Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Most interesting Dehacked monsters you have seen?

This is a thread to discuss about interesting Dehacked monsters, I am considering creating a "bestiary" mod. The first monster I have added is the Chainsaw Zombie, which I saw in one of JPL's Wad Wednesday random pwads. I found it in Realm667's bestiary and I'm adapting it. It drops a Chainsaw :D

Second one I am considering is the rocket-launcher marine that I saw in Obituary, the crazy suicidal bastard! Third one I am thinking about is a suicide bomber, like the Serious Sam ones without the funny sound.

Any  interesting stuff people have seen?

Killer Croc from Batman Doom... I don't even know how he's able to pick up rocks from the ground and throw them at you O_o

A number of Hacx's enemies were cool, such as the Incubus/Monstruct, ICE and my favourite, Phage.

It's a bit ironic how the Thorn Thing resembles and basically functions the same as Quake's Vore and the Mechamaniac as Armagon from Scourge of Armagon, but that's another topic entirely.

In Valiant flying things that sometimes spawn from spiders were a bit funny. You kill a spider, turn around to proceed further, then something suddenly attacks you. I never got used to it.

1 hour ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Killer Croc from Batman Doom... I don't even know how he's able to pick up rocks from the ground and throw them at you O_o

Killer Croc has VileChase in his walking frames so he is looking for corpses. The boulders are corpse replacements, so he goes near them, then does a Cacodemon attack, where the Caco projectile is replaced with a boulder :D

He also has a Melee attack (the Revenant's)

You can see the Killer Croc here at 10:15

That Imp that shoots rocket that I saw when I was window shopping at realm667

*Walks by*

Well hello there.

Interestingly enough I had an idea for a DeHackEd bestiary some years ago: it never amounted to an awful lot, but I still have some enemies loitering around that I made. I can post a few if you like. And of course there's my published wads and the various community projects dotted around that I've made bosses for, I could probably harp on about those for ages. :P

I want to create a Dehacked Bestiary without touching the original monsters, so mappers can put the now Thing IDs in their maps if they want, when they want. So no replacements. That's only possible with the extra Dehacked states in Doom Retro and Crispy Doom (hopefully all ports in the future), so I am just taking my SMOOTHED mod and adding new monsters and stuff.

The Chainsaw Zombie is ready and *loudly* chainsawing, I think next I will create a very trigger-happy pistol Zombieman with some armor based on some resources in the Smooth Doom mod.

Yeah, I go the vanilla route more often than not: I tend to find workarounds when I can, such as using monster corpses as extra enemies and the like. It's good fun to see what you can get away with.

The nurse imp i've seen many times on the ZDaemon FNF sessions, but i'm not sure if it uses decorate or Dehacked, but it's a nice monster.

More doable since there's already a Dehacked lumps for them (or it could be done):

- Afrit (the flying orange baron, it replaces commander keen in Scythe 2)

- Super imp from obituary (that one that shoots baron fireballs)

- Stone Imp / Demon

- The giant cyberdemon with two rocket launchers from All hell is breaking loose

- The BFG green caco from that coop wad everybody plays on zdaemon some year ago, I don't remember the name, sorry... coopbuildlm

Edited by Walter confetti

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

In Valiant flying things that sometimes spawn from spiders were a bit funny. You kill a spider, turn around to proceed further, then something suddenly attacks you. I never got used to it.

heh. i wished final doom had this, because it seemed like a natural extension of the arachnotrons. you shoot them out of their power armor, sometimes they get away and you have to deal with them further.

Flaming barons/hell knights or whatever they're called...

cyberdemon_vs_bruiser_demon_by_yuraofthe

All Hell is Breaking Loose takes the cake, easily. The arachnotron-riding two-headed chaingunner fires continuously even after its target moves out of range or dies. It's also an arachnotron-riding two-headed chaingunner.

t81PrPb.gif

The pain elemental replacement is a helicopter. It spawns plasma marines that hop up and down very high and quickly. It's nothing short of a work of genius.

11 hours ago, Voros said:

A number of Hacx's enemies were cool, such as the Incubus/Monstruct, ICE and my favourite, Phage.

It's a bit ironic how the Thorn Thing resembles and basically functions the same as Quake's Vore and the Mechamaniac as Armagon from Scourge of Armagon, but that's another topic entirely.

I had forgotten about the Thorn Thing, I love the way it moves. And it seems that they are using 1-duration Tracer code pointers in the fireball code to make sure the missiles are always homing unlike the default 50/50, pretty cool, I didn't know you could do that.

@rdwpa

Duuuude, wtf is that :D

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

The pain elemental replacement is a helicopter. It spawns plasma marines that hop up and down very high and quickly.

That hopping is a result of user error due to improper source port choice and/or settings.

I love custom monsters. Always found this thing really neat.

hangman.png

Hangs on ceilings and spits at ya. Pretty sure I found it on Realm667 but I can't be certain.

As far as DEHACKED monsters go, I think the only one that really stood out to me was the Afrit and Evil Marine from Scythe 2.  Those were fun to deal with.

