Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koros

WHat happened to "Post Hell" ?

I miss it. Don't get me wrong. I actually like the sites new layout. (Not that I didn't mind the old one) But I kinda miss looking at all the retarded shit I would read in post hell. Any chance on it ever making a comeback?

*edit* did what I should have done and searched post hell and kinda got my answer..... But still. You should definitely bring that shit back. My memories of there are short and few and it needs to make a comeback. I don't even care if this post makes it first in post hell.

It has migrated to the public sector, hence only government workers can acces it.

Whenever I search up something about Post Hell for if I get the chance to see what happened to it, I usually find the answer saying that Post Hell helped with keeping new users behaved but it had to be removed when people started intentionally making terrible threads just to get into Post Hell.

I wish at the very least it could be made visible again. I never did see what happened in that child abuse thread after I posted.

47 minutes ago, Idiotinforntofadesk said:

I usually find the answer saying that Post Hell helped with keeping new users behaved but it had to be removed when people started intentionally making terrible threads just to get into Post Hell.

Well, there's a formal warning system in place now, so I'd imagine that moderating users is much easier than on the old software.

My two cents (as useless as it may be) is perhaps it'd be better to keep post hell open to the public, and take action against users who deliberately try to populate it. It makes more sense IMO to keep it closed when those extra moderation options aren't available, but they are available.

Post hell can be useful for reference purposes. One way of looking at it is that if someone does something bad, it's almost as if their image is protected if the post in question is removed from public view.

Not everyone might agree with me on this, but this is my stance none the less.

I think having it is a bit of an underrated benefit for users. Not because of the bad posts, but because a lot of context and history gets lost when posts are removed. It is actually the main motivation behind me creating the Hall of Unpleasantness (which, ironically and NOT intentionally enough, happened right around the time of DW's forum software shift, and hence, post hell hiding).

Now - I am 100% against "glorifying" bad posts, I can definitely see where Ling was coming from, there. But I do not see a "post hell" or public "trash bin" as that sort of way - I do believe, if on a forum that I am moderating, if people are actually trying intentionally to get themselves into that forum, then I wasn't moderating enough, simple as that. Does that make me a bit heavy handed or harsh? I hope not. I try to be fair whenever I can. But you have to recognize when a person won't change their ways - and give them an excuse to find another community to be so unpleasant in. (Hopefully, eventually, they find their way into a community of like-minded people, but hey, wishful thinking)

Two post hells for "good" and "bad" shitposts with the former visible so that drama leeches can get their daily fix seems like a ton of effort that the admins could direct into something more constructive.

While the posterity part is nice to have, the lack of visibility could definitely help cool things down when drama builds up, since there would be no reference to continue the argument from.

A couple suggestions if PH is ever made visible to users: 

1. Restrict access to registered users only (it would still be hidden if not logged in).

2. An automated delay of 2-4 weeks before helled threads become publicly visible.

Just now, Blastfrog said:

1. Restrict access to registered users only (it would still be hidden if not logged in).

2. An automated delay of 2-4 weeks before helled threads become publicly visible.

1. I'm okay with.

2. Ehh.... 2 - 4 weeks? Sorry but that's too long. Just make it like it use to be. Make Post hell gre..... available again!

37 minutes ago, dew said:

Two post hells for "good" and "bad" shitposts with the former visible so that drama leeches can get their daily fix seems like a ton of effort that the admins could direct into something more constructive.

One of the best things about the internet is the (fairly) anonymous nature of posting. Drama doesn't typically follow you into the real world. That's a nice relief, when you want to just kick back and have a good time. Which may include being entertained by some strange posts. I'd be surprised if the average person involved in a "Post Helled" thread was a drama leech, considering that label would include most of Doomworld.

4 minutes ago, Linguica said:

no

Though I feel PH was a useful reference, it's probably better this way. Lots of pros and cons to consider, and it seems to me that you want to make these forums a more civil and serious place for discussion than it used to be, and in that case the cons do outweigh the pros.

5 minutes ago, Jimp Argon said:

"Badministrator" fitting title. ;-)

2 minutes ago, RUSH said:

One of the best things about the internet is the (fairly) anonymous nature of posting. Drama doesn't typically follow you into the real world. That's a nice relief, when you want to just kick back and have a good time. Which may include being entertained by some strange posts.

