly pristine, the gameplay is smooth, the graphics are beautiful, and last but not least....waifus. BUT, I find myself playing one or two games before getting bored and turning it off. I don't feel like I'm playing for any purpose.

I played the absolute HELL out of some of the CoDs. Between variety of loadouts, prestiges, grinding challenges, cosmetics, titles, emblems, etc. I could play CoD for hours on end. But what is there to really go for in Overwatch? Especially if you're playing solo, it just isn't fun running the same exact loadouts as everyone else and feeling like you aren't getting any redemption for your performance. This is the same reason why I got bored of Hearthstone real quick (only difference was Hearthstone had tons of deck variety).

Does anybody else feel this way? If not, what is keeping you hooked on it? 

The balance is awful imo, I played the game a lot, but I didn't since the anniversary event. Because between events and big patches, i've become bored over the time, the development is so slow compared to their other games. So I understand a bit what you feel, and of course, it's way more fun when not playing alone. But anyway, i'm still excited when new content is released, even if it takes way too much time.

My friends played it when it was released. Two of them had theories. One is that it has people paid to play the game to keep others invested and make it relevant. I dismiss that as a crackpot theory. The second theory holds more water... the players have crushes on the characters.

Edited by geo

or it's fun but hey don't me get in the way of your alex-jonesing 

1 hour ago, stru said:

Especially if you're playing solo, it just isn't fun running the same exact loadouts as everyone else and feeling like you aren't getting any redemption for your performance.

The "I-must-win-every-match-because-I-have-delusions-of-ESPORTZ-grandeur" crowd has infested Overwatch to an insane degree. All I can stand is Quick Play now and that's pretty much become training wheels for Ranked. 

I think I can answer, but first let me explain something.

Some time ago, Overwatch was free for a weekend and I had to try it, because I was curious at how the game played and how it ran on my pc. I could run it on 20 fps, so it wasn't that good of an experience for me, on the technical side of things (not the game's fault though).

Now for the actual game, even with that terrible a pc performance, I could still get kills and have fun (I played mostly Pharah). And that shows one thing. The game is easy to enter its world as a new player (and it might be harder to master, as a professional). That alone makes it interesting for me. I know, that even if I play for my first time, I will surely be somewhere in the middle of the player base and not at the bottom, thanks to my aiming skills I acquired all these years that passed. It is a more casual game and that appeals to everybody, at some point in their lives. For an example, I play Doom sometimes every week and many other games, but there are a few times when I need something really casual. And here comes Overwatch. It is not Quake or CS. I don't need to practice rocket jumping or weapon spray patterns. I can just enter the game immediately and have fun. 

At least all of this is what I think about Overwatch. And it might also be the second theory mentioned by geo, for a few of the players worldwide.

Don't really like OW. I played it just for social reasons, but I gave up quite some time ago. Not to mention I always play Pharah because of... Rocket Launcher...

What keeps people hooked on POE (eventhough none of the following can be applied to it)?

5 hours ago, stru said:

I think Overwatch is a great game. The engine is solid, the netcode is beautiful, the balance is nearly pristine, the gameplay is smooth, the graphics are beautiful

I mean, I played the hell out of POE when I was speedrunning it... But...

5 hours ago, stru said:

But what is there to really go for in Overwatch? Especially if you're playing solo, it just isn't fun running the same exact loadouts as everyone else and feeling like you aren't getting any redemption for your performance.

It just isn't fun running shaped strand-maps all day long to level to 100 like the rest of the racers using an OP-meta-build, and kiss the league goodbye when done.

See what I did there? ;-)

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

I'd say because it's easy to get into, you can play how you want (e-sportz minded or filthy casual) and a lot of players enjoy playing as their waifu.

I enjoy it, generally there's enough fun possibilities to mess around with to make enjoyable matches for me. I'm only level 190 or something, close to 200 hours played, but that may be the most I've ever played an online game. Though they didn't count it back in the Quake/Half-Life 1 days etc.

That said, I play it a bit less lately, it's tough to stay interesting nonstop in an online game for me for more than a year or so at a time I think. But it's always fun coming back to a game a bit later.

49 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

how else are you supposed to draw out unsuspecting aliens into your line of fire?

(Picture)

oh wait...

Hahaha, this cracks me up. Even though OW has accuracy penalty, it feels good ;P  However in XCOM 1, you can overkill an enemy, which is not that cool.

Overwatch is an overrated mediocre game that is only popular because it's another easy to pick up multiplayer shooter, and it's by blizzard. I hope and pray to the lord and destroyer Lucifer that this game will eventually permanently die.

I guess people stay hooked on Overwatch for the same reason they stay hooked on WoW. It's a mind game thing that Blizzard is great at pulling. I've never been a huge fan of WoW and I only really like Diablo 3, but not enough to be hooked on it. So naturally, I'm not interested in Overwatch even though it's an FPS. It's also multiplayer centric, which I am not a fan of anymore. However, I do still enjoy certain games online even if I haven't played them in forever. I've always liked CoD4 multiplayer back on Xbox before it was overrun with hackers. Hopefully MWR will become standalone at the end of this month so I can finally revisit it.

I'm around level 300, so I'v put some time into it. Short answer, some of the heros are capable of gameplay you simply cannot find in other games. It has a low Floor and high ceiling, as the game mechanics are actually pretty deep. I dislike the 6v6 formats for the most part because unless the other team is partially retarded, it's very difficult to solo carry. I personally was very fond of the 3v3 and 1v1 formats.

I sold my battle.net account right after I got myself a quake champion beta key. 

It's a well made (don't care what anyone says otherwise) team/social oriented game with a natural competitive nature in it that will piss you the fuck off because if you ever play without a full team of friends, the randoms will act idiotically and always, ALWAYS pick the ninja or bow guy and not be good with either.

The only thing negative I can say about the game itself is the lack of content; its slowly getting more modes and maps, but I usually stay away from multiplayer focused games, especially if there's less than 10 maps to play in.

I don't even like most Blizzard games. The explanations for overall dismissal of people liking the game don't make sense to me. It's just a game you may not happen to like, that other people like. We're all hardcore on here, it's a Doom forum, but some of us find merit in the game. I think the game is something special and deserves it's success.

Edited by PsychoGoatee

5 hours ago, Nevander said:

I've always liked CoD4 multiplayer back on Xbox before it was overrun with hackers. Hopefully MWR will become standalone at the end of this month so I can finally revisit it.

MWR was released standalone on PS4 last month. Changes includes microtransactions, supply drops, grinding for new weapons, community game modes like Prop Hunt, and the remastered map pack costing more than the original. Plus the original stuff the MP community bitched about like M16 Stopping Power and 3x Frags. Read all you can find about MWR before deciding if you want to buy it.

6 hours ago, nxGangGirl said:

Overwatch is an overrated mediocre game that is only popular because it's another easy to pick up multiplayer shooter, and it's by blizzard. I hope and pray to the lord and destroyer Lucifer that this game will eventually permanently die.

That's either a helluva lot of spite, or a dismissal of a helluva lot of people as sub-human degenerates, neither of which is a particularly nice path to go down.

39 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

That's either a helluva lot of spite, or a dismissal of a helluva lot of people as sub-human degenerates, neither of which is a particularly nice path to go down.

Overwatch is like Angry Birds. It has its following, but for those of us that don't like the game it feels exactly like nxGangGirl expresses it. Nobody ever said this feeling was fair (to the game), but it sure is genuine. May Overwatch burn in hell. ;)

11 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

This game isn't a perfect 10 / 10 for me? Fuck everyone who worked on it and plays it, then! It should be wiped from existence - I know there's no true problem with the game for something that extreme, but nobody should be able to have fun with something I don't have fun with!

this sure is a healthy and not at all completely sociopathic reaction to something you don't enjoy

Overwatch is fun. Particularly enjoy playing Reaper, Pharah, Mei, and Symmetra. But I tend to play Team Fortress 2 more, just because its what I'm used to, and has more variety in maps.

@Arctangent: You're taking this all too serious.

If you really want to know why I don't like Overwatch, then it is because the way multiplayer setup works. To me, half the fun of a multiplayer game is to play with players that happens to join the same server (no, not my local friends list). The way modern Blizzard games work everyone I meet might as well be a bot. It is tailored against a completely different audience, just like Angry Birds is. As for the gameplay itself, I didn't play it enough to give it a fair judgement.

Anyhow, if you enjoy Overwatch no hard feelings from me. :)

26 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

@Arctangent: You're taking this all too serious.

Poe's law. Which, yes, I know specifically says a winking smile is one of the ways to tell something is satire, but it was written in a time with a winking smile didn't have quite the association with smug assholes trying to dismiss others.

It really doesn't help when you say you're being genuine, either.

8 hours ago, Nevander said:

for the same reason they stay hooked on WoW.

People stay hooked on WoW because of something called the "sunken costs fallacy". They have invested time, money and effort on their characters. The 'progression' in tiers means that your latest top notch gear and dungeon strategies become dated or even obsolete the moment the next tier patch is released. Meaning, you have to play to keep up or you will lose your investment done so far and end up like a scrub nobody wants to play with. Plus, there's your guild who insists on filling their raid rosters with active members only.

With WoW, it's all or nothing. This is a completely different situation as most multiplayer games, as players get to play with the same gear the moment they enter the game. Unlock mechanisms are the company's attempt to add the same kind of hooks.

9 hours ago, R1ck said:

I sold my battle.net account right after I got myself a quake champion beta key. 

You're doing god's work, son.