All Hell Is Breaking Loose is the first mod I ever played with heavy dehacked work (though I had played some ZD mods with DECORATE work before it, I really only got into playing custom stuff like a decade after doom was released) and it really stood out to me, and it still stands out as my favorite due to the sheer ridiculous nature of it. I even remember ripping off the helicopter in one of the terrible maps I made when I was a kid, heh.

So now I have 2 new enemies fully finished, the Chainsaw Trooper, which has 30 health (same as the Sergeant), chases you while revving the chainsaw and rips you if he gets close, drops a Chainsaw on death too.

bnvKkGS.gif

Second enemy is the Commando Trooper, he has 60 health (same as the Imp) and fires his rifle, usually in bursts. This is a 146-sprite enemy I found in Smooth Doom, he has 3 different deaths, not counting the XDeath. He drops a normal clip on death (not a half-clip like the basic Trooper)

giphy.gif

I added the Lord of Heresy from realm667, he is a little bit faster Baron of Hell that shoots 2 or 3 times instead of just once and he drops a (rotating, floating, fullbright) yellow skull key on death! (I got those sprites from CeeJay's Doom4Ever mod, I recommend that, it is a mod for 3DGE)

giphy.gif

The original yellow key is untouched of course. Next up, I will add the Rocket Trooper, as seen in Obituary :D

On 7/15/2017 at 6:10 AM, VGA said:

Killer Croc has VileChase in his walking frames so he is looking for corpses. The boulders are corpse replacements, so he goes near them, then does a Cacodemon attack, where the Caco projectile is replaced with a boulder :D

He also has a Melee attack (the Revenant's)

You can see the Killer Croc here at 10:15

That is one beautifully devious hack.

Doom should have had a chainsaw zombie right from the beginning. Can I have a standalone WAD for that enemy alone?

UAC Ultra had an SS replacement (modified Maulotaur mini-boss monster) and the final boss was also done entirely with DeHackEd though I forgot what it looks like or what it did but it was pretty trippy.

On 16/7/2017 at 11:08 AM, VGA said:

So now I have 2 new enemies fully finished, the Chainsaw Trooper, which has 30 health (same as the Sergeant), chases you while revving the chainsaw and rips you if he gets close, drops a Chainsaw on death too.

Wouldn't it be better if they don't drop chainsaws on death? Imagine placing a lot of those troopers, killing them and you have a lot of chainsaws laying there you can't obtain because you already have one. Unless you think of placing only one per map. 

3 hours ago, Voros said:

Doom should have had a chainsaw zombie right from the beginning. Can I have a standalone WAD for that enemy alone?

Due to the way Dehacked/Whacked works, it would be a bit of a chore to implement him in a standalone wad. I would have to define the states all over again, using MBF states, so it works in all ports etc.

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

UAC Ultra had an SS replacement (modified Maulotaur mini-boss monster) and the final boss was also done entirely with DeHackEd though I forgot what it looks like or what it did but it was pretty trippy.

Oh, yeah, I should take a look at that.

3 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

That is one beautifully devious hack.

It is very smart but the problem is that it destroys the Archvile's functionality, so I can't replicate this in my project, that aims to keep the vanilla bestiary and items intact while adding new stuff.

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Wouldn't it be better if they don't drop chainsaws on death? Imagine placing a lot of those troopers, killing them and you have a lot of chainsaws laying there you can't obtain because you already have one. Unless you think of placing only one per map. 

I have been thinking about this, too. I think I will create another variation of this enemy that doesn't drop anything. So the mapper can put on the map a group of Chainsaw Zombies, but only one of them will drop the Chainsaw!

On 7/15/2017 at 8:42 AM, VGA said:

I want to create a Dehacked Bestiary without touching the original monsters, so mappers can put the now Thing IDs in their maps if they want, when they want. So no replacements. That's only possible with the extra Dehacked states in Doom Retro and Crispy Doom (hopefully all ports in the future), so I am just taking my SMOOTHED mod and adding new monsters and stuff.

I am going to be pushing for these extra states being everywhere - it's long overdue, and it's an easily correctable, silly limitation. Do you know if those ports also added new sound slots? (cause that's going to be needed as well.) My other immediate goal is to add a VERY SMALL set of generalized action pointers to complement those added by MBF (you're using the MBF code pointers, right? Don't forget them - they add good functionality that'd be hard to find otherwise). Please feel free to let me know of any situations where you could use a code pointer that doesn't yet exist.

I am excited to see what you come up with. I've wanted to do this (or see it done) for a long time. Good luck!

Thanks, I will implement a couple more monsters and will create a thread to post the mod. New/Blank sounds have not been added. That should be a miniscule effort.

As for code pointers, I am using everything, including the new MBF ones. By far (FAR!) the most crippling omission is a generalised projectile code pointer that can take as parameter a dehacked ID. So new projectiles can be defined. And another parameter to add an angle, so that it isn't fired straight towards the player. This single addition really would be a game changer for creating new interesting monsters and not reskins or canibalising the vanilla ones.

One of the pointers that Eternity added is MissileAttack, it looks good.

https://www.doomworld.com/eternity/engine/codeptrs.html