I suggest reddit.

2 hours ago, dew said:

I suggest reddit.

Id upvote that, but upboating was removed from DWF as well :^(

34 minutes ago, Player Lin said:

The funny thing is, ZDooM forum has one Post Hell-like sub-forum when Doomworld forum just get rid of their one. :P

First thing I see there is some brat whining about how SJWs permanently killed Dr. Who. If there's anything positive to be said about the ZDoom forums it's that gameplay modifications gain a lot more traction there than they do elsewhere. I guess its users are a little more amicable than the people who post at IGN, but the only real benefit I've gotten from the ZDoom forums is reading manuals for Doom modifications. In my experience, Doomworld is by far one of the better moderated and more pleasant video game forums to post on. 

Post Hell went the way of the Worst WAD Cacoward.

Refer to the TVTropes page "So Bad It's Horrible/Video Games Other", under "Mods/Doom" for more information, to see what became of the Worst WAD Cacoward, and there, you'll have your answer on what happened to Post Hell.

I think Post Hell should be turned into a slaughtermap, with every thread ever having been banished there reincarnated as a monster. Use the Post Hell theme for the level music. Terry can be the Icon of Sin!

CIF3 anyone? I remember it had a level where Bloodshedder banished you into Post Hell.

It just sucks when you see a fun thread at night and go to sleep expecting to have some entertaining reading material when you wake up, but in the morning everything just disappears. It's like Doomworld doesn't want you to go to bed.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

stuff

... You see a blatantly unpleasant thread that's been stopped in its tracks by the moderators and shoved off to a Post Hell-esque section, so that means the place is poorly moderated?

7 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

... You see a blatantly unpleasant thread that's been stopped in its tracks by the moderators and shoved off to a Post Hell-esque section, so that means the place is poorly moderated?

I never said that the ZDoom forums are poorly moderated. From what I've seen, the moderating there seems to be fairly adequate. But I have posted there, and can say from personal experience that it was like appearing on an episode of Romper Room. 

On 7/15/2017 at 7:18 PM, RUSH said:

One of the best things about the internet is the (fairly) anonymous nature of posting.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on that.

Drama doesn't typically follow you into the real world. That's a nice relief, when you want to just kick back and have a good time. Which may include being entertained by some strange posts.

The general theme seems to be "I enjoyed Post Hell because I found reading stupid bullshit posted by trolls entertaining". Have you considered finding a better source of entertainment? There are a bunch of great TV shows and films you can watch on Netflix nowadays, or y'know, go and play some Doom or read something. Hell, if it's puerile you're after then there's Rick and Morty, and it's far more entertaining than Post Hell was.

I was initially surprised as well when I saw Post Hell had been deprecated, but at this point it's clear that it was the right move. It was a relic from an earlier era of forums (essentially a clone of SomethingAwful's "Comedy Gas Chamber"). Probably I must be getting old because nowadays I find Internet drama more tiresome than entertaining, and online trolling has developed such a nasty side that I really don't want to see it ever put on anything that could be interpreted as a pedestal. 

Post Hell was this forum's excrement-filled toilet bowl, very well overdue a flush.

3 hours ago, fraggle said:

The general theme seems to be "I enjoyed Post Hell because I found reading stupid bullshit posted by trolls entertaining". Have you considered finding a better source of entertainment? There are a bunch of great TV shows and films you can watch on Netflix nowadays, or y'know, go and play some Doom or read something. Hell, if it's puerile you're after then there's Rick and Morty, and it's far more entertaining than Post Hell was.

I was initially surprised as well when I saw Post Hell had been deprecated, but at this point it's clear that it was the right move. It was a relic from an earlier era of forums (essentially a clone of SomethingAwful's "Comedy Gas Chamber"). Probably I must be getting old because nowadays I find Internet drama more tiresome than entertaining, and online trolling has developed such a nasty side that I really don't want to see it ever put on anything that could be interpreted as a pedestal. 

BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY.jpg.dc0c5f6beead6c7e963ca70c39dba382.jpg

3 hours ago, fraggle said:

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on that.

You could have just left it at that.

All that other stuff above is really sounding preachy there. Acting like you have some high horse sense of enlightenment about what is and is not entertainment. Don't have to act so snarky. After all, how could you find anything they pass off as entertainment on TV or Netflix entertaining? (Not joking)