Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoctorBFG9000

How do u make custom monsters like on realm667?

I made some sprites for a monster, I was wondering how I could get it into game as a new monster. I want to use the lost soul for the base of the monster. And I want to give the monster my own sprites. How can I do that? Please help.

13 hours ago, Albertoni said:

First understand this:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/New_User's_Guide_to_editing_with_DECORATE

Once you do that, this has pretty much the rest you'll need:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_monsters_or_other_complex_items

Finally, after you think you're understanding what you're seeing, modify this:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:LostSoul

Do they have to replace the armor bonus? Or can you just remove that code so it doesn't replace anything.

Using decorate means that you can create an entirely new entity that doesn't replace anything. 

4 hours ago, RokkiDoctor65 said:

Also, how do I add sprites to my monster?

Look in my first link, when they add this to the definition:

states
  {
  Pain:
    POSS E 10 A_FaceTarget
    POSS F 8 A_PosAttack
    POSS E 8
    goto See
  }

POSS is the name of the sprite, E and F are the frames and 10 and 8 are how long to hold the animation like that.

So, those graphics are saved in the WAD as POSSE# and POSSF#, where # is the rotation. To add your sprites, just find a name that isn't used and follow that format.

Here's a fancier explanation, from the wiki:

Each Doom Thing has a four-character sprite prefix defined for it, and all of its graphics are named beginning with this. The fifth character of a sprite graphic name gives the animation frame ordinal, starting at A and proceeding through the alphabet.

The sixth character of a sprite graphic name gives the rotation or rot. If it is 0, the graphic is used for all viewing angles. Otherwise, eight graphics, with sixth character ranging from 1 to 8, must be defined. The graphic 1 is used to draw a thing looking head-on; 2 through 8 are used as the thing is rotated in 45-degree steps clockwise (as viewed from above).

18 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Look in my first link, when they add this to the definition:

states
  {
  Pain:
    POSS E 10 A_FaceTarget
    POSS F 8 A_PosAttack
    POSS E 8
    goto See
  }

POSS is the name of the sprite, E and F are the frames and 10 and 8 are how long to hold the animation like that.

So, those graphics are saved in the WAD as POSSE# and POSSF#, where # is the rotation. To add your sprites, just find a name that isn't used and follow that format.

Here's a fancier explanation, from the wiki:

Each Doom Thing has a four-character sprite prefix defined for it, and all of its graphics are named beginning with this. The fifth character of a sprite graphic name gives the animation frame ordinal, starting at A and proceeding through the alphabet.

The sixth character of a sprite graphic name gives the rotation or rot. If it is 0, the graphic is used for all viewing angles. Otherwise, eight graphics, with sixth character ranging from 1 to 8, must be defined. The graphic 1 is used to draw a thing looking head-on; 2 through 8 are used as the thing is rotated in 45-degree steps clockwise (as viewed from above).

I've managed to rename them to my sprites. But sadly, the sprites are not showing up in the game. They seem to be invisible. I can shoot the monster and it can kill me. But I can't see the sprites at all. Please tell me how to fix. And in slade the sprites are graphic (doom) and the offset is okay. I called one of my sprites DEMBA . The last number of them is like the alphabet. http://i.imgur.com/WK8QLKW.png

Don't mind the stupid wad names. :P

1 minute ago, RokkiDoctor65 said:

I've managed to rename them to my sprites. But sadly, the sprites are not showing up in the game. They seem to be invisible. I can shoot the monster and it can kill me. But I can't see the sprites at all. Please tell me how to fix. And in slade the sprites are graphic (doom) and the offset is okay. I called one of my sprites DEMBA . The last number of them is like the alphabet. http://i.imgur.com/WK8QLKW.png

Read this again:

You need to add a 0 to the end of all of those names.

2 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Read this again:

You need to add a 0 to the end of all of those names.

It works now, But there's some blue stuff still left on the sprite. And the entire sprite itself is kind of transparent.

5 minutes ago, RokkiDoctor65 said:

It works now, But there's some blue stuff still left on the sprite. And the entire sprite itself is kind of transparent.

That's how the image you provided looks, yes. Are they different in-game? Send a screenshot if possible.

Maybe those colors aren't transparent as you thought? I really don't know, I think you painted them blue instead of the transparent color.

Also, the lost soul is a bit transparent, so by inheriting from it, you get the transparency along. See here: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:LostSoul

See where it says: "RenderStyle SoulTrans" ? Add that line in a similar position on your monster, but change it to "RenderStyle Normal".

3 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Maybe those colors aren't transparent as you thought? I really don't know, I think you painted them blue instead of the transparent color.

Also, the lost soul is a bit transparent, so by inheriting from it, you get the transparency along. See here: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:LostSoul

See where it says: "RenderStyle SoulTrans" ? Add that line in a similar position on your monster, but change it to "RenderStyle Normal".

Is there any way you can edit a sprite in slade? So I can delete the little blue pixels.

Actually, you can reconvert the graphics in SLADE and select the blue color you have in the image to be turned transparent.

What image editor are you using? If MSPaint, I'd suggest going with Paint.NET instead, makes life much easier.

11 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Actually, you can reconvert the graphics in SLADE and select the blue color you have in the image to be turned transparent.

What image editor are you using? If MSPaint, I'd suggest going with Paint.NET instead, makes life much easier.

I am using Paint.NET. 

How exactly do I select the blue in slade? I try to erase but nothing happens. :(

Edited by RokkiDoctor65

Well, since you're already using Paint.NET, it might be better at this point to manually delete all of the blue shades from the individual frames. Just use the wand selection tool, set the tolerance to something reasonably high but low enough that it captures all possible blue colors but doesn't highlight the stuff you want to be seen. Probably somewhere around 20%-40%, then do shift+left click on the blue color you want deleted, and hit the delete key.