Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Earliest Doom 2 pwad?

We have ORIGWAD for Doom 1, but what about Doom 2? And how did early Doom 2 mapping work anyway? I guess someone had to modify an existing editor so that it would work with the new iwad before anyone could place the new monsters and stuff? I wonder which program was first to support doom2.wad.

It seems it would have been very easy to update the editors to be able to add the new monsters and work with the new iwad to make MAPxx pwads.

According to wiki, Doom 2 was released on 30/09/94, so i was browsing for searching the earliest map after that day, and we probably have a winner!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/s-u/stand

also, a pretty weird fact: the zip info on /idgames says it was released on 10/10/94 (European date release!), but the wad itself it was done in 22/09/94, 8 days before the official release! What is this witchcraft?

Edited by Walter confetti

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

According to wiki, Doom 2 was released on 30/09/94, so i was browsing for searching the earliest map after that day, and we probably have a winner!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/s-u/stand

also, a pretty weird fact: the zip info on /idgames says it was released on 10/10/94 (European date release!), but the wad itself it was done in 22/09/94, 8 days before the official release! What is this witchcraft?

there was an early leaked version of the game that was pretty widespread. it's the unpatchable 1.666

11 hours ago, anotak said:

there was an early leaked version of the game that was pretty widespread. it's the unpatchable 1.666

Or it could be a doom level re-textured with Doom 2 textures...

Also, the 1.666 version isn't the bundle iwad version? If you're not confusing with this: 

There's a second version of 1.666 that is unpatchable since it's the leaked bootleg

stand.wad is actually a remake of another map by the same author, headlong.wad, so my assumptions could be correct!

also i found a map that was released one day before stand.wad, not sure about the creation date checked the file inside the zip and it was made on 3 october 1994, so stand still be the first wad for doom 2:

15 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Or it could be a doom level re-textured with Doom 2 textures...

Also, the 1.666 version isn't the bundle iwad version? If you're not confusing with this: 

The first Doom 2 PWAD was almost certainly a Doom PWAD that had been re-textured / had new monsters added.  A D2 hack of DEU was out pretty fast after the game was released.

There was a leaked version of Doom 2 that came out prior to the official release.  It was labelled v1.666 but was not fully complete - IIRC one major issue was that map29 only had one player start - and it was never supported by the official patches.