Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Best WADs from the last 1-2 years to take on vacation...

I'm (shamefully) out of the loop on the good work that's doubtless been released these past few years.

I'm going somewhere for a week where I'll only have a really old machine of mine with, wait for it... an Athlon XP and a Radeon 9800 Pro. Yep, it's the best of 2003. A bit of dooming on a 4:3 monitor and very little internet, might actually be quite cathartic. Almost looking forward to it.

So looking for anything that'll run in zdoom adequately on that hardware, released recently. Ideally mapsets, longer the better.

Hit me with your recommendations and I'll put them on a USB. Thanking you...

I'm not sure what your specific tastes are in Doom, but here's a variety of sets that should run on less powerful machines, many of which I like.

Estranged (32 maps)

Return to Hadron E1 and Return to Hadron E2 (9 maps apiece, Doom 1)

Mutiny (16 maps)

TNT: Revilution (32 maps, TNT)

BTSX E1, which has been "finalized" (23 non-hub maps)

50 Monsters (32 maps)

Swift Death (32 maps)

3 Heures d'agonie 3 (32 maps)

No End in Sight (38 maps, Doom 1)

Erkattäññe (11 maps)

Mano Laikas (32 maps)

Vispire (17 maps)

50 Shades of Graytall, THT: Threnody, Sunlust, Valiant, Ancient Aliens, and Bloodstain each have at least one or two maps that won't perform too well, but I don't feel like not mentioning them.

A week, eh? Well, all of that will keep you busy even if your vacation sees you stranded on a desert island for a good length of time.

Edited by rdwpa

Memento Mori 1 and 2 , Were both released on 1996 play them they are some of the best wads you'll encounter

Also both Hell Revealed 1 and 2 Are excellent aswell

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

I'm not sure what your specific tastes are in Doom, but here's a variety of sets that should run on less powerful machines, many of which I like.

Estranged (32 maps)

Mutiny (16 maps)

50 Monsters (32 maps)

Swift Death (32 maps)

Erkattäññe (11 maps)

Mano Laikas (32 maps)

Vispire (17 maps)

50 Shades of Graytall, THT: Threnody, Sunlust, Valiant, Ancient Aliens, and Bloodstain each have at least one or two maps that won't perform too well, but I don't feel like not mentioning them.

A week, eh? Well, all of that will keep you busy even if your vacation sees you stranded on a desert island for a good length of time.

It's like you're trying to kill this poor fellow on vacation!  

Just kidding, Swift Death is fantastic.

Valiant should be okay to run as well in most, if not all cases.

Ancient aliens should work fine for the most part, with a few exceptions

I mean, when in doubt, grab a bunch of cacoward winners and see what suits your tastes ;-)

Japaneese Community Project hasn't been mentioned yet.

Echelon may fit your needs though I don't have personal experience with it.

(may edit in more if I think of any  I haven't been on top of recent releases either)

50 Shades of Graytall is more like a piece of abstract art than a wholesome DooM experience IMO, it's a bit hit or miss.. otherwise that's a good list.

+1 for No End in Sight. :)

Not exactly Doom (total conversions), but if you want something silly and relaxing, Shadow Of The Wool Ball and the sequel, Rise Of The Wool Ball.

Also, if you don't mind unusual gameplay, Absolutely Killed.

Edited by Albertoni

9 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Estranged (32 maps)

Mutiny (16 maps)

50 Monsters (32 maps)

Swift Death (32 maps)

Erkattäññe (11 maps)

Mano Laikas (32 maps)

Vispire (17 maps)

I really appreciate you putting the time in to that list, including the links - thank you. Exactly what I was looking for, and great to see some of my favourite mappers represented including Chris Lutz, probably my favourite Doom 1 mapper period, and he's put in to another TUD 4 episode megawad? Wow. Tough to know where to start! I now have 173MB of zips on my USB stick. I'd better book an extra week off :)

Had to go fishing as many of the mirrors seem to be down this morning, but thank goodness for mancubus.net (Manc, wherever you are, I love you man). Interestingly, from having to do a manual search on /idgames, I see the search function doesn't seem to like two words - I had no results with TNT Revilution and 50 Monsters, but they turned up under TNT and 50 respectively. Ling?

I have noted all the other suggestions too, thanks... don't stop!

6 hours ago, grouchbag said:

I like your avatar Pritch.Please excuse the interruption.

Heh, thanks. It's one of the fishes which go a loooong way back on these forums. It wasn't one of the first though, just followed the trend. I made the original bmp but IIRC community member and contributor DSM made this much funkier and more colourful gif for me. It looked better at 36x36 though